Adoption

How to choose agency

DH and I are starting to research adoption since it looks like IVF #2 isn't going to work.  We don't have a lot of information yet but are pretty sure that we want to domestic for a number of reasons.  We would like an infant and are both under 30 (28 & 26) and I know many countries require you to be 30 to persue adoption.

We have requested information from a couple agencies in our area (MA), but I have no clue where to go from here on choosing an agency.  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

TTC since Jan. 2010 DX Unexplained infertility
3 IUI's w/Clomid & Ovidrel=all BFNs
3 IVF (2 Fresh, 1 frozen) =BFN
Jan 2012 New RE & Fresh Cycle =BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 October 2014
Meet with RE March 2015
2 Frozen & 1 Fresh IVF= BFNs
September 2015 Frozen ET=BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How to choose agency

• We're in MA too! Though we adopted in another state.

For us, one big thing was either attending an in-person orientation or calling the agency and talking to them. Doing that will give you some sort of idea if they "click" with you. We knew right away we didn't want to go with one agency, and I was very turned off by a person I talked to at another agency (as well as a law firm).

If you talk to more than one and you don't know which to go with, you can look at a number of factors, including how transparent they are with their fees, how comfortable you are with their contracts, how much birthparent counseling they provide, whether they provide references and what those references tell you, what their waits are like, etc. Adoption for Dummies has a list of questions to ask potential agencies as well.

GL! And give it some time. We noodled over the decision for a few months.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"