Military Families

Baby pay?

My husband and I have both heard different things about this.  When you have a baby in the military does your pay go up? I've had friends tell me anywhere from 50 extra bucks a paycheck up to 200 a month.  And I've had others say that it doesn't change.  Any one have any help on this?   I budget months ahead  like a crazy and just wanted to figure some things out about it. thank you for any info in advance!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby pay?

• No. The military does not pay you for having a baby.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • imageLemonLover33:
    No. The military does not pay you for having a baby.

That is not quite true.

If you are stationed overseas, you receive a COLA pay.  It does adjust per dependent living with you.  For us, the difference between 2 to 3 dependents is $37.50 a day to $39.33 a day.  That's just under $55 a month.

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/colaCalc.cfm

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Okay, Yah the people who have told me ,Yes, have said it depends on how many dependents are living with you, and that all makes sense, thanks for the link!
  • You can go online and find the current paycharts for your H's branch of service and they will break out BAH with and without dependents.  That is the only increase I am aware of.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Can you imagine if the military paid you extra per child? There would be kids popping up all over the place!

As for the COLA thing, that only applies to certain situations and should not be something that you count on. It really depends on where you are stationed. When I was in NY I didnt get it, but in Hawaii and CA I did.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• We aren't counting on getting any at all, but i still wanted to ask opinions since so many people have told me different things.   I didn't mean for people to think that i was asking thinking that we deserved more money because we were having a baby or only got pregnant to try to get more money, not the case at all.
  • We've had two kids and his pay stayed the same. He only gets paid extra for one dependant and that's me when we got married.

• I may be wrong but in the budgeting class I took they said that when you have your baby you can change your withholding which bumps your monthly pay up a little, for us its maybe 30 a paycheck i thought. Im not sure how true that is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • imagemamastich:
    I may be wrong but in the budgeting class I took they said that when you have your baby you can change your withholding which bumps your monthly pay up a little, for us its maybe 30 a paycheck i thought. Im not sure how true that is.

That has to do with the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck; it's not changing your base pay and special pay.  If you get a tax refund, you probably aren't witholding enough anyway.  People generally withhold more than necessary to avoid paying in at tax return time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • imagemamastich:
    I may be wrong but in the budgeting class I took they said that when you have your baby you can change your withholding which bumps your monthly pay up a little, for us its maybe 30 a paycheck i thought. Im not sure how true that is.

That has to do with the amount of taxes withheld from your paycheck; it's not changing your base pay and special pay.  If you get a tax refund, you probably aren't withholding enough anyway.  People generally withhold more than necessary to avoid paying in at tax return time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • This is something a lot of new families assume...his pay will only go up once you get married, after that his pay will not change based on if you have kids or how many you guys end up having.
    TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
    9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
    9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
    11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
    One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
    Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
    5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
    8/2012 Started seeing new RE
    9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
    9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
    10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
    2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
    3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???
  • It used to be that way (40 years or so ago), so a lot of old retired people think its still the case. They had to drop it because like it says above - babies would pop up everywhere.
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • There's no such thing as baby pay unfortunately.
    BabyFruit Ticker

PCOS--TTC since 11/2010:   
    5 cycles of Clomid: all BFN, 1 cycle of Follistim:CP
    1 year break thanks to deployment.
    1 cycle Follistim: BFN, Lap to remove peritubal cyst May 2013
    2 cycles Follistim + trigger: BFN, Gonal F +IUI April 2014: BFP!!!!!! 

Boy/Girl Twins due Jan 5, 2015!!! 

• the only thing that changed for us was BAH.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"