Preemies

negative fFn twst but dialated 5cm...

Hi ladies! First, so sorry for formatting, i am on my phone! I am visiting from the PAIF board and thought you might help. I am currently in the hospital since Monday... had a neg ffn but increased in dialation up to 5cm while in triage and they had me on a mag drip to stop labor since. Well this morning my ob said I've made no cervical change.. my contracttions aren't as frequent or prominent...so we stopped the mag. If all goes well I am going home in 24 hours. He said I should be fine because of my negative ffn.... I know (or been told or read) that a negative fFn test means there is a 95% chance you will not deliver in 2 weeks.... but with everything else I am on the wrong side of percentages... (m/c two times after seeing hb.. started off triplets. After given 3% odds.. among others .) Anyway, of course I wonder if I have 2 weeks or not... part of me thinks its bs... because why was I contacting and they had t o stop me and go thru all this if I wasn't going in labor? Doesn't it seem crazy to send me home 5cm dialated? Although there has been speculation... he says it is subjective and the resident that said that might have been off. He said 3cm today.. OMG I am rambling!!!! Sorry!!! Have you had a negative ffn Ans still delivered? Tell me your story.
TTC#2: septum removed, 2 losses, Stage 2 Endo, thin lining, slight MFI
iui #5 2/7 + 2/8 = BFP!! 11 dpiui
Beta #1 2/18 11dpiui= 46, Beta #2 13dpiui 150, Beta #3 16dpiui 584!!
u/s revealed triplets! Baby B 3rd loss 8w2d. Twins! EDD 10/31/11 * c/s scheduled 10/12/11 My NEW BLOG Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: negative fFn twst but dialated 5cm...

• My experience is completely different so I don't have any specific advice. I would just say that if you are discharged trust your insticts and don't hesitate to go back to L&D if you are concerned. My DD was born 3 hours after I arrived at my midwive's office because "something felt off" and I insisted on an appointment. You are the only one who knows your body-trust your intuition.

Good luck! I hope you make it another three weeks and don't have to join us on this board. If you have a preemie, we are here!

• I had a negative fFn when I was dilated to a 2 and held on for 3 more weeks but I was obviously not as dilated as you are.  I was hospitalized at 24 weeks at a 2 with contractions, was transferred to get me to a hospital with a level 3 NICU at 26 weeks (at a 4 with bulging membranes), went into labor that same day (stopped with mag) , went back into labor exactly a week later (to the hour!) and delivered.

I had a Dr in my practice that wanted to send me home the day before I was sent to the other hospital (the nurses staged a coup to get me there but thats a whole other story....).   I cried to my nurse and begged to stay, something just didn't feel right.  I couldn't put my finger on it but I KNEW I still needed to be there.  I got another Dr on my side who agreed that I should stay (based on my gut as well as changing cervix and contractions, they were irregular but there).

If your gut says stay, talk to the nurses.  They are honestly your biggest allies, they have seen it all and heard it all.  I am proof that they can sway opinion if you need them to (as long as they agree of course!)  Good luck  and I hope you stay pregnant for many more weeks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't be too concerned about the ffn. My friend recently had one at 32 weeks that was positive and she was dilated several centimeters but she held out till 38 weeks to have here baby.

Like others said if you get sent home trust your instincts. With my first I knew something wasn't right and called my dr. he thought it was no big deal and that I should just get more rest. Dh didn't buy it and took me in to L&D anyway. Good thing he did b/c I had severe pre-e and would have died had they not done an emergency c-section. Anyway that wasn't meant to scare you just to let you know that you know your body better than anyone else and even if you go in and they find out everything is okay it is better to be safe than sorry. Let them all think you "that" lady but who cares as long as you and your LO are okay.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • After a trip to L&D for multiple braxton hicks contractions about 3 minutes apart they ordered a fFn test for me. It was negative, I was 1cm dialted and 50% effacted. A week later (almost to date) my water broke and I had my son that evening. I think those things are about as right as the intelligender test! Both my doctor and nurse reasured me that the fFn test produces more false positives then negatives but I'm think even the negatives aren't reliable. Don't put too much stock into it, just try to relax and kick your feet up. That's what I should have done. I think I had false seccurity in the negative result and over did it a bit.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"