Birth Stories

Anxiety med made me completely forget my childs birth

I was having alot of anxiety about becomming a parent and I really started to freak out the morning of my c-section .  Well, unfortunately I let my DH and doctor talk me into taking some anxiety medication to help calm me down.   That said, I can barely remember anything about my daughters birth.  What a mistake that was.  So my birth story stinks.
If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anxiety med made me completely forget my childs birth

• Please don't feel bad! The only thing I had was a half-dose epidural (at 6 centimeters after a swollen cervix) and I'm amazed when people can remember that one thing happened at 3pm or that they pushed for 1 hour 45 minutes. I always wonder if someone was taking note for them!

It may have not even been the anxiety meds. 

• Don't feel too bad either. I really can't remember a good couple hours of DD's birth...from about 6:30pm until well after she was born (at 9:14 pm) is a complete fog. I had only an epidural (which didn't work well either...I seem to remember that happening). I was in a such a fog I think I had a hard time bonding with her...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with previous posters. I was a labor nurse when I had my baby. I delivered him at MY hospital, with MY friends. I had a great epidural and really was not super anxious at all. That being said, I have forgotten A LOT about my birth. I will also tell you that having been a labor nurse, I have listened to patients talk to family members after their births and they are telling a story that I remember clearly being (sometimes) completely different. I think what you're experiencing is completely normal.
    TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012
  • imageXSailoretteX:

I'm amazed when people can remember that one thing happened at 3pm or that they pushed for 1 hour 45 minutes. I always wonder if someone was taking note for them!

I did have my husband take notes for me! A friend who recently had a baby 2 months before me told me that she forgot almost everything...so I made sure DH marked down times etc! haha! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Have your DH write down as much as he remembers. Your daughter's birth story is special because her daddy gets to tell it. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • imageXSailoretteX:

Please don't feel bad! The only thing I had was a half-dose epidural (at 6 centimeters after a swollen cervix) and I'm amazed when people can remember that one thing happened at 3pm or that they pushed for 1 hour 45 minutes. I always wonder if someone was taking note for them!

It may have not even been the anxiety meds. 

I still miss bits and pieces of time during my labor. I just remember lots of clinging to the bedrail and back labor. I was so exhausted that I don't remember a lot of her first few hours of life and her first few months were a blur due to sleep deprivation. :(

ETA: I also had a failed epidural. Interesting how many of us had that issue and can't remember much... 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Although I remember a lot about my DS's birth, I remember my vision being really blurry. I guess crying so much from the pain I have no idea...Sleep deprivation, something blurred my vision and the ending of my birth is a blur.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"