Preemies
Options

Acid Reflux?

DS has had a few episodes where milk has been coming out of his nose. I've spoken with his pediatrician about it, but she says that if it's not a significant amount, then she wouldn't give him zantac. She did go ahead and write the prescription for it, but I think i will hold off on it until next week when we see her again. What i've decided to do is  have DH take pictures of him really quickly before i suction him so that the pediatrician can see exactly what we are talking about and then determine if it's enough for him to be put on Zantac. A NICU nurse told me about a wedge that I can put under his bassinet or crib so that he is at a 30 degree angle after feedings so that the food wont come back up. What strategies have you all used?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Acid Reflux?

• Options
    DS has acid reflux and takes Famotidine. We were also told to keep him upright for at least 15 min after he eats.  He was still miserable when we'd put him in his bassinet.  The ped said we could try elevating his bed so he'd sleep more upright.   We looked up a napnanny online, but they were kind of expensive. The pad in our bassinet is quite thin and flexible, so we fashioned our own nap nanny by rolling up towels around the edge of the bassinet under the pad.  The towels are stacked higher under the head so that he's propped up more. We had to put them all around though because when the towels were only propping up under his head, he'd slide over. It seemed to help. 
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the piece of advice! We will try it tonight!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wonder what a "significant amount" is?  This has been happening to DD and it is horrifying.  She won't breathe and it freaks me out.  She also spits up so much out of her mouth.  It just flows out because there is so much.  We keep her upright for 30 minutes after eating (so annoying in the middle of the night when I just want to go back to bed) but as soon as we put her in her crib she is still spitting up so much that we go through two outfit changes every night.  I have wanted her to get something for reflux since her first MD appointment but the doctor doesn't seem to be concerned.  I will be pushing for something at her 2 month appointment next week. 
  • Options

Many of us have reflux babies....it can be very frustrating!

Amanda--if she is having trouble breathing and going through several outfits, its time to talk about reflux meds for sure. If your pedi won't do it, ask for a GI consult.

mybb--Infant positioned are generally considered a SIDS risk. You can elevate your crib mattress to create an angle but I would not suggest making your own "nap nanny."  Other things you can do to help with reflux--hold him upright for 30 minutes after every feeding, feed more often in smaller amounts, and discuss the option of thickening feeds (if you are bottle feeding). If he is not uncomforable but is just spitting then you have a "happy spitter" and many pedis don't medicate for that. If he is uncomfortable, having trouble gaining weight, or avoiding feeds then you need the meds for sure.

• Options

My daughter has acid reflux and she was spitting up out of her nose a lot too.  Our pedi suggested we try Enfamil AR before prescribing Zantac and it is actually helping a lot! As of now I don't think we need the medication.  The spit ups are a lot less frequent and seem to be less painful.  If you breastfeed you could try adding rice cereal to thicken it (but check with your doctor first.)

We have the crib mattress at a 30 degree angle too but she still spits up a lot there so she sleeps in the fisher price rocknplay at a higher angle which really helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekck329:

Many of us have reflux babies....it can be very frustrating!

Amanda--if she is having trouble breathing and going through several outfits, its time to talk about reflux meds for sure. If your pedi won't do it, ask for a GI consult.

mybb--Infant positioned are generally considered a SIDS risk. You can elevate your crib mattress to create an angle but I would not suggest making your own "nap nanny."  Other things you can do to help with reflux--hold him upright for 30 minutes after every feeding, feed more often in smaller amounts, and discuss the option of thickening feeds (if you are bottle feeding). If he is not uncomforable but is just spitting then you have a "happy spitter" and many pedis don't medicate for that. If he is uncomfortable, having trouble gaining weight, or avoiding feeds then you need the meds for sure.

Thanks for this! We do hold him upright after each feeding, the ped said 40 minutes, or we place him in his bouncer which is at an angle as well. She did mention something about thickening his feeds but then decided against it since I was breastfeeding and already adding neosure 22 to my BM for extra calories. She didn't want to take him off of that to go to formula. But when i told her the amount, she didn't think it was anything to worry about. I think I have a "happy spitter" because it freaks me out way more then it seems to affect him. It usually only comes out of his nose, and not in a large consistency, just enough for me to say that there is something coming out of his nose! I did take some pics and i'm ready for the dr appt next week to see what she thinks. He is still progressing in every way, sleeps fine, eats well, and is gaining weight! So i guess i shouldn't be too worried?!

Also, I may talk to her about that Enfamil and see what she says. I mean whatever works. It doesn't seem to bother him, he just doesn't like it when i use the suction bulb to clear out his nose, but besides that, he's a happy camper. I'm holding off on the meds until she says anything.

• Options

DS1 had severe reflux - not eating at all (tube fed) prior to medicine, he would scream & arch his back during feedings.  At first he had silent reflux. Later it got explosive.

DS2 spit up his nose a lot, but didn't have the other symptoms.   He was gaining weight well.  He as fussy often at feedings (but didn't arch his back or spit up) so we gave reflux meds a whirl but they didn't really help.  I think maybe it was also his tummy hurting.  So we went on without meds and just burped very frequently, smaller more frequent meals.  he sleeps in a rock n Play. 

If your kiddo is fussy when/after eating or isn't growing well you should ask your pedi about trying meds.  Otherwise I'd just try to burp really well and do more frequent/small bottles

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"