Baby Names
Options

9/11 Reading of the Names

Listening to the reading of the names. I can't help but notice the absence of all the terrible made-up names that we're faced with today.

EDIT:

I watched the 9/11 coverage, crying and thinking about the loss of these people, the families affected, and how our country has changed. I work in Manhattan (next to a firehouse) and the importance of this day is not lost on me. Like many, I think of 9/11 frequently. I have friends and family members in the military and NYPD.

After watching the coverage for a long time, it occured to me how many traditional names were being read instead of what we hear people choosing nowadays. I'm TTC and am a frequent lurker on this board. People post things they notice all the time on this board and I was just doing the same.

My comment was made here because this is a BABY NAMES board. That wasn't my only thought. I'm sorry if it seemed insensitive or if I used a poor choice of words.

Re: 9/11 Reading of the Names

• Options
    imageLeah&Jack:

That's what's going through your head during the reading?

Umm.... 

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with this thought. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is this lady serious? wtf... out of everything that she could think of during that reading, that's all she came up with? 
    image pregnancy
  • Options

imagequartz02:
    Listening to the reading of the names. I can't help but notice the absence of all the terrible made-up names that we're faced with today.

Hmm

Right...because a made-up name is comparable to the terror those people faced. 

I think this post is pretty jerky.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLeah&Jack:

imagequartz02:

You're right. Since 9-11 we have been faced with tragedy in the form of bad baby names.

Sheesh. This post really pisses me off. 

Um ya. Didn't anyone ever tell you to get some thoughts to yourself.  This is totally an insensitive comment. So if there was a unique name, would that not mean it was as tragic for that person...what is the point of this post.

• Options
    Yes, we lost so many with such good names. OMG.

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    She never said that's all she could think of while the names were being read. I hardly think her comment was insensitive or indicative that the only tragedy suffered that day was the loss of people with "good names." It was an innocent observation. Good Lord people, take a pill. 
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    Hmm Really? That is all you could think about? I think you are really missing the point there sweetie.
  • Options

imagePhilsWife07:
    She never said that's all she could think of while the names were being read. I hardly think her comment was insensitive or indicative that the only tragedy suffered that day was the loss of people with "good names." It was an innocent observation. Good Lord people, take a pill. 

It might have been an innocent observation, but it definitely wasn't one that should have been shared on a public message board.

And I think you're wrong. Her comment was insensitive, however innocent it was.  

• Options
    imageKtB0605:

imagePhilsWife07:

It might have been an innocent observation, but it definitely wasn't one that should have been shared on a public message board.

And I think you're wrong. Her comment was insensitive, however innocent it was.  

I'll give you that much. But today is a difficult day for many and I think we should give her the benefit of the doubt that she wasn't thinking clearly about the way her comment would sound before we jump all over her. 

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

Wow.

Someone makes an innocent post about noticing names, and you all jump all over her. She didn't say anything about "[being] faced with tragedy in the form of bad baby names" or that "a made-up name is comparable to the terror those people faced" or "if there was a unique name, would that not mean it was as tragic for that person".

All of you should take a deep breath, re-read the post again, and gear down. She didn't say that the names were the only thing she noticed or was thinking about. It is possible while remembering something (such as a tragedy), to be thinking about small details without suddenly being insensitive.

The knee-jerk reaction really wasn't warranted.

• Options
    imagejez_girl:

Wow.

Someone makes an innocent post about noticing names, and you all jump all over her. She didn't say anything about "[being] faced with tragedy in the form of bad baby names" or that "a made-up name is comparable to the terror those people faced" or "if there was a unique name, would that not mean it was as tragic for that person".

All of you should take a deep breath, re-read the post again, and gear down. She didn't say that the names were the only thing she noticed or was thinking about. It is possible while remembering something (such as a tragedy), to be thinking about small details without suddenly being insensitive.

