Babies on the Brain
Options

Moms of Toddlers

When do you give your LO milk?

I posted the other night about DS having issues with the sippy cup transition. For the past two days, I'd been giving him milk at the same time I used to give him a formula supplement (i.e. 3 times a day; every time I nurse him that isn't followed by a solids meal). I had some success getting him to drink the milk from a regular cup, but this morning he was refusing it from a sippy, a straw sippy, and a regular cup. I ended up giving it to him with lunch instead of water, and he drank the whole thing. Is this OK?

Obviously, I have no clue whether this will work again, but is it fine to just give LO milk with meals and only nurse in-between? It didn't seem to dampen his appetite because he ate my entire grilled chicken sandwich. I just worry about him getting too hungry between meals, but I guess since he's nursing he'll probably be OK? Right?

God, I get confused and worried about the stupidest things!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Cloth-diapering, breastfeeding, baby-wearing SAHM/grad studentBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Chart
Blog

Re: Moms of Toddlers

• Options
    They got milk with their meals at that age, and water with snacks in between meals if they got hungry. 
  • Options

I think you're fine.

I basically switch off between giving C milk and water, unless we've been outside (then more water) or I'm trying to get her to last till dinner is ready (more milk). Milk hasn't ever dampened her appetite.  

DD1 (b. 8/16/2010)
    DD2 (b. 9/04/2013)
    BFP 2/25/12, m/c @ 6w 3d || BFP 8/1/12, m.m/c @ 9w5d
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageleslie13510:
    They got milk with their meals at that age, and water with snacks in between meals if they got hungry. 

This is how we do it. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I also give milk at meal times only.  Water is offered through out the day.  I think that it works out great this way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We do milk with meals and water with snacks as well.  He weaned at 14 months, but was really only nursing before bed  at that point.
    DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012
  • Options
    I give milk with breakfast and dinner and she gets juice with lunch or snack. Or sometimes water at snack.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    PCOS, Ectopic & M/C of twins October 2010, Currently TTC #2
  • Options

OK, y'all are awesome! Thanks for the reassurance.

Now I just need to figure out what to do for the days I'm in class since I won't be there to nurse him, but it's probably too long b/w lunch and dinner for him to go without some milk. I guess the sitter can keep working with him with the sippy for now!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Cloth-diapering, breastfeeding, baby-wearing SAHM/grad studentBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Chart
    Blog
  • Options
    At that age, milk with meals and water with snack.  These days, we basically let him choose milk, juice or water.  So far, he's been good at choosing milk about 2/3rds of the time.  I do pay attention and will make the decision for him if I don't feel he's had enough milk that day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Boob in the moring, after work, and bedtime.

She was getting a sippy of milk before nap, but FIL decided she neeeded the bottle back because she kept crying to nurse while I was gone.

She doesn't exactly eat meals, she just kind of picks all day. She eats almost nothing.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    K gets milk in the morning after breakfast and before bed at night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"