Hawaii Babies
Options

Those that do/have done EASY

Rawley has been napping in his swing about 3 naps/day for 2-3 hours at a time.  He is obviously getting to old and to big (his feet are hanging off the end of it as we speak).  I'm trying to slowly migrate him into the crib for his naps (he sleeps perfectly and with no problem in his crib come nighttime). 

I currently do EASY from the start of when he wakes up from his nap (eat, activity, sleep) all day long and it works great since he sleeps about 2-3 hours so it will be about 3-4 hours between feedings and about 1 hour and 45 minutes of wake time. 

When he naps in his crib, I'm lucky to even get 45 minutes out of him for a nap...that's if he even falls asleep at all.

So for you ladies who currently follow or have followed the EASY program, how do you get past this obstical?  I certainly can't feed him every 2.5 hours because he doesn't really need to eat that much close together.  How do you suggest working with the nap/feeding routine?  

I'm desperate....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
| Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
| Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |

Re: Those that do/have done EASY

• Options

I don't have any tips because I'm there with you! Though, mine has trouble napping ANYWHERE except in my arms. And he's a heavy bugger. I noticed that if he doesn't nap (or naps for 45min), he wants to eat every 2 - 2.5 hours too!

I'm looking forward to the responses! 

PS - I totally laughed out loud at the feet hanging off his swing comment :) 

cai(o)&cullen+ahk
  • Options

We have been doing EASY since LO was 6 weeks old. At first, she also wouldn't nap in her crib. We eventually transitioned her though. Can't remember how old she was when she finally transitioned all naps in the crib. If you really want your LO to start napping in the crib, then I would just continue putting him down there for naps. He may not nap well for the first few days but he will eventually get used to it. If he wakes up after 45 mins, just feed him after 3-4 hours from the last time you fed him. I think what we did was just play with LO if she didn't have a long nap and just wait until the end of the 3 hr cycle for her next feeding.

ETA: we have done a few modifications to EASY as we see fit. One thing we did which you can try too, if he falls asleep in the swing, you can move slowly him to the crib after?  Or, put him down in the crib, if he cries, pick him up and then put him back down? Just keep trying and trying. If he is not interested in napping, then that cycle is a bust. Try it again on the next cycle.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not much help b/c we put LO in the crib as soon as we got home from the hospital and never let her nap in the car seat or swing.... but in regards to the eating, I always nursed her again when she woke up from a short nap.  if she wasn't interested she wouldn't nurse long but she was almost always interested :) I let her lead the way and for the longest time we were nursing every 2-3 hrs, even when she was quite a bit older (like, up until 12 months?)! so, I don't think there is anything wrong with "eating" that frequently but I also don't think there is anything wrong w/doing what Ericka said and spacing out the feedings every 3-4 hrs, either.  I just found it easier to stick with the EASY routine by doing it that way....
  • Options

imagemrspresley:
    I let her lead the way and for the longest time we were nursing every 2-3 hrs, even when she was quite a bit older (like, up until 12 months?)! so, I don't think there is anything wrong with "eating" that frequently but I also don't think there is anything wrong w/doing what Ericka said and spacing out the feedings every 3-4 hrs, either.  I just found it easier to stick with the EASY routine by doing it that way....

Obviously, if LO is clearly hungry, then go ahead and feed him even if it is before the 3 - 4 hr feeding cycle.  I used to EP so my LO would get milk from the bottle and not nurse directly. It was easy for us to keep tabs on how much she's taking in and stick to the 3 hr feeding cycle. It may make a difference if you are nursing.

• Options

Thank you Jaime and Ericka!  What you are explaining totally makes sense regarding just feeding at the end of the 3-4 hour cycle.  I just need to buck up and know that it's going to be a long week or so for him to just get used to the crib.  I just feel like it will be a debacle since the routine/schedule is going so well right now and he just falls asleep so quickly in the swing.  I'm afraid to ruin it Stick out tongue 

Thank you for the tips and suggestions, once we get back from CO next weekend I'm going to try the sleep training 100%.  He will be 6 months then and he will be sleeping in his pack n' play while we are in CO so I don't want to screw him all up.

| Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"