May 2011 Moms

Bath time and tubs - WWYD?

My LO is four months, but he's over 16 pounds (getting weighed today - eek!) We have the "Whale of a Tub" that has been working beautifully for baths until now.  At this point, he just learned how to stiffen his body to get his bum over the little hill that keeps him sitting up. Plus, he's added a twist, so that if he moves fast enough, he could end up with his face in the water. 

At this point, the baby tub doesn't seem to be a great option, but I don't know how to bathe him safely in the big tub either.  He's so squirmy I cant imagine holding him with one hand and washing with the other.  I thought about trying to lay him down with a big towel under his head so water doesn't get in his years.

I'm hoping one of you has some great wisdom on the subject.  What are you doing/planning to do?  (Ds doesn't look like he'll be sitting up on his own any time soon).

TIA! 

imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bath time and tubs - WWYD?

• We have a Primo Eurobath for the "bigger kid" stages.  The incline is perfect from 3 months until baby is sitting up, and then the other side allows you to bathe baby sitting up. 

Could you also possibly get one of those foam mat things and bathe him in shallow water? Just a thought. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• i sometimes get in the bath with her and then hand off to my hubby.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • what about one of these?

**Kelly***

image image
    Visit The Nest!

• imageLisa Frank:

We have a Primo Eurobath for the "bigger kid" stages.  The incline is perfect from 3 months until baby is sitting up, and then the other side allows you to bathe baby sitting up. 

Could you also possibly get one of those foam mat things and bathe him in shallow water? Just a thought. 

PIP?   

imageimage
  • imageCanuckFan03:
    imageLisa Frank:

We have a Primo Eurobath for the "bigger kid" stages.  The incline is perfect from 3 months until baby is sitting up, and then the other side allows you to bathe baby sitting up. 

PIP?   

Watch the video.    I think she mentions that folded towels would work too.

• Also, I worried all the time about my DS' ears, but he never had any issues. Don't worry too much about getting water in them.

• I didn't even know half these things existed!
    imageimage
  • imageCanuckFan03:
    I didn't even know half these things existed!

The one she is using was a Munchkin brand, but I can't seem to find it online. I wonder if she's right about Target only selling it in-store?? Hmmmm

• Ding ding ding! I found it :)

ETA: This one looks smaller though.  Hmmmmm.  I like the folded towel idea, but I really think you'll want something to help support him as he starts to sit up.  That's why I <3 my Eurobath.

• We have one of these. The little sling keeps him off the tub, and even when he squirms (and he does a lot!) he can't go anywhere. I feel very safe having him on this one.

• imageLisa Frank:
    imageCanuckFan03:
    imageLisa Frank:

PIP?   

I watched the video, the babies ears are submerged in water! I'd be so worried about getting water in his ears!

• imageLisa Frank:

Ding ding ding! I found it :)

ETA: This one looks smaller though.  Hmmmmm.  I like the folded towel idea, but I really think you'll want something to help support him as he starts to sit up.  That's why I <3 my Eurobath.

One of those things I wish I'd known from the beginning.  Getting a tub that would do newborn and toddler size. Although I've never seen this one in canada - but a local baby store does have it.  

imageimage
  • imageSteph&Harry08:
    imageLisa Frank:
    imageCanuckFan03:
    imageLisa Frank:

PIP?   

I watched the video, the babies ears are submerged in water! I'd be so worried about getting water in his ears!

I would probably put a rolled up towel under his head until he gets a bit bigger.  

imageimage
  • imageSteph&Harry08:

And as I stated above, that's something that I really wouldn't worry about.  Water has nothing to with ear infections :)

• I'm really glad I saw this post!  My LO is just like OP's.  She is always wanting to sit up more on the incline & its hard to hold her so she doesn't fall over forward!  I may try the foam bath mat thing.  I have seen these at my local Target!  I just hope she'll be ok laying down until she can actually sit on her own better.

Has anyone tried one of those bath seats someone posted a pic of?

• I've been taking DS "swimming" in the tub with me and he loves it. I do use enough water that there's buoyancy, and I haven't worried about getting his ears wet. Plus I can practise our swimming lesson (which consists of a verbal command and dumping water on his head... no sign he understands the connection yet).
  • imagetokenhoser:
    I've been taking DS "swimming" in the tub with me and he loves it. I do use enough water that there's buoyancy, and I haven't worried about getting his ears wet. Plus I can practise our swimming lesson (which consists of a verbal command and dumping water on his head... no sign he understands the connection yet).

This just reminded me that I was going to tell you all to start signing now :)

• imageLisa Frank:

imagetokenhoser:
    I've been taking DS "swimming" in the tub with me and he loves it. I do use enough water that there's buoyancy, and I haven't worried about getting his ears wet. Plus I can practise our swimming lesson (which consists of a verbal command and dumping water on his head... no sign he understands the connection yet).

This just reminded me that I was going to tell you all to start signing now :)

The only one I remember to do is "all done!", but I figure that's still a good place to start. I have learned all done, more, mommy, daddy, milk, diaper, and cat to get started.

• I've also seen people (mostly multiples so 2 wiggly ones in the tub) use their bumbo. Just put LO in the bumbo in the base of the tub and fill it up with a couple inches of water, you probably need a cup to pour over him. Seems to work before they can sit up in the tub by themselves.

I have never done it, I have just seen other people do it, so I have no idea if this is a huge no-no that will get you hanged, drawn and quarted by the bump mobs.

• imagenycdueinmay:

I've also seen people (mostly multiples so 2 wiggly ones in the tub) use their bumbo. Just put LO in the bumbo in the base of the tub and fill it up with a couple inches of water, you probably need a cup to pour over him. Seems to work before they can sit up in the tub by themselves.

I have never done it, I have just seen other people do it, so I have no idea if this is a huge no-no that will get you hanged, drawn and quarted by the bump mobs.

The Bumbo floats :D And it's not advised to use in water, because of this reason.

• imageLisa Frank:
    imagenycdueinmay:

I've also seen people (mostly multiples so 2 wiggly ones in the tub) use their bumbo. Just put LO in the bumbo in the base of the tub and fill it up with a couple inches of water, you probably need a cup to pour over him. Seems to work before they can sit up in the tub by themselves.

The Bumbo floats :D And it's not advised to use in water, because of this reason.

I have my doubts it will float with her 16lb chunker in it but I can see why that would be a no-no Stick out tongue

• My oldest daughter is 12 and those bath seats were very easy to find in 1999!  Now, not so much!  Anyway, we loved using the bath seat and they have some available on Amazon.  Sometimes the suction is not so great on the bottom of the bath seat.  That would be the only downside to using it.  I'm going to order another one.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Just wanted to chime in on the water in the ears thing. I mentioned to the pedi recently that I was concerned about water getting in her ears the evening before.

His response: "That's great! It will help keep her ears clean! You should let the water dribble in there every time you wash her hair!" 

I was shocked! But, it was so nice to take one worry off my mommy brain! So, please don't worry about the water getting in the ears! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We have the same bathtub you do, and our son does the same thing.

You can take out the little seat in the tub. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have this...

Since G was a couple weeks old we put the actual tub part in the garage and just taken the inclined thing and the froggy sponge and laid them in the real bathtub and it's worked out great. 

• He grew out of the tub so now I just lay him on a folded towel and bathe him that way, or he just takes a shower with me.

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"