Preemies
Options

Anyone else only going to have one baby, especially after having a preemie?

I do not think I can mentally go through this ordeal again.  I was in the hospital for 4 weeks myself (went into PTL at 24 weeks), 1 week at home on bedrest afterwards, and then my son was in NICU for 74 days.  I know I would be categorized as high risk this time and monitored more carefully, but I think of the worst case scenario and think I will be happy with what I have - one healthy little guy,
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone else only going to have one baby, especially after having a preemie?

• Options

Sign me up for one baby!

My original plan was to have 2 close in age (DH and I are older, didn't want to wait too long AND it took us almost 2 years to get preg with DD).  Then after having DD at 31 weeks, the stress of all that brings, not to mention how it completely unraveled my DH and I have been basically single parenting since she's been home I really can't see how another baby would be a good idea.

So I plan to enjoy my one and only little girl.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Yep.  H is getting the big V as soon as my IUD runs out in 5 years. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am right there with you! Fear has definitely overtaken my desire for anymore babies. I cant imagine running the risk of ever putting about baby through what my LO went through....even thought the odds are literally probably one in a million espeically with a scheduled c-sec which I would have to have.

Maybe I will adopt.

• Options
    imageCrystal318:

I am right there with you! Fear has definitely overtaken my desire for anymore babies. I cant imagine running the risk of ever putting about baby through what my LO went through....even thought the odds are literally probably one in a million espeically with a scheduled c-sec which I would have to have.

Maybe I will adopt.

We are considering adoption, possibly of an older child.  We'll see.  Too much to think about right now.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    For a while we were scared at the idea of another.  As Andrew got older we really wanted another and thought he would benefit from a sibling.  We met with an MFM and they were optimistic and we were ready to try again.  Now we have 2 healthy happy kids, we are definitely done!!!!
  • Options

Our plan was only to have one but if God has another plan for us we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I've been tucking away T's outfits just in case.

I wasn't supposed to be able to have children without help...so you never know. I would be very nervous if I was pg again, though. We don't know why I went into premature labor - if I had some sort of issue then at least I'd know. It was *probably* stress. Probably. ...but you can't prove that. :/

• Options

We're still on the fence.  MFM thinks I can have another one and just be closely monitored - but I was already with an MFM with Kevin (not for pre-e, for placenta previa) so you think that would have helped.

I have an appt with the OB who delivered Kevin in November to get her opinion.  My OB (who didn't deliver Kevin) thinks I can try again too.  We'll see.

• Options

DH is super nervous about it, but I have faith in medicine and science and I feel like we could prevent another preterm situation.

We found out today that my placental pathology showed signs of infection which caused my pPROM. I will be learning more about this, and learning how to prevent this infection happening again. Interestingly, this infection presents itself mostly in women with fertility issues. We conceived on a medically mandated break, totally by surprise, and we feel really lucky that even with his prematurity, Jonah is doing great.

I want to be pregnant again, I want Jonah to have a sibling, and I want to see my DH fall in love with another baby all over again. I just hope it's in the cards for us. If it's not, my life is already complete.

• Options
    Me! Take my age, infertility issues, and 147 days in the NICU - I ain't going through that again! Plus, I think we got so lucky with how well Andrew is doing that I really don't want to tempt fate. Our family is not complete though, so we are looking into adoption.
  • Options
    I would like 1 more.  I haven't asked my Dr. if I would be considered high risk again if it was a singleton.  I'm thinking not, because our preterm delivery was really for a twin issue.  My body seemed to be happy staying pregnant, so hopefully I can carry the next one to term without an issue.
  • Options
    I'm another preemie board that started here but, went private and there are a ton of girls that have gone on to have there second baby full term...  The best thing to do is to make an appointment with a perinotologist and talk about your risks. 
    10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....
  • Options

I had a much "less stress" premie - 34 weeks - then you it seems.  We always wanted 2.  Until ds was about 18 months I wouldn't even consider a second.  Now he is almost 3 I'm ready for another.  I think you may change your mind you may not but whatever you decide has to be right for you and your family.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's difficult to think about.  I go back and forth.  My son was born at 35w and is doing GREAT, but I was on bedrest at home for 4 1/2 months due to IC (and that does not go away with subsequent pregnancies).  I was also very stressed out when he was in the NICU, had PPD, and my son had severe colic, so basically I was trapped in the house for the better part of 9 months.  Maybe when those memories fade, we can think about another!
  • Options
    DH and I want another baby but after going thru one of the scariest times in my life and almost dying I think I will need some serious hypnosis if not counseling and being closely monitored by my high risk obgyn.  At my 6 week postpartum visit I was told not to try for atleast 2 years.  I was told that I will have the same problems that I had this pregnancy and that scares me to death.  We are driving down into Center City Philadelphia everyday since July 27th and our daughter is not even home yet! 
    Olivia Madison born July 27th, 2011 at 27w6d at 10:44pm 1lb 11oz 13 1/2 inches delivered c-section due to Severe Preeclampsia and PIH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"