1st Trimester
Options

Fishy burps from prenatal vitamins!!!!!!

So this is totally gross!! Went last week for my first ultrasound and the doc gave me a sample of the prenatal vitamin Citranatal with DHA. He said it helps with the baby's brain development. I totally understand why we need DHA though since we aren't supposed to consume that much fish because of the mercury.

First day I took it I got extremely nauseated and started burping.....well they weren't just burps they were FISHYYY burps. So everytime I would burp I would get more sick b/c of the taste!!

Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions on a low cost prenatal with DHA that doesn't cause fishy burps?

Thanks!!!

Re: Fishy burps from prenatal vitamins!!!!!!

• Options

This happened to me with a fish oil, lemon flavored, liquid gel pill. I was taking it during my second pregnancy. My ob suggested I freeze the pill and take it at night right before bed. It definitely helped.

Currently, I'm taking Expecta  along with the Target brand prenatal. I"ve been taking those prenatals for years and didn't want to switch it up. I've had no burp issues with Expecta.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Options

Can you find Expecta at any drug store over the counter or is this prescribed by your OB?

And you are taking it with an additional prenatal from Target? If you don't mind me asking why are you taking an additional one? Is that better to do? I've heard that doubling up on iron can be an issue. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    And what are the Target pills called? Thanks!!
  • Options

The target ones just say up&up Prenatal vitamins. It has a picture of the pink vitamin on the bottle. The Expecta lipil is just a DHA supplement, so she's not doubling up on her prenatals. I am also taking a regular OTC prenatal with a DHA supplement and an extra folic acid supplement.

I didn't get the fishy burps with my first pregnancy, but I really did this time, so I found Ovega-3. It's a single gelcap dose and is  vegetarian. You can find them online for a decent price. 

I'm hiding from my local boards!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know about one that is specifically prenatal, but I have been taking regular fish oil that has DHA.  Find one that says "no fish burps!" on the front of the bottle.  I have been taking them for months and I have never had one single fish burp.  If I did have fish burps, I would not be able to take them.  I hate fish, I don't eat it, I can't think of anything worse than burping fish all the time! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagecharmschool:
    I don't know about one that is specifically prenatal, but I have been taking regular fish oil that has DHA.  Find one that says "no fish burps!" on the front of the bottle.  I have been taking them for months and I have never had one single fish burp.  If I did have fish burps, I would not be able to take them.  I hate fish, I don't eat it, I can't think of anything worse than burping fish all the time! 
    It was awful!!!! I mean talk about being sick already and then burping up fish!! I'm not much of a fish eater either so I really want to find one that doesn't do this!!! I've heard a lot of people say they take it at night but what if I wake up with fishy burps too! hahaha!!

Thanks girls :)

• Options
    My OB suggested putting them in the fridge and that has helped me a little. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have always found that taking fish oil/DHA right before you go to bed works for me.

For SuzyQ and all March 15 loss moms

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    There is such thing as fish-free DHA, made out of algae.  I take Spring Valley Fish-Free DHA from Wal-mart.  Sooo much better than fishy burps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"