School-Aged Children

504 and IEP

If your child has one, what is your process for updating it? What time of year do you update it? Who has input on the process?

My daughter has accommodations under the 504 plan for ADD, dyslexia and dysgraphia. Last year, third grade, was the first year that we did this. Then, she had minor accommodations, such as sitting in the front of the class so she wouldn't be distracted. The 504 was written to include things like "not deducting points on in-class written assignments for spelling errors".

I realize, as kids get older, they are required to write at a faster pace and take notes in class. I have read that some people with dyslexia and dysgraphia use a laptop and spellcheck. I'm not sure when this is incorporated into a classroom. 4th grade seems to early. They worked on cursive last year and will continue this year. I'd like her to do her best with her own writing rather than typing.

Reading comprehension can be confusing if she reads a few words as words with completely different meanings. She might read "The man instigated the crime" rather than "The man investigated the crime". You can see how that would change the meaning of the story.

She has been in 4th grade for 2 weeks. I have talked to her teacher. I asked if we could meet once he has an idea of how she is keeping up with expectations. So far, she is following along with the rest of class.

I don't know how many weeks are needed for her teacher to see if we need to add to her 504 accommodations.

If you have been through this, please share how you updated your plan.

Newlyweds since 2007

Re: 504 and IEP

• I am totally lurking but...

I am a high school teacher and I know that IEP/504 plans are reviewed AT LEAST once a year. If you want to have a special review I think you can request one.

I would personally, at this point, just keep in close contact (e-mail, call, notes, etc.) with the teacher (daily or weekly) and make sure she is keeping up with expectations. If you have any ideas you think may be helpful in the classroom share them with the teacher, along with anything that you don't think is helping. Even if it has only been 2 weeks, the teacher probably can tell if she is struggling to keep up or if things are going easy for her.

HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • IEPs are generally reconveined once a year, however, you can call a meeting at any time.  It is generally on the "anniversay" of the last time it was updated, but again, that date it not set in stone.

Her accomodations don't necessarily have to be assistive technology (lap top, iPad, etc) to help with note taking/spelling (and SpellCheck isn't fool proof-she still has to know which form of the word is correct).  Her teacher can easily make other adaptations for that; give your daughter a "bare bones" copy of the notes where she is required to fill in the missing key points, she can have extended time, she can have a copy of the teacher's notes.  However, in 3rd grade there shouldn't be a ton of note taking via lecture anyway. 

Do her accomodations include having tests read to her?  Extended time for tests/assignments?  Taking tests in another room?

In addition to keeping in contact with her classroom teacher, get in contact with her case manager also. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am not a parent of a child with special needs but I have been a special education teacher for 15 years,

A 504 or IEP is visited every year- but as a parent you are well within your rights to ask for a meeting at any time.    Keep in close contact with the teacher and if she feels that more modifications need to be added you or she can call a meeting.

I did want to address this quote from above:

Your daughter should have an IEP under the IDEA with the classification of Specific Learning Disability and OHI.  

This is not necessarily true.  Having dyslexia or ADD does not automatically put you in the category of SLD or OHI.  In fact, in my state we don't even use a diagnosis of dyslexia or dysgraphia in our decision.   As for OHI- the majority of my OHI students ARE ADD/ADHD but having ADD does not give you the classification of OHI- there is other criteria we look at.  So this may depend on your state guidelines and your child's needs. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"