Single Parents
Options

Medical expenses as c/s?

I was curious what the protocol is if your ex is responsible for helping with medical expenses. If assisting with DC's medical expenses is ordered as part of your c/s, how do you make sure you receive it? ExH was ordered to pay 50% of medical expenses. He's in prison which makes this impossible right now. I would think that he'll still have to pay it when it gets out, just like the c/s.

Do I just document everything? Report it to c/s? I'm new to all this child support stuff.

TIA

Re: Medical expenses as c/s?

• Options

Here in MN you have two years from when the bill was paid to submit for reimbursement. If I submit to CS they can only take 20% of the amount. I can mail him a certified letter of the affidavit form along with a copy of the bills and request reimbursement from him - he has 30 days from when he received the letter to pay/make a payment arrangement. If he doesn't he can be subject to contempt of court. 

He is required to pay 66% of all uncovered medical expenses - he refuses. I have to pay them and they are affecting my credit because I can't pay them.  So there really isn't much I can do to get him to pay.

He'll still have to help pay for them, though he'll continue to refuse to do so.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • Options

Our agreement says that I carry insurance and pay the first $250 out of pocket medical expenses each year.  After that, XH is responsible for 40% of unreimbursed medical expenses.

The decree says that I communicate any incurred expense within 30 days to him and then he has 30 days from that point to pay them.  As with pp, he doesn't pay.  I simply print off the email I sent along with the attachment (I have an excel doc that shows the calculation, and then a print screen from the insurance website and prescription website showing all DS's doctor visits, costs, copays, etc. so he can see where the numbers came from).  I keep them in my documentation log to demonstrate that he does know about the expenses and was told timely.

imageimage. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

With mine I have to pay the first $250 and then after that my son's father is responsible for 60% and I'm responsible for 40%.

I have to provide documentation of expenses to him no later than March 31st of the following year. He then has to pay me within 30 days.

My lawyer said to keep receipts for over the counter medicine and anything else that he needs. I also have a record from my health insurance company of all of the co-pays that I pay and rx's that my son has had filled. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I pay the first $250 and 51% of medical. By court order, ex-h is supposed to pay the 49% within 30 days of medical treatment. If he doesn't, he can be held in contempt. But - I have to re-retain my attorney for $850 to take him to court to get the money for medical bills, which he doesn't have. So...I just pay everything. 

imageimage

TheseFourButton-1.png

• Options
    I wish our divorce decree was more specific. It just says 50%. I guess I need to check with CSEA and see what they say. Thanks for the responses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"