Military Families

Finally!!

I've been off BC since January and I've already lost track of what cycle this is.? This is our first pregnancy.? Hopefully it's sticky.? :) I tried FertilityAid from GNC two cycles ago. It made my period like 10 days long and my cycle went kind of crazy. Finally, I got my period on CD 31 (maybe it was 30) and it was only 6 days. I started temping but it was all over the place so I thought it was an AO cycle bc of the FertilityAid. On CD 21 I had what I thought was a short period. It was red but really light. So light I could have used one pad the entire time. I continued to spot for over a week but it was brown mixed with CM. By boobs were also hurting really bad since the short period. They hurt so bad that I didn't want to wear a bra or be touched. I really thought I eff-ed my self up by taking that crap bc of all the spotting and short irregular period. Since I thought I screwed it all up I called the dr and she ordered a blood test to rule out pregnancy. I went to spin class that night and there was more spotting in that am (yesterday). She called me and confirmed the pregnancy but wanted me to come back in Thursday for more blood work. She also said my hcG was in the 500's. I went to my PC dr bc of the spotting. He said to lay of the spinning until Monday or so and he gave me an EDD of May19th, exactly3 months before I get out of the Army. Taking FetilityAid was kind of dumb and I have no idea if it contributed at all. This cycle I did everything I wasn't supposed to do if pregnant (clean the litter-box, drank, eat sushi and deli meat) bc I thought I was out for sure. This was the cycle that I kind of gave up so I really didn't think it would happen.? And finally to my question! My EDD is May 19th. My BIL is getting married in May in Dallas, 8 hrs away. My question is, will the dr let me travel that far that close to my due date? How big of a deal would it he if I ended up giving birth in Dallas when I'm stationed at For Riley? TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Finally!!

• As it turns out, paragraphs on the iPad don't work out. Sorry guys!
  • imageLisaBea:
      And finally to my question! My EDD is May 19th. My BIL is getting married in May in Dallas, 8 hrs away. My question is, will the dr let me travel that far that close to my due date? How big of a deal would it he if I ended up giving birth in Dallas when I'm stationed at For Riley? TIA!

It would be a big deal. First, no, your doctor is not going to give you the okay to travel that far when you are that close to your due date. Second, you are not going to want to travel that far then- you will be huge, exhausted, peeing constantly, and the car ride may cause you to go into labor or you could develop a blood clot. Third, TRICARE will not cover your delivery at a hospital other than the one you are assigned to. Delivery of a term baby is not considered an emergency, and you need to be at your assigned hospital with your assigned medical staff. Check with TRICARE in your region for specifics to find out the distance you are allowed to travel in the 3rd trimester. I was not allowed to go farther than 1 hour away from my MTF after 32 weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • First of all CONGRATS!!!!

Secondly, don't worry yourself about "doing everything you weren't supposed to" because it's not likely that you caused any harm, and it's in the past so no point in stressing over it. :)

Finally - only you can answer "how big of a deal" it would be for you to give birth elsewhere. But, it is HIGHLY unlikely that your doctor will be okay with you traveling any amount of distance so close to your due date. Not to mention, you might end up giving birth before your EDD (it is just an estimate after all). And on that note, if you are still pregnant, you'll be full term at that point, and trust me, you probably won't even want to travel very far! I felt great all the way to going into labor, but I still didn't want to be confined to any one position for very long and I didn't want to travel. Most of my friends have hit their threshold for traveling around 33 weeks.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageGreenFlamingo7:

It would be a big deal. First, no, your doctor is not going to give you the okay to travel that far when you are that close to your due date. Second, you are not going to want to travel that far then- you will be huge, exhausted, peeing constantly, and the car ride may cause you to go into labor or you could develop a blood clot. Third, TRICARE will not cover your delivery at a hospital other than the one you are assigned to. Delivery of a term baby is not considered an emergency, and you need to be at your assigned hospital with your assigned medical staff. Check with TRICARE in your region for specifics to find out the distance you are allowed to travel in the 3rd trimester. I was not allowed to go farther than 1 hour away from my MTF after 32 weeks.

Well that sucks. I figured it was a long shot, but I had to ask. A friend of mine had to go to a funeral close to here due date and the dr gave her the ok. He tried to be funny and made her promise she wouldn't go into labor until she got back. She ended up giving birth on leave. Thanks for the info! You're always so helpful. :)
  • imageGreenFlamingo7:

TRICARE will not cover your delivery at a hospital other than the one you are assigned to. Delivery of a term baby is not considered an emergency, and you need to be at your assigned hospital with your assigned medical staff. Check with TRICARE in your region for specifics to find out the distance you are allowed to travel in the 3rd trimester. I was not allowed to go farther than 1 hour away from my MTF after 32 weeks.

