May 2011 Moms
Options

Solids

Has anyone started feeding their baby solids yet?   The pediatrician said we could start with cereal whenever we want.  She said we could tell if she was ready if she "seemed interested in us eating food".  My daughter's day care said she may not eat as often if she starts to eat solids... (she drinks 5 bottles while at day care).  I'm not sure how to tell if she is ready though!  We rarely eat around her because we eat dinner after she goes to bed on weekdays and tend to try to eat when she is napping on the weekends.  She definitely is not teething yet.  She is just slightly over 4 months old.  I wanted to see what everyone else was planning to do.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Solids

• Options

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/readyforsolids.htm

That link is a guide to help you know when your DD might be ready for solids.

We are starting our DD between 5-6 months because she is showing several of the readiness signs listed above.  

That website is a great resource for all things solids related. Hopefully it helps you!

• Options
    I've seen similar lists before.  She meets some of them... She is getting close to doubling her birth weight. She sits up well enough and definitely will turn away when she is done eating.   I'm not sure how to tell if she has lost the "tongue-thrust reflex" without actually feeding her food though!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We fed K a very small amount every day or so until she stopped the tongue thrust. After that she was balls to the wall with food!! Each baby is different. You could try her out and if it's a no go give it a few days and then try it again???

Good Luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We started yesterday. Our pedi roughly recommends 3 weeks of cereal (first week rice, second week barley, third week oatmeal) before going to veggies. He also says that as soon as a baby starts eating about 32 oz a day, to start considering solids. She has a small amount of rice cereal in the morning--maybe a teaspoon or two. She seems to really enjoy it!
    My daughter is my hero.
  • Options

We have started LO on solids. He still has the tongue thrust but he enjoys trying to eat the food. He voluntarily opens his mouth when the spoon comes towards him. We are just doing a few tablespoons once a day and only a couple of teaspoons worth is actually being swallowed. We did three days of rice cereal and today we did mashed up banana which he seemed to really like. 

GL :) 

• Options

I'm planning to wait until 6 months.  He isn't showing any interest in food yet and honestly, solids poop is gross.  LOL.

I'm also planning to skip cereal and go straight to fresh fruits and veggies.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"