Single Parents
Options

Visitation - what do you do when LO's sick?

DD was supposed to see ex yesterday, but she was sick.  I suppose it wouldn't be an issue if we had a normal situation, but we don't.  His visits are in public places, so I'd be taking her to the mall to spend 2 hours with him.  I said, sorry, she's sick and we're staying home.  Of course he was mad and didn't believe me.  Should I just have taken her anyway and let him deal with the crying, cranky mess that she was? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Visitation - what do you do when LO's sick?

• Options
    If you have a court ordered decree this might be addressed. Ours states that DS doesn't go if he is sick.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Options
    Why couldn't you just reschedule?  I'm not sure how it's technically supposed to work but I think that there should be something that would allow you to reschedule if LO isn't well.  Obviously taking her to the mall for two hours when she's ill isn't a good idea.  If he had visitation at your home I would just say he could deal with it since you deal with it all the time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were never married so there's no decree, and so far there's only a temporary visitation order in place.  It's not addressed and this is the first time it's happened so I wasn't sure what to do.  For her sake, I didn't think she should have to go anywhere so that's why I didn't take her.  I'm sure this is going to come back to bite me in the a$$ though.  My ex is not a reasonable person at.all.
  • Options

imageachase123:
    Why couldn't you just reschedule?  I'm not sure how it's technically supposed to work but I think that there should be something that would allow you to reschedule if LO isn't well.  Obviously taking her to the mall for two hours when she's ill isn't a good idea.  If he had visitation at your home I would just say he could deal with it since you deal with it all the time.

Well, it's kind of hard to reschedule.  I got hosed in our temporary order and he gets to see DD every.single.weekend.  He's supposed to see her one night a week too, but he never does.  So, rescheduling would just be that he gets to see her next weekend, which he gets to anyway.

I can't wait to go back to court on Oct 7th...I'm done with the every weekend B.S.!

And we used to have the visits at my house, but we had some issues so he's not allowed to come over anymore. 

• Options
    The first time we ran into this, I told ex that DS was sick, and he didn't believe me. Since we had a court order, I felt like I didn't have many options, and took DS for his usual visitation. After less than 8 hours with an inconsolable baby, ex called me and asked me to pick him up. Since then, when the kids are sick, all I do is let him know and they stay with me. It might sound bad because DS had to suffer for those 8 hours, but it saved a great deal of misery in the long run.
  • Options

Our agreement states that in the case of LO's sickness, he will stay home, but XH will have the opportunity to make up the visit "in a manner agreed upon by the parties."  I added this last part to prevent him from demanding a date for a make up and me having to cancel plans and such if the time fell on my weekend.

Also, I have decided that if a certain timeframe elapses and he hasn't made up the visit, he loses it.

imageimage. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Jake's dad and I live 4 hours apart.

It's written in our CO that for big sickness (mainly fever and stomach flu), Jake stays home, but that his week-end will be rescheduled at a convenient time for both of us. 

It also says that we can reschedule for extreme weather conditions. I do most of the driving, and I live in Ontario, no way I'm driving 4 hours through a blizzard.

• Options

This is not addressed in our CO, but it always depends on what kind of sick the girls are.  Last Halloween, they were over there for an overnight, and in the morning YDD had a croupy cough.  I went over there and picked her up and took her to emergicare since I usually handle all of the doc visits.  But I've left her over there when she needed breathing treatments and steroids because I trust him to take care of her.  Neither of the kids have been sick much over the past year though, so it hasn't been much of a worry.  If it was really bad, he'd just visit at my house.

• Options
    imagekatie_cj@hotmail.com:

Jake's dad and I live 4 hours apart.

It's written in our CO that for big sickness (mainly fever and stomach flu), Jake stays home, but that his week-end will be rescheduled at a convenient time for both of us. 

It also says that we can reschedule for extreme weather conditions. I do most of the driving, and I live in Ontario, no way I'm driving 4 hours through a blizzard.

Ours says this too.  I'm oh so super excited to travel across the drifted and icy interstate this winter in the dark to pick up LO at the end of his visits b/c XH will be too macho to think he shouldn't go and will pick up for the visit, meaning I'll have to go get him at the end.

imageimage. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  You've given me some good ideas for what to go for in the final visitation agreement.  I'll have to be sure to throw the weather thing in there too.  I was tempted to just take DD to see him while she was sick (nothing would be more fun than letting ex deal with her on a bad day), but I didn't want to make her suffer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"