Who said it was a knee-jerk reaction...think about it. The soldiers that are protecting her freedom most likely have some of those "names" that she was talking about. I am annoyed that she chose to announce her UO on a day that clearly is a sensitive one. Use some common sense. She should have kept it to herself. 

• Options
    Sorry, but using the phrase "that we're faced with today" certainly implies that she is equating it with some awful affliction or tragedy that we have to deal with. She may have been dramatizing a bit, but that particular choice of words is what makes the post in bad taste.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:

Wow.

Who said it was a knee-jerk reaction...think about it. The soldiers that are protecting her freedom most likely have some of those "names" that she was talking about. I am annoyed that she chose to announce her UO on a day that clearly is a sensitive one. Use some common sense. She should have kept it to herself. 

I see. So since those soldiers protecting her freedom (and yours) may have horrible, made-up names, no American will be posting about hating horrible, made-up names in the future.One is not allowed to have a negative opinion about something if it is somehow remotely connected to soldiers or patriotism or a terrible tragedy.

And I disagree that she should have kept her opinion to herself. There was nothing insensitive about what she said, and this is a baby names board.

• Options
    imagejez_girl:
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:

Wow.

I see. So since those soldiers protecting her freedom (and yours) may have horrible, made-up names, no American will be posting about hating horrible, made-up names in the future.One is not allowed to have a negative opinion about something if it is somehow remotely connected to soldiers or patriotism or a terrible tragedy.

And I disagree that she should have kept her opinion to herself. There was nothing insensitive about what she said, and this is a baby names board.

Oh jeez, and you're talking about knee-jerk reactions. Pot meet kettle, yes?

This IS a baby names board. People are allowed to have opinions about posts, just like people have opinions about names. No one said any post is flame-free. 

• Options
    imagejez_girl:
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:

Wow.

You do realize what TODAY is and obviously she is posting it in relation to events that are directly related with soldiers and patriotism.

Obviously we disagree on the tone and feeling behind this post. She has yet to come and comment or explain, so therefore I can assume what I want. I know this is a baby names board... I guess that makes it okay to post whatever you want right?! It is also a public message board and I can therefore comment in whichever way I want.

• Options
    imageKtB0605:
    imagejez_girl:
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:

Wow.

Oh jeez, and you're talking about knee-jerk reactions. Pot meet kettle, yes?

This IS a baby names board. People are allowed to have opinions about posts, just like people have opinions about names. No one said any post is flame-free. 

Sorry, no. I was attempting to demonstrate how silly everyone is being, not jumping to an irrational conclusion.

And yes, people are allowed to have opinions about posts. And they should be able to state them freely, no matter which day it happens to be.

• Options
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:

Wow.

You do realize what TODAY is and obviously she is posting it in relation to events that are directly related with soldiers and patriotism.

Obviously we disagree on the tone and feeling behind this post. She has yet to come and comment or explain, so therefore I can assume what I want. I know this is a baby names board... I guess that makes it okay to post whatever you want right?! It is also a public message board and I can therefore comment in whichever way I want.

Yes, she was posting it as she had just listened to the reading of the names. Obviously it was connected. I don't see why some people find it offensive, but I also wouldn't have a problem discussing names from WWII on Remembrance Day.

Absolutely, people have the right to post whatever they want, and comment in whichever way they want. We don't all have to agree. And I reserve the right to defend someone who I feel is being unfairly judged.

ETA: Whichever way *they* want. Oops.

• Options
    imagejez_girl:
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:

Wow.

Yes, she was posting it as she had just listened to the reading of the names. Obviously it was connected. I don't see why some people find it offensive, but I also wouldn't have a problem discussing names from WWII on Remembrance Day.

Absolutely, people have the right to post whatever they want, and comment in whichever way I want. We don't all have to agree. And I reserve the right to defend someone who I feel is being unfairly judged.

Just in the same way you don't see why some people don't find it offensive, idon't see how they don't. We can agree to disagree and that is what makes America a great nation to live.  

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. I will.

