Preemies
Options

New here...

Hi, my name is Jessica and I had my DS at 28w1d due to severe pre-e. I had an emergency c-section, and DS spent exactly 8 weeks (went in on a Monday and left on a Monday) in the NICU. It was definitely a roller coaster of events from minor infections to the dr's thinking that my son may have something called hirschprung's disease. his respiration on his own took a while to kick in, so we passed all of the machines (ventilator, c-papp, nasal canula) but once the infection passed, he got back on track and was out of the hospital within 1.5 weeks. He is definitely a blessing. Now that we are at home with him, things are much more different than in the hospital. Of course he is a lot more alert and bubbly, but sometimes he makes some noises in his sleep or what sounds like uncomfortable grunts and I don't know if this is typical. So far, everything about his health has been good. He is steadily gaining weight...was born at 2lb 3oz and now weighs a whopping 5lb 4oz. He takes about 2-3.5 oz every feeding, which is every 3-4 hrs. Sometimes I think those noises are him trying to pass gas, but sometimes they prolong for a while, so it just makes me wonder. Any advice would help! I was so happy to see that the bump had a board for us mommas, and i truly wished I had found it before i left the hospital so that i could've talked and vented with others that understood exactly where i was coming from. Anyway, thanks for reading!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New here...

• Options

Hi there,

Congrats on your little guy being home and doing well!  I posted something similar to your post about the grunting noises once our twins were home from the NICU.  My little ones grunt constantly (I can hear them grunting in their nursery over the baby monitor as I type!)---not just in their sleep, and look as though they are straining at times.  From what I gather---from the ladies here as well as our pediatrician, the grunts are yet another preemie thing that they have to outgrow.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

Dolphin squeaks! That's what I called them. DS has grown out of them :(

Welcome - I'm so glad you found us! Please check out my siggy for more information on TB/Preemie Page.

Congratulations! Please post a picture when you can!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Welcome. Congrats on your baby- glad he is doing well! Grunts are totally normal. Michael sounded like a billy goat for at least a month. :)

Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Options

Welcome and congrats! It sounds like your DS is doing really well.

As PPs said, the grunting is totally a preemie thing-they outgrow them eventually and then you kind of miss them :)

• Options
    Welcome and congratulations!  As PPs said the grunting thing is totally normal and he will outgrow it in time!  
  • Options
    Congrats! To echo PPs - newborns are noisy, whether preemie or full term.  So the grunts are totally normal.  The nugget was so noisy that after her 2AM feeding MH would take her into the living room to sleep in her RnP so I could get a couple hours or real sleep.
  • Options

Hey ladies,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write me back! For the first couple of nights, I definitely had to keep getting up and taking a look at him. my DH kept asking me if DS was ok as well, so i'm glad to know that this is a normal thing. It definitely sounds like he is straining but i swear i never heard this noise when he was in the hospital! It's crazy how much they change from one environment to the other! I'll try to add a pic to my siggy asap :-)

• Options
    Hello and welcome ! Congrats on your LO.  Your NICu stay sounds alot like ours.  I wouldn't worry about the noises unless your LO isn't growing well or seems to be in pain when eating.  Preemies and newborn are just noisy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"