3rd Trimester

Using an antique cradle?

Hey Ladies,

We were given a beautiful antique swinging cradle to use and we are curious how safe it actually is....  We set it up this evening and it needs some minor repairs but is in good condition.  Is anyone else using something similar?  We are just looking for some feedback and opinions.  Thank you so much. 

BabyName Ticker

Re: Using an antique cradle?

• I wouldn't use it, but I also wouldn't use a used crib (unless I was the original owner, of course). Maybe I would decorate with it, but I would worry the whole time about LO being in it. There are some pretty strict safety guidelines when it comes to cribs nowadays and I highly doubt an antique cradle would pass.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Depends on the cradle, if it is sturdy, and basic and follows safety sandards I would consider it. Would love to see a pic!

• Loading the player...
  • imageSailorGray:
    I wouldn't use it, but I also wouldn't use a used crib (unless I was the original owner, of course). Maybe I would decorate with it, but I would worry the whole time about LO being in it. There are some pretty strict safety guidelines when it comes to cribs nowadays and I highly doubt an antique cradle would pass.

I'm the same way. I wouldn't be comfortable using it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •    Well I'd say go for it, as long as it's sturdy enough for you. Some antique things are actually really sturdy or strong. I mean, it sure beats some of the craftmanship now a days. We are using an old rocking bassinette that my great grandfather made for me before I was born. You could call it antique...It carries a lot of character. I am so excited to use it for my little boy or girl....So as long as you think it's safe, Go for it.

Blake in BW 6 months Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 1RememberingMiloJuly1st2012
  • imageMrsG.060708:

imageSailorGray:
    I wouldn't use it, but I also wouldn't use a used crib (unless I was the original owner, of course). Maybe I would decorate with it, but I would worry the whole time about LO being in it. There are some pretty strict safety guidelines when it comes to cribs nowadays and I highly doubt an antique cradle would pass.

I'm the same way. I wouldn't be comfortable using it.

this!  i wouldn't use it.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • We are using an antique bassinet.  It is sturdier than anything you could buy nowadays and the bars are closer together than the bars in our brand new crib, so it's perfectly safe.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • imageFrostycake2011:

Well I'd say go for it, as long as it's sturdy enough for you. Some antique things are actually really sturdy or strong. I mean, it sure beats some of the craftmanship now a days. We are using an old rocking bassinette that my great grandfather made for me before I was born. You could call it antique...It carries a lot of character. I am so excited to use it for my little boy or girl....So as long as you think it's safe, Go for it.

this is exactly what we're doing for our baby.

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If it's just a bassinet/cradle, I don't really see what specifically could be "unsafe" about it, unless there are bars/slats that LO's limbs could get stuck in.  I have a "co-sleeper" that LO will be sleeping in right next to my bed for the first couple of months, which essentially is just a pack 'n play that happens to attach to my bed - I fail to see how that this is any different than a cradle or bassinet.  As long as you have a decent mattress, do not over-pad it and keep breathing obstructions out of it, I honestly can't see how the antique bassinet is any less safe than any other co-sleeper/infant sleeper.  If you're really concerned, maybe talk to a pediatrician?

Then again, I'm the kind of person who has no problem using a "hand-me-down" drop side crib with the drop side disabled according to manufacturer's instructions.

• IMO, it's not only about how well it's put together, but also about the materials used.  Standards for things have really changed over the years.  Anyway, that's just my opinion, though. I know there are several things I would have loved to use, but the worrying would have gotten to me and I really do not consider myself an overprotective Mom. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • We're going to be using a swinging wooden cradle that was used by my great grandfather, grandmother, aunts and a cousin. So definitely antique, and based on all the adults who live to tell of it, we feel safe. (My husband is going to do minor repairs to keep it sturdy.) I think it's great. 
  • imagemaraclaire:
    We're going to be using a swinging wooden cradle that was used by my great grandfather, grandmother, aunts and a cousin. So definitely antique, and based on all the adults who live to tell of it, we feel safe. (My husband is going to do minor repairs to keep it sturdy.) I think it's great. 

I agree. If it's a hand-me-down cradle then I'm sure there have been plenty of babies who survived sleeping in it.

BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"