I did not have this issue. I ended up giving birth at home. But, before I chose that route I spoke with tricare and they said global maternity would cover me for delivery of a baby at any hospital if I happened to not be close enough to my MTF, even if it was a normal vaginal delivery. ... I don't know if this is different for actual AD soldiers, I'm a dependent, but this is just what I was told.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • GF, I have another question for you. Tuesday I had a blood test done and another one today and everything looks really good, except the light bleeding. The dr is having me come in tomorrow after I finish UPL class so she can check me out. What can I expect after that? How often do they see you? I guess what I'm wondering is what to expect on post. I like to plan everything and I usually want to know everything that's going to happen and when.
  • First off, if you go into labor away from your MTF its not the end of the world. You call your doc on the way to the ER, they'll put in an authorization with Tricare and all is good. Second, travel while not recommended isn't necessarily prohibited, but you won't be able to plan it until the week of as pregnancies can change by the hour. For your latest question, you should be seen monthly until around 32 weeks. An ultrasound at 11-12 and one at 20 are the norm. At 28-32 weeks you'll start going every other week, then at 36 you'll go weekly. Good luck!
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageLisaBea:
    This cycle I did everything I wasn't supposed to do if pregnant (clean the litter-box, drank, eat sushi and deli meat) bc I thought I was out for sure. This was the cycle that I kind of gave up so I really didn't think it would happen. 

And finally to my question! My EDD is May 19th. My BIL is getting married in May in Dallas, 8 hrs away. My question is, will the dr let me travel that far that close to my due date? How big of a deal would it he if I ended up giving birth in Dallas when I'm stationed at For Riley? TIA!

Regarding doing the things you weren't supposed to do: What's done is done.  Just be careful as you move forward, its all you can really do.  Worrying about what's already passed will accomplish nothing.

About the traveling...most likely your doctor isn't going to OK travel that close to your EDD.  Mine said no air travel after 36 weeks, and I'm pretty sure she'd have veto'd a drive that long had I asked as well.  My understanding from a question I've seen asked at a Navy class I was at is that if you happened to give birth somewhere besides where you were stationed, that Tricare would cover you.  That said, I wouldn't recommend it.  At that point there is comfort in knowing your providers and knowing the game plan for delivery.  I can also tell you that at this point in time long drives would not be comfortable (heck, sometimes walking isn't) and that things can change very quickly in terms of keeping you and baby safe (pre-e, abruption, etc).

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• imageLisaBea:
    GF, I have another question for you. Tuesday I had a blood test done and another one today and everything looks really good, except the light bleeding. The dr is having me come in tomorrow after I finish UPL class so she can check me out. What can I expect after that? How often do they see you? I guess what I'm wondering is what to expect on post. I like to plan everything and I usually want to know everything that's going to happen and when.

I was seen at MTF clinics at that point in my pregnancy (I've since switched to Standard and am seeing a civilian provider now).  I had a 'registration' (aka history, paperwork and blood tests) appt at 8 weeks.  Appts were pretty much monthly after that, with the first u/s being done between 10-12 weeks. 

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• imageLisaBea:
    GF, I have another question for you. Tuesday I had a blood test done and another one today and everything looks really good, except the light bleeding. The dr is having me come in tomorrow after I finish UPL class so she can check me out. What can I expect after that? How often do they see you? I guess what I'm wondering is what to expect on post. I like to plan everything and I usually want to know everything that's going to happen and when.

if your pregnancy is regular and not high risk then you usually don't get seen again until about 12 weeks. ( at least base hospital here is like that)  and that's when you get your next ultrasound.   I believe at that point you get seen every 6ish weeks depending on circumstances. All hospitals are different though, even base ones.   I always make my appointments the day after.  The way our base hospit works is that you get a different doctor pretty much every time you go, but you can ask for a specific one so that's what I've been doing.   Also in the next few weeks you can start signing up for classes even though you usually have to be over 32 weeks in order to go to them. some of them fill up super quick and you have to schedule way ahead. 

• Thanks ladies.  All of your answers were pretty helpful.  :)
  • I was huge at the end of my pregnancy and not for any amount of money would I have taken a long drive, second I would be worried about the long car ride home. Things down there are pretty sore PP. All that being said I would probably not go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"