Preemies
Options

Preemie Genetics?

This might be a stupid question, but my husband was a preemie (but he is a twin) and I was about a week early....

could our babies be premature based on genetics? Or are the factors for premature births not even related to genetics?

Re: Preemie Genetics?

• Options
    First of all there are such a variety of reasons for premature births.  The average twin gestation is 35 weeks, so it's not too surprising that your DH was a preemie.  1 week early is still considered full term.  My sister and I were both past our due dates when we were born and so was my nephew.  I don't think in most cases their is any genetic link to premature birth.
  • Options
    I don't know.  My mom said that both me and my brother were a tad early, but she also said that dating pregnancies was much less accurate back then.  
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, we aren't doctors here (actually I think there are a few, but you get the idea).  This is a board for women who have had preemies.  We do get "can you help, a friend of mine just had a preemie" posts as well.  This is just kind of weird.  No one can answer this question for you.  You need to speak with your doctor.  For your sake, I hope you don't have a preemie.  It is a hard road...

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    imagekatie4253:

Well, we aren't doctors here (actually I think there are a few, but you get the idea).  This is a board for women who have had preemies.  We do get "can you help, a friend of mine just had a preemie" posts as well.  This is just kind of weird.  No one can answer this question for you.  You need to speak with your doctor.  For your sake, I hope you don't have a preemie.  It is a hard road...

This.

Based on what you said, I doubt those two things alone could set you up for a life of preemie-dom.

If you have other family risk factors (which your dr can tell you about) those are a better indication of if you may have a predisposition to having a disorder which could cause a baby to be born early.

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    imagekatie4253:

Katie will always tell you like it is Yes

...and if you were to mesh and get a baby at somewhere between 35-39 weeks gestation? not too shabby.

At any rate - hope you don't have to walk this route.

MRS ALICE YOUR BABIES HAVE CRABS ON THEIR BUTTS!!!!!!!aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaCUTE!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"