Health & Exercise
Options

Pregnancy Weight Gain & Self-Esteem Issues...

My best friend just found out she's pregnant :) I'm ecstatic, but very worried for her at the same time. She has always struggled with her body image and has fought bulimia most of her life. Although she is the healthiest now that she has ever been I'm afraid she will suffer from depression due to self-esteem issues during her pregnancy. I want to make sure she enjoys her pregnancy as much as possible and feels great about herself throughout it. I need suggestions...

* I'm looking for book or gift ideas to help her through the pregnancy and build her self-esteem. Please suggest anything that will help her embrace her pregnancy and understand the weight gain, etc. is only temporary. She has a great sense of humor so if there are any books that are humorous, but sensitive to her self-esteem issues, that would be fantastic! Thanks!

Re: Pregnancy Weight Gain & Self-Esteem Issues...

• Options
    Go with her to a fun class like belly dancing.  She can learn to embrace her growing belly, stay in shape and feel sexy all at the same time.  I would also have her start a vision board with pictures of inspirational women and quotes to motivate her when she's feeling down.  Good Luck!
  • Options

You could get her a shirt https://www.cafepress.com/hotmommatees/3852860

even with body image issues I would find this funny...but if shes SUPER sensitive she may just think you are calling her fat 

Get her some pregnancy exercise DVDs she might appreciate it or do some walking together!  I too am worried about being pregnant for weight issues I am healthy now, but when I met my husband I was 20 lbs thinner and ate usually 800 calories or less and ran 5 miles a day, needless to say not healthy, But i liked the way I looked.  I am so scared having a goal weight of 153 to hit the healthy pregnancy weight freaks me out.  I hope your friend doesn't struggle too much and reassure her she will get her body back and that she is beautiful

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

To me, the best thing you could do would be to make sure you're emotionally there for her. All the books in the world don't mean anything compared to my best girlfriends.  Ask her how things are going, and how she feels about her changing body. If you get together often, maybe suggest taking a walk instead of going out to eat. Me and my friends used to do walks along a lake, which got us fresh air, beautiful scenery and plenty of girl talk. We also took to mall walking a few winters ago, we found it to be refreshingly silly to walk with all the 75 yr olds in our small town :)  

I agree with PP's that it's important to reassure her that she is beautiful, and that she's looking great! I hope she stays healthy, and enjoys her pregnancy. 

Me: 29  DH: 33
    Married April 1st 2017 <3
    DS #1: May 2009 
    DS #2: Jan 2012 

• Options

Staying active can help you pump happy endorphines through your blood stream while maintaining good health for you and your baby.

A great form of exercise through all your trimesters, allowing a safe and healthy environment for you and your baby is swimming. I highly recommmend taking up the sport of swimming during your pregnancy.

https://youtu.be/wE2332sEUBc

• Options

In one of my pregnancy books, they recommended informing our OB about those sorts of issues.  If the number on the scale is an issue, sometimes an OB is willing to not weigh a patient (just judge based on belly size, appearance, and health of the baby) or weigh the patient without letting them know the weight.

I'm considering this if the weight gain bother me too much. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

One thought - don't make an issue of it.  Remember, she's now in the healthiest shape of her life.  The worst thing that can sometims be done is reminding them of the dark time in their life.  Eating disorders are what they are and a constant struggle even years after they've healed up from the worst of it.  She's found a way to manage things, the best thing to do is leave her be to do just that.

Treat her as you would any other PG friend in your life!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"