Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

I feel guilty about not wanting to breastfeed anymore...

I have been only breast feeding my son since he was born just over a month ago. Then this last weekend, we had to go to a wedding in a very hot town where the only place I could feed him was out in my car. Needless to say, he wasn't very happy being so hot and trying to feed and it was difficult for me having to take my dress completely off in my car to feed him! (thank goodness for tinted windows!) So my fiance and I decided that for emergencies like this one, we'd use formula while we were out visiting people. The bottle has been EXTREMELY helpful and everyone keeps telling me I should just go ahead and switch over to formula. But for some reason I feel REALLY guilty about giving up and doing just formula. I enjoy breastfeeding but I produce a lot of milk and have to wear a bra with disposable pads 24/7. (I've gone through 30 pads in 24 hours.) Haven't even tried figuring out how I'm going to be "with" my fiance when I get my medical clearence in 2 weeks, without having to wear a bra or spraying him in the face. Any thoughts or comments? I hate feeling so guilty.

Re: I feel guilty about not wanting to breastfeed anymore...

• Options

First of all, don't feel guilty..breast feeding is hard work.    I breastfed in the hospital and LO wasn't accepting of it every well. 

Instead of trying and trying, for my own sake I tried EP.   While it was more work washing bottles, I was happier because I could sort of schedule when I pumped and if I had to go somewhere I didn't have to worry about BFing or pumping somewhere unless I would be gone more than 4 hours (how often I pumped).  Possibly something you could try..?

When LO was 5 weeks old, my milk supply drastically dropped and we began totally FF within a week.  

Just do what is best for you and your LO as long as he has a full tummy that's all that matters.

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

First off, don't let other people tell you what you should and shouldn't do when it comes to feeding your baby, your baby, your decision :-) There are a lot of moms who believe that breast feeding is the best, and while it may be, some of our lifestyles just clash too much with EBF. Have you thought about pumping instead so that your LO still gets the benefits of breast milk and you get the ease of bottle feeding? I wasn't even able to BF more than 2 days and I went to pumping for 3 weeks. He's been FF ever since then b/c my supply dropped due to stress of keeping up with him, no fun :-(

If anything, you can try to give him a bottle of formula once a day to wrap your mind around the idea and slowly get used to it. You'll feel guilty for a few days and maybe a couple of weeks, but what matters is that your LO is fed and happy, and that you aren't stressed. It'll get better! GL :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't feel bad. BFing isn't for everyone and no one will judge you if you stop. I find more people judge me cause I BF, if anything. Good luck with whatever decision you make :) You LO will grow up healthy and happy whether he was BF or FF.
  • Options
    I've thought about pumping and I did a little bit at the beginning because I had so much. But the lactation lady told me that if I pump, then my body will produce even more milk. I have way too much as it is.
  • Options

imageAprilmegan3:
    I've thought about pumping and I did a little bit at the beginning because I had so much. But the lactation lady told me that if I pump, then my body will produce even more milk. I have way too much as it is.

I'm not positive, but I believe if you only pump this shouldn't be a problem. It might help you not feel guilty but also feed a bottle.

Fwiw, whenever we take out DD I pump into a bottle and bring that to the outing. Nip is still incredibly awkward for me.

• Options
    imageAprilmegan3:
  • Options

I completely feel your pain.  We had to supplement because I had supply issues but after about 6 days, I had enough to EBF and did that for a month.  I tried nursing out in public twice, both times I ended up in tears and so beyond stressed out and anxious that it literally ruined te rest of my day.  But I kept going because I felt so insanely guilty for giving up on my son.  At 5 weeks and 1 day, we had a horrible night where I was up to feed every 90 minutes and he'd feed for at least 30 minutes (which equals zero sleep for momma!).  That morning, I was actually mad at my poor little boy and that was it for me.  I stopped EBFing and switched to like half pumping and half nursing.  My supply started to fall off and now at almost 9 weeks, I pump once a day and he gets formula the rest of the day but I couldn't be happier! I'm not even kidding you, I seriously think that I was at the point of PPD and switching to bottles has prevented it because I don't feel trapped, I can go out whenever, my boobs stopped leaking so I feel clean now and I get to ENJOY feedings. 

Do what works for you and your family.

• Options
    Few things, don't let anyone (with the exception of dh and your pedi) give you any guidance about what to feed dc. Don't feel guilty about whatever choice you make, it is your decision to make and they are both acceptable choices, as to which is the BEST choice for your family, you will have to sort that out. Bf will not always be this difficult. I promise that your supply will sort itself out and you will not be wearing breast pads forever. A month from now it will be so much easier. I haven't leaked in a vy long time and ds now nurses for about five minutes a session, he is so good at it I can It's totally handsfree in a wrap or sling and no one can even tell he is eating- it will get easier so if you choose to bf know that you just need to get past this bit. Your lo is still very young and this is a time of adjustment for you guys. In some cultures you would still be lying in a bed with your family members caring for your home and brining you food. All will be well, just be happy with whatever you choose.
  • Options

I just want to echo the pp and say that the way it is now is only a temporary phase.  You will stop leaking in a month or too, and your milk supply will also regulate. 

No question breastfeeding is a big commitment, however it does have many advantages.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageAprilmegan3:

Well that is kind of true. If you pump to relieve engorgement and toss it out, it will encourage your body to make more. But if you pump 4 ounces, then use it to feed your baby, you're not producing any more than you would be if you were just feeding your baby directly - so no, that wouldn't make any difference as far as your production. 

I would suggest block feeding for your overproduction issue. I had the same problem (plus green poo from too much foremilk) until I started feeding only on one side for 2-3 feedings and then switching. The engorgement was pretty bad for about a day, but then my supply decreased to a more manageable level and the magical yellow poo returned. 

About the convenience issue -  honestly, I find it easier to be carrying a premade, preheated food supply with me all of the time than to worry about formula. Either option requires planning.

I've been pumping occasionally for the past 3 weeks and it does help to make me feel not so completely tied to the baby. It also gives DS and DH some nice boy time when I leave them with a bottle and go run errands on Saturday morning.

As far as intimacy, well I just got cleared for, um, activities yesterday and am wondering the same thing. I may be using the shower for a first attempt. Then again, after two months of celibacy, DH would probably make it with me in a sports bra, Nixon mask, and snow boots. It might be a little bit of a buzz kill, but I don't think he's gonna care.

All that said, do what fits for you. Breastfeeding vs. Formula feeding isn't like putting your kid in a car seat vs. tying them to the roof. They're both great options that provide what your child needs to grow and be healthy. 

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"