Breastfeeding

Uneven production?

This is kind of a follow-up to a post I made yesterday. I'd been having really bad soreness in one breast, but thankfully that is gone.

HOWEVER, the breast that was sore is still producing significantly less milk than the other side. I find this odd because when I was actually BFing (not pumping), it was LO's favorite side. I EP now, except for once last night when I had LO nurse from the sore side in hopes it would help with the pain.

Example: Today, I consistently pumped 2oz from one side, and barely 1oz from the other. Is this normal? I'd like it to be even - I end up pumping longer so I can get enough for one feeding, but one side is doing all of the work. I massage before hand and during, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Should I do extra pumps just on the "lazy" side, or would that cause problems? I really don't want that awful breast pain to come back. I decided it must have been a plugged duct, so I expected that side to produce more once the pain went away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Uneven production?

• Totally normal. I usually always had a "strong" side, and it would alternate over the course of the first year.
  • Very normal; for the first few months, my right side always produced double what my left side did.  Over time while EBFing, they completely evened out and I now produce the same amount on both sides.  Even if they continue to produce differently, it's not something you have to worry about.  It's also possible that your LO liked that side better because if your other one was producing significantly more, you may have had a more forceful letdown which was more difficult for her to handle.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Loading the player...
  • Bummer...I like things to be even. It's the OCD part of me coming out Stick out tongue

Thanks!

• imageAimeeL85:
    Very normal; for the first few months, my right side always produced double what my left side did.  Over time while EBFing, they completely evened out and I now produce the same amount on both sides.  Even if they continue to produce differently, it's not something you have to worry about.  It's also possible that your LO liked that side better because if your other one was producing significantly more, you may have had a more forceful letdown which was more difficult for her to handle.

After thinking about this, you just helped me more than the 10 or so people who tried to help me BF at the hospital. LO would choke and reject the right, and then could feed forever on the left, but still be hungry. Seriously - we had an extended hospital stay due to LO's pneumonia, and I had a bunch of nurses and 2 lactation consultants try to resolve our issues. I even told them about the uneven production, but no one ever came to the conclusion you did.

Of course, that doesn't make LO BF any better, but it explains a lot.  Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"