Military Families

Timeline for getting out of AD b/c of baby?

I am planning to get out of the Air Force when our baby comes in January. I haven't really told anyone at work yet, so I was wondering when is the right time to do so? I have no idea what paperwork is involved or anything like that. I plan on working right up until I either physically can't anymore or I have the baby, and then I am out.

Any advice would be great!

Re: Timeline for getting out of AD b/c of baby?

• You need to go ahead and talk to your leadership.  The paperwork can take a while to get approved and I think you only have up to 30 days after the baby is born to have everything completed.  Start talking to them about it now. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You need to tell your command immeadiatly so they can fill you in on all of your opions.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the input! I think I know I should go talk to them now, but I am also nervous because I don't want to be treated negatively because of that. Pregnant people in my squadron seem to get put on the detail team, with all the criminals and those waiting to be kicked out. Plus I'm new to the base, so I have that against me as well :(

I'm being a baby...I know it.

• imagehaswelljme:

Thanks for the input! I think I know I should go talk to them now, but I am also nervous because I don't want to be treated negatively because of that. Pregnant people in my squadron seem to get put on the detail team, with all the criminals and those waiting to be kicked out. Plus I'm new to the base, so I have that against me as well :(

I'm being a baby...I know it.

Perhaps the AF is different, but right around the point you're at in a pregnancy is when some of the other branches treat pregnant women differently (PT exceptions, etc).  It seems like it would be in you and your babies best interest to be up front with them. 

Maybe its just me, but if you know you're getting out soon...why is it such an issue to be put on a detail with others getting out as well? 

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I just separated AD AF during my pregnancy with my daughter. All the paperwork is done over vMPF. You just log in and follow the prompts under the Separations link, it is very self explanatory. I called my MPS before going through it to make sure I had all bases covered but I filled my paperwork out at about 20 weeks along. Your paperwork WILL get routed to your chain of command so it is in your best interest to tell them BEFORE you file paperwork. Blind-siding your CC will only look poorly on you. Once I had filed my paperwork, I had an approved separation date within 2 weeks. The process moved very quickly. Remember, that unless you are in a critically manned career-field the AF is in the middle of force shaping. IF you have any questions, feel free to ask. I did just under 8 years AD, if that makes any difference. 
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"