Single Parents

New Single Parents-see above

There is now a FAQ post to refer to for those who are brand new to this process.  There is lots of useful information here so please see above before posting.  Your questions might get answered without even having to ask them! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New Single Parents-see above

• Full of legal advice, some of which is incorrect.
  • Hmmm, I thought the mod and I edited all of that out.  She wanted to be sure that there was nothing pertaining to legal advice in the post.  Would you feel comfortable saying what should be taken out or if you want you can PM me?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • From yesterday:I think FAQ's on this board are a bit scary, because they are essentially legal advice. It would be a bad idea for TB to recommend legal steps, but practical advice for common situations makes sense.Can you put the part about it being state law which means that it varies from state to state in nice big bold text and make it #1? #2 bothers me --- It equates putting the father on the bc with giving the child the father's name and these are two different things (at least in many states). No, you aren't legally forced to put him on the bc, but if you know he is the father it may make sense to do it. This issue is entirely separate from that of the child's name.#3 state law issue - may be true, but by putting 'most' people tend to assume it includes their state - I would change it to 'some' or 'many' unless you want to research and be sure that it truly is the case in 'most' states#4 is an issue that varies by state. In many states abuse in the past does NOT qualify you for a current protective order. Bad advice. Edit it to recommending women inquire as to whether their situation qualifies for a protective order. #6 There are some situations where perhaps the mother shouldn't, so I don't love that it is made as a blanket statement, but it is likely true for most women. There should be more advice about how to find a lawyer --- contacting the state women's bar association or the women's bar section of the state bar association, going to court to ask about how people who can't afford attorneys can get representation, etc. Lots of people on this board manage this so it seems like there should be a paragraph on that if possible. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"