Detroit Babies
Options

Providence Park Hosp (**Shiela**)

I'm concerned about having an epidural. my birthing plan is to go as long as possible although i KNOW i'll cave.. because i'm bad with pain.

If you delivered here, did you get an epidural and how did it go?

i've been reading that the majority of people have no issues and a lot depends on who gives it/the hospital you go to.

Sheila- i know you have said before that you delivered there and i *believe* we go to the same obgyn (metro partners in parenting). i see Dr. Hakim. Did you get one, what was your experience?   and congrats on the new baby!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Providence Park Hosp (**Shiela**)

• Options

No congrats are necessary.  I had a miscarriage on Tuesday.

Yes, I go to Metro Partner's In Women's Health, but I see Dr. Lacoste.  Dr. Hakim was my 2nd favorite doc.  He is amazing.  I've seen a lot of Dr. Marback lately, I just wish it was under better circumstances.

I got an epidural.  It lasted a total of 1 hr and then it failed.  I labored for about 8hrs without it, 10 hrs total of labor.  Delivery was perfect, I can't say enough great things about the hospital.  I loved the nurses, the LC was amazing.  Dr. Lacoste delivered me.  FWIW, my good friend just delivered there and her epi worked extremely well.  Looking back on the experience it was a blessing it failed.  I knew exactly when to push and how to push.  I did end up with an episiodomy, however, I only pushed for 26min.  I know quite a few women who's epi's were so good that they could never feel a contraction and pushed for well over 2 hrs b/c they couldn't push effectively.  I would shoot myself.  Seriously.  Overall, the hospital is great and I look forward to delivering there in the future, whenever that may be.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • Options

i'm terribly sorry :( i didn't see a post related to a m/c. i'm very sorry. i couldn't imagine the pain.

thanks for all the helpful info. i'm sure i will eventually see everyone at Metro's. i originally went in thinking i'd switch dr's since i would have rather not had a male dr. but Dr. Hakim was just so amazing i couldn't pass him up! I'm glad to hear of the success stories of your friends. i worry about epidurals and have heard that smaller hospitals tend to not be as good at them as others.... but my sister had her first at Beaumont RO and had a bad experience. she has since had horrible back pain. So this is why i'm asking. pre- baby i had lower back pain related to two back injuries and have chronic migraines. and i know that those two things could be enhanced and/or if you never had them before could have them after an epidural. So was just seeing how you experience went.

Thanks again and i'm so very sorry. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

No problem, I didn't make a post about it.  I just noted it in my siggy.  It's hard, I won't lie, but we are focused on getting past this difficult time and moving forward.  The crappy part is we have to wait until probably November/December to start TTC again (2 normal cycles after I stop bleeding right now).

Providence Novi may be smaller, but it's actually an excellent hospital.  The problem is it's new, not that it's smaller.  It's only been open for about 6 years I think, so there are less reviews of the hospital itself.  FWIW, I never experienced any migraines from the epi and I am prone to them.  Obviously, everyone is different, but I would discuss with Dr. Hakim and the anestesiologist.  I don't have any back pain now from the epi.  An epi doesn't go into the spinal column itself (that's a spinal).  I would suggest taking the birthing class at Novi.  They go over everything, including epi's.  You have to call Providence Southfield and tell them you want a class at Novi, just FYI.  It's a little confusing.  If you have any other specific questions just let me know.  Honestly, the epi was probably the last thing I was worried about :)

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
  • Options
    thanks for the feedback. i really appreciate it. i will definitely keep you in mind when i have future hospital related questions! thanks!
  • Options
    I also delivered at Providence Park Novi and got an epidural.  I have nothing but good things to say about the hospital.  Everything and everyone was great.  I think my epi was probably the "right mix" or whatever you want to call it.  It definitely helped me out a ton but I was fully aware of when I was having a contraction and was still able to push effectively.  I think I pushed for a little less than an hour.  The pressure was something else and left a lot to be desired, but looking back, I would rather have that problem than pain... although this was painful if that makes sense at all?  Haha anyways, I think you will enjoy Providence Park.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for the input. that info definitely is very much appreciated. what you're saying makes a lot of sense and something i'd like. seems like you're right and did have the right mixture. i want to be alert enough to recognized what i'm suppose to be doing. 
  • Options
    I just wanted to chime in here since I see Dr. Hakim and will be delivering at providence park. I love him. I met him for the first time when I miscarried in February and he was the sweetest. I couldn't have asked for a better doc. Anyways, thanks for the post, as it is very applicable to me :-) And Sheila, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Having just gone through that a few months ago, I remember how hard it is. Hang in there.
  • Options

imageCollieflower:
    I just wanted to chime in here since I see Dr. Hakim and will be delivering at providence park. I love him. I met him for the first time when I miscarried in February and he was the sweetest. I couldn't have asked for a better doc. Anyways, thanks for the post, as it is very applicable to me :-) And Sheila, I'm so very sorry for your loss. Having just gone through that a few months ago, I remember how hard it is. Hang in there.

Thanks so much.  I saw Dr. Marback for my m/c.  I like her as a doc, but with a m/c she lacks compassion.  I couldn't get in with Dr. Lacoste (my doc) and I wish I could have seen Dr. Hakim.  He is so great, definitely my fav next to Dr. Lacoste!

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
  • Options

imageCollieflower:

Glad to hear another Metro Parent here :) Such a great dr's office!

When we first set up an appointment there, i only made an appointment with Dr. Hakim because he was the first available and i had just found out i was 12 weeks pregnant, so i needed to be seen ASAP. Both Fi and I said we'd switch because we didn't want a male Dr. (i've had them before, but always felt more comfortable with a female, and Fi is pretty conservative on those issues). However, from the minute Dr Hakim entered the room we just knew he would be our Dr. just loved him from the get go. 

I'm so very sorry to hear about your angel baby. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"