School-Aged Children

Picture day

What do you think of school pictures?

Do you get your child's haircut before picture day?

Do you let him/her wear whatever he/she wants or do you help decide?

Does your school put the photo in a yearbook? If yes, does that effect your decision?

Any other comments?

Newlyweds since 2007

Re: Picture day

• DD will be able to choose what she wants to wear after i make a few choices first. I like picture day. I mean, i take plenty of pictures of her through out the year but it's nice to be able to compare pictures year to year.

Her school does put the pictures in the yearbook. She's only in 1st grade though so i havent had a lot of experience with 'bad pictures'. Her kindergarten picture was cute and she hasnt taken her 1st grade picture yet. We'll see!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What do you think of school pictures? I think the quality isn't great. I buy them anyway, because I think it's fun for a child to get their picture envelope when the teacher hands them out.

Do you get your child's haircut before picture day? Yes.

Do you let him/her wear whatever he/she wants or do you help decide? I help decide. My 9 year old wanted to wear a crazy shirt. (Disclaimer: I did not buy it... it came from her dad's house.) It is a see-through mesh with splotchy not-quite-tie-dye hot pink, bright blue and black... and sparkly stones on one shoulder. I'd rather she wear a solid color.

Does your school put the photo in a yearbook? If yes, does that effect your decision? Yes. Yes.

Any other comments? I never know what to do with her hair. She has fine straight hair that just touches the tips of her shoulders. This year, she is growing out her bangs. She wants me to french braid the bangs. I'm not sure how to tuck in that little section so that it will stay from 8 am until 11:45 when her class will have their photo time. Any ideas for a simple hairstyle for a girl who is growing out bangs?

Newlyweds since 2007
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate school pictures.  The background is cheesy and the lighting is usually off making them look "cheap" and not professional.  I buy them anyways, smallest package, just to have.  

Our pictures are always within the first 2-3wks of school starting.  Today was our picture day (funny that I see this post today) and we started school on 8/29.  We get the kids hair trimmed/cut right before school starts.  By the time pics roll around their hair looks groomed but not "freshly cut" in case of any bad haircuts it has had a few weeks to grow out some.  I think that is why they do pics so soon.  Most kids get a "school" haircut a week or so before school starts.  

My kids are 5&6.  Ds does not care what he wears for any occasion.  I pick his out.  DDs are a bit more picky but I pick it out for things like pictures, special occasions etc.  They wore what I picked today with no fuss.  It was a dress they picked out while school shopping anyways so it worked out.

Yes, they have a small paper yearbook and they use the fall picture.  I made sure to fix the girls hair and was "that" mom that checked their picture time and made sure I would be able to brush the girls hair before hand.  Luckily their pics were right after the morning bell.  I had time to drop them off and go park and was checking in the office as they walked down to the library to do their pics.  Since the girls hair was fine when I dropped them off i did not follow them to the library.  lol.  So I wasnt really "that" mom.  But I did ask if I could go so maybe that does make me "that" mom.  I just dont want their 1st year book picture experience to be one with their hair standing up, shirt/dress stained etc. This was a major reason as to why I picked their outfit, fixed their hair nicely.  My 1st grade yearbook pic was HORRID.  It was after lunch AND gym.  I was a messy eater so my WHITE shirt has stains on it and my hair is a huge poofy tangly mess. I seriously looked like a homeless kid.  My mom was FURIOUS.  That was the last time pictures were ever done after gym or lunch.  And they would hand out the little black combs and let us brush our hair.  :)  

My girls are growing out their bangs as well.  I pulled the front section with bangs up to the side and put a bow in it.  They have sort of thin semi curly hair that ends up looking more  stringy and messy than anything.  It is right at their shoulders maybe a tad longer.  So I used my flat iron to make it a little more polished looking.  Yes, I straightened my 5yr old daughters hair.  lol.   

Not sure about the french braid.  I cant do a french braid to save my soul.  :(  I so badly want to since I have 2 little girls that would look super cute with french braided piggies but my fingers are too uncoordinated.

Have you tried doing it while her hair is wet and seeing if that stays?  Little bit of gel before and hair spray when finished?  I do that when doing any sort of twist, regular braid, etc when pulling my girls hair up.  Seems to help keep the strays down.  

Good Luck on picture day!  How old is your dd?  

1st Day of Kindergarten & 1st Grade 08.29.11

Landon * Kaydance * Kennedy
    5/13/05 ******5/24/06

* Baby is due July 24 2012 * Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thanks, LD. I don't know if I'm much better than you are at french braiding. My daughter is 9. At that age, she thinks it's great. If she were a teen, she'd notice it isn't perfect. I'll try spritzing her hair to make it stay. Have you looked on youtube for french braiding tutorials? They have some cute styles. I'll check and post the link. I know it's too late for picture day, but you might want to try for another time. It's a nice way to keep long bangs out of the way.

... and, I might be that mom. I will be at her school to volunteer at 8:15 am. If I happen to still be there at lunch time... I might, maybe, possibly, have to make sure she looks like herself.

Newlyweds since 2007
  • Here is a small braid that pulls the bangs back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvuMm6AfClM&feature=feedf

Newlyweds since 2007
  • Here is another one that gives a very detailed explanation. If you aren't that patient, start the video around 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLBn0yGLFDA

Newlyweds since 2007
  • imageSurfinbride:

What do you think of school pictures? I think they're a necessary evil.  I buy the cheapest package I can, which isn't cheap at all! 

Do you get your child's haircut before picture day? If needed.  Ours are usually right after school begins, so their hair isn't too long yet.

Do you let him/her wear whatever he/she wants or do you help decide? Both of my kids like to wear nice things, so I'm lucky there. 

Does your school put the photo in a yearbook? If yes, does that effect your decision? Yes and yes.

Any other comments?

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • imageSurfinbride:

What do you think of school pictures?

Meh.  They're pretty expensive for what you get.  We have a friend who is a professional photographer.  I'd rather pay him to do a shoot with my kids.  At least that way I get 200 proofs to look at instead of one goofy picture.  My DD is a cutie, but her school pics always look doofy.

Do you get your child's haircut before picture day?

No. 

Do you let him/her wear whatever he/she wants or do you help decide?

They decide. 

Does your school put the photo in a yearbook? If yes, does that effect your decision?

The picture goes in the year book, and I'm fine with this even if the kid looks goofy. 

Any other comments?

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"