May 2011 Moms

Should I be concerned?

Hey ladies,

My LO turns 4 months on Monday, so I'm kind of observing her for the "milestones" I feel like she should reach by then.

• She hasn't rolled over yet (either way). Not too concerned about this one. She will grab her feet when on her back and roll to her side, but she just kind of stops there. 
  • She is not a fan of tummy time. It's like she doesn't know what to do with her arms. She puts them behind her so I keep putting them in front of her and try to get her to support her chest. She can lift her head, but she doesn't support her chest with her arms. Should she be doing that? I have used a pillow similar to the boppy to help support her but then when I take it away, it's back to square 1. 
  • Head control - she has pretty good head control, but I'm still concerned about putting her in the bumbo. She seems like she still wobbles a bit. Are your 4 month olds sitting in the bumbo? This also goes for jumperoos. I would lover to put her in it, but just a little scared. 
We go for her checkup next week so I'm definitely going to talk to her doc about these concerns, but wanted to check with you guys. I know I shouldn't compare babies, but you know it's hard! :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I be concerned?

• Should you worry? Nah. All babies develop so differently.

Re: TT

Most babies don't tolerate tummy time very well, but it's SO important. My advice is to keep at it. Give her as much floor time as possible.  You can keep moving her arms, but I would really let her try and figure it out. It's going to involve fussing, but start with 5 minutes and gradually increase. And do that several times a day.

• My LO doesnt really roll over yet either. She is still not too fond of tummy time but I just keep doing it. She started to put her hands apart though so she cant keep her head as high. I put her hands together because I knew she did it before. As for the bumbo: I put her in it for a little bit but her head control isnt as good yet so after ten minutes at the max I take her out again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLisa Frank:

Should you worry? Nah. All babies develop so differently.

Re: TT

Most babies don't tolerate tummy time very well, but it's SO important. My advice is to keep at it. Give her as much floor time as possible.  You can keep moving her arms, but I would really let her try and figure it out. It's going to involve fussing, but start with 5 minutes and gradually increase. And do that several times a day.

Thanks! Do you think it's a good idea to use the tummy time pillow or just use the floor alone? She sometimes will push up on her knees/legs so that her butt is in the air and couple of times she almost seem pissed off enough to flip over, but it hasn't happened yet. I feel like her leg strength is way ahead of her arm strength.

Also I want to apologize for my original post. I formatted it with bullets but for some reason it didn't post that way, so it's hard on the eyes! 

• My pediatrician said to start putting LO in the Bumbo between 2 - 3 months, as much time as she would tolerate.  Which in the beginning was like 30 seconds!  She will now sit in it for 30+ minutes.

For tummy time, I'd put her on the floor and try to see if she will move her own arms.  My LO used to hate tummy time, but I just left her alone and made her do it and she learned to like it and arrange her arms herself.  She still hates it. :)  The pedi said now that she's rolling over not to worry that much about tummy time.

• Mine hated tummy time too and I was pretty guilty of caving and just picking her up after a few seconds of crying.

Then suddenly three days ago, she rolled over, propped herself up on her arms and holds her head up like a champ. And since then, she's just laying on her tummy all the time holding her head of with great control. We were already using a bumbo seat for a couple weeks for about 10-15 minutes at a time. I would shove a rolled up receiving blanket under her arms and above the crotch part and it would help her hold herself up.

I wouldn't worry. She'll let you know when she's ready!

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"