D.C. Area Babies
Options

return of the reflux (total vent)

Since babies are "supposed" to outgrow reflux around their first birthday, our ped. has been gently encouraging us to cut down T's reflux meds over the past year.  At her last birthday she was on a relatively high dose of Prevacid as well as Erythromycin (a mild antibiotic meant to speed up her digestion so there's less in her stomach at bedtime to have acid coming back up).  We weaned her off the E maybe six months ago, but trying to lower her Prevacid dose was a disaster.  After a few weeks, she was up every night around 9:30 crying in pain and just cranky in the morning from it.  We put her back on the old dose and she was better within a week or so.  Now she's having the same symptoms again, so I think it's time to increase her meds.  I just hope the ped. is willing to see that even though most kids have outgrown reflux by age two, my kid hasn't :/
imageimageimage

Re: return of the reflux (total vent)

• Options
    Aw, that stinks. Poor little T.
  • Options

oh, I am really sorry

have you tried not feeding her for a couple of hours before bed time? and she's sleeping with her head elevated?

you should also ask your pedi about milk, it can exacerbate the problem; you may want to go to Lactaid

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We limit her food before bedtime, but she goes to bed too early to cut out food for hours before.  She has dinner at daycare at 4:30 (thank goodness they're willing to do this, since they provide all the food for the kids) and we give her a small snack around 5:30/5:45 when she gets home.  I think it's time to go back to a 4 goldfish maximum for a while, though.  She's in bed between 6:45 and 7 and really isn't ready to stay up any later.

She had problems with dairy for her first year, but we've mostly gotten past that.  Dairy usually made her gassy and gave her related lower "stomach" pains, but didn't really affect the reflux.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm sorry, poor T. :(
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry - wishing you an understanding pedi and an Rx that helps you and Ms. T feel better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"