Hawaii Babies
Options

Mastitis :(

This mama's got it in both boobies :(

I'm nursing, nursing, nursing and then pumping when he doesn't empty me. I'm taking motrin every 6 hours, and started my antibiotics today... but it still hurts! Anything else I can do to make it hurt less until my meds kick in? They are also red and feel really hot. Would a cool compress be bad? I was drinking from a water bottle while nursing and it grazed the top of my booby and felt SO nice... but I don't want to do that if it'll prevent all the milk from coming out. Aiya!

cai(o)&cullen+ahk
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Mastitis :(

• Options

Sorry to hear that :(

Maybe alternate hot/cold compress to help with the pain.   

• Options

oh bummer.  I hope everything clears up soon.  Hopefully, Jamie will chime in. I think she had some similar issues.  In the meantime, I found this on kellymom.  Not sure if you've seen this already.

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagevanilla15:

In the meantime, I found this on kellymom.  Not sure if you've seen this already.

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

Thanks - very helpful! 

cai(o)&cullen+ahk
  • Options

boo, mastitis sucks.  Sad i'm sorry you have it in both boobs too!  so painful.  the antibiotics should kick in quickly, and keep taking the ibuprofen or tylenol too.

also, as a word of warning - my supply on that side totally tanked after mastitis, and the same thing happened to one of my friends too.  it will come back eventually, but you might have to work extra hard at increasing your supply for a while if it happens to you too.  I hope not!!

hope you feel better soon.

• Options

I had it and it was not fun. I'm sorry you have it in both :(

Yes, my supply on that side TOTALLY tanked too!! I had read to expect it but I didn't expect to go from 8 ounces to like literally less than 1 ounce. It was dramatic but eventually it went back to normal. 

I hope you are feeling better!! 

• Options
    imageparrotgirl:

Yes, my supply on that side TOTALLY tanked too!! I had read to expect it but I didn't expect to go from 8 ounces to like literally less than 1 ounce. It was dramatic but eventually it went back to normal. 

Wow, you guys weren't kidding! I've been pumping or feeding every 2-3 hours and my right side, which hurt a lot more, and I presume had a bigger infection (it's still red while the other is much less so), has barely any output! Even with massage. So much work for so little milk. Plus A freaks out on that side because the flow is so slow. Boo.  

cai(o)&cullen+ahk
  • Options

sorry I am late to respond but yes, I had two bouts of mastitis and it was not fun. I felt like I had the flu! luckily the 2nd time I knew the symptoms and got on antibiotics ASAP which helped.  i just nursed a lot and took hot showers or used warm compresses before nursing.

I don't think my supply was noticeably affected b/c we have oversupply issues but I'm sorry to hear that you are having supply issues now. just keep at it and don't give up and it'll come back! just nurse, nurse, nurse!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"