Cincinnati Babies

unmedicated/alternative birth options?

I really wanted to birth my baby at home, but it looks like that might not be a possibility since certified midwives are not allowed to attend home births in this area. Does anyone know of any other options where I might be allowed to have a water birth, use alternative birthing positions, etc.?
Anniversary

Re: unmedicated/alternative birth options?

• Depending on where in the Tri-state area you live I could possibly get you in touch with some midwives who have done homebirths. There are a few women at my church who have done home births recently that live in Nky.

As for other options there is a birthing center up in Dayton but as far as I know it is first come first serve and has limited beds-- so unless you live near Miami Valley Hospital I personally wouldnt want to risk having to drive an hour to get to the birthing center only to find out that its full and I will end up in the hospital anyway, know what I mean?

I used the TriHealth Nurse Midwives and delivered at Good Sam and I felt that they were very accomodating for my desire to want a natural labor. I had some complications in my pregnancy and had to be induced at 37 weeks but even with my induction they definitely let me have as much say as possible (I was vehemently against the use of cytotec so they let me use cervadil instead). They were pretty flexible with my monitoring and I was able to walk around/move the entire time. I also used the birthing tubs at Good Sam during my induction and they were WONDERFUL! I don't think they are used very often and you have to request it but it as great-- they don't allow you to deliver in the tub but you can labor in it as long as you want. They also allow you to push in whatever position is most comfortable-- my friend just had a baby and they caught her baby while she was on hands and knees. Let me know if you want anymore info :-) I am using them again for this pregnancy too!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was set up to use the birthing center in Dayton and it didn't work out (they were full when I was set to go in after laboring at home), but I had hired a doula and HIGHLY recommend it.  I was in the regular birthing unit, but only had a heplock in most of the time and got to labor in all sorts of positions, in the tub, and went natural for 24 hrs until I had to get drugs and an eventual c-section (not because of anything that happened in labor, DD was in a funky position that they didn't realize until they actually saw during the c-section).   I have great OBs who are extremely supportive of natural birth and water births.  I think that for me was key to getting what I wanted out of my experience as well as finding a fabulous doula.  A good doula is worth every penny. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageskyllingstadl:

Depending on where in the Tri-state area you live I could possibly get you in touch with some midwives who have done homebirths. There are a few women at my church who have done home births recently that live in Nky.

As for other options there is a birthing center up in Dayton but as far as I know it is first come first serve and has limited beds-- so unless you live near Miami Valley Hospital I personally wouldnt want to risk having to drive an hour to get to the birthing center only to find out that its full and I will end up in the hospital anyway, know what I mean?

I used the TriHealth Nurse Midwives and delivered at Good Sam and I felt that they were very accomodating for my desire to want a natural labor. I had some complications in my pregnancy and had to be induced at 37 weeks but even with my induction they definitely let me have as much say as possible (I was vehemently against the use of cytotec so they let me use cervadil instead). They were pretty flexible with my monitoring and I was able to walk around/move the entire time. I also used the birthing tubs at Good Sam during my induction and they were WONDERFUL! I don't think they are used very often and you have to request it but it as great-- they don't allow you to deliver in the tub but you can labor in it as long as you want. They also allow you to push in whatever position is most comfortable-- my friend just had a baby and they caught her baby while she was on hands and knees. Let me know if you want anymore info :-) I am using them again for this pregnancy too!

Thank you...this was very helpful. I only live about three miles from Good Sam, so if home birthing doesn't work out, then it's good to know there's a wonderful alternative. Would you mind PMing me the contact information for the midwives you were talking about? Thanks!

Anniversary
  • We used Trihealth Nurse midwives and took hypnobirthing classes to prepare for a natural birth.
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with everything Lauren said.  I delivered wtih Trihealth Nurse Midwives with my first pregnancy at Good Sam, and saw Dr. Bowen and Dr. Wall with the Bowen Center (delivered at Bethesda North) for my second pregnancy.  I had a good experience with both practices but had a much better delivery experience at Bethesda with Dr. Bowen.  These two practices are probably your best bets for natural childbirth and a hospital delivery.  The midwives are wonderful, as are Dr. Bowen/Wall.

Dr. Bowen/Wall: https://www.thebowencenter.com
    Trihealth Nurse Midwives: https://www.trihealth.com/whe/tnm/tnm_index.aspx

If you really want a homebirth, Dr. Bowen does backups for homebirth moms.  There is a Cincinnati Homebirth Circle that has monthly meetings where you can get info on using a homebirth midwife, and there is a midwife group that has recently started doing some meet and greets.  It will be rare for you to be able to find info online about a homebirth midwife, attending the homebirth circle would be the best way as people would rather give you info in person. 

If you are on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/CincinnatiHomebirthCircle

I also whole heartedly agree with pp regarding getting a doula.  It made a huge difference with my recent delivery with my daughter!!  I highly recommend Jenni Kershaw: https://www.professionaldoulaservices.com/.  I would also recommend taking a natural childbirth course, such as Bradley Method (what we did) or hypnobirthing.

Hope that helps!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Doodlebug914- who did you take the Bradley Method classes through? I emailed two people in Cincinnati. How much were the courses if you don't mind me asking?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"