• Options
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:
    imagesydsmom04:
    imagejez_girl:

Wow.

Absolutely, people have the right to post whatever they want, and comment in whichever way I want. We don't all have to agree. And I reserve the right to defend someone who I feel is being unfairly judged.

Just in the same way you don't see why some people don't find it offensive, idon't see how they don't. We can agree to disagree and that is what makes America a great nation to live.  

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. I will.

Yes, we can agree to disagree. And I will enjoy the rest of my Sunday here in Canada. (We mourn with America too.)

• Options
    What? Is this real life?

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• Options
    I think the OP was just trying to make conversation on the Names board, and didn't think of how insensitive she might seem to others.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I definitely get what today is and the significance that goes along with it.  I however did see the OP's comment as being completely innocent.  I get what she's saying, that the children being born now are much more likely to have crazy, made-up, trendy names than the older generations.  I don't think her statement was meant to make light of the lives lost ten years ago in any way.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    how insensitive can you be?
  • Options

imagePhilsWife07:

Thanks, PhilsWife. I watched the 9/11 coverage, crying and thinking about the loss of these people, the families affected, and how our country has changed. I work in Manhattan (next to a firehouse) and the importance of this day is not lost on me. Like many, I think of 9/11 frequently. I have friends and family members in the military and NYPD.

After watching the coverage for a long time, it occured to me how many traditional names were being read instead of what we hear people choosing nowadays. I'm TTC and am a frequent lurker on this board. People post things they notice all the time on this board and I was just doing the same.

My comment was made here because this is a BABY NAMES board. That wasn't my only thought. I'm sorry if it seemed insensitive or if I used a poor choice of words.

• Options

Personally, I wasn't offended by the post. I think there are lots of ways to express grief and/or patiotism. Some people aren't touched by name readings, just like some people aren't touched by songs, candle lightings, prayer vigils or video reenactments. 

I imagine OP's mind wandered a little bit during the reading, and thinking about named during a name reading makes sense. 

Though I do understand other's being offended to the post, and it's not something I would have posted myself on this day. My heart goes out to anyone reading who lost anyone on September 11th or in its aftermath. 

• Options
    Wow girls! Calm down! I know that personally, in search of the "perfect" name for LO I am always listening for possible names whether it's the newest car model or yes the names read from 9/11. Maybe she doing the same and thought "wow, most of these names are traditional. Its kind of nice instead of some of the crazy stuff I hear now days" I don't think that the reaction that you all threw her direction was really appropriate. It def. does not mean that she wasn't effected by 9/11 or that she was trying to be insensitive. Thats MO
  • Options
    Sorry you got some rude comments. I only watched a few minutes of the names but I did hear several Josephs. The kids reading their parents' names is the worst part for me, I can't even imagine.
  • Options

imagemelissa721:
    What? Is this real life?

^ Greatest thing I've read today.  This is some of the craziest stuff I've ever read.  During the reading of the names I thought about the multiple deployments my husband has been on since 9/11 and not the names... but to each his/her own right?

Air Force Wife and proud SAHM to baby E, TTC #2 while BFing Uploaded with Snapbucket
  • Options

imagePhilsWife07:

I agree with you on this one. She said it was a thought not her only thought. Its a fair statement though. I don't think the poster is trying to insult anyone with this post, its just an observation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

And what are the rest of us doing, that we're posting here?  Probably not watching the memorial service....  And certainly not giving it all the undivided weight/sincerity/gravitas that plenty here are demanding it deserves.

Sheesh.

(I don't have TV.  That doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else, though.)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    TTC since 6/02 (age 22) K/U instantly despite no AF for 5 months--preemie baby boy 1/03
    M/C 11/04 - M/C 05 - M/C 06 - BFP 2/08--fullterm baby girl 10/08 - M/C 4/11 - went to RE at age 31
    DX: crappy quality & infrequent ovulation, mild MFI
    Stimmed cycle #1 C/P 7/11 - Stimmed cycle #2 C/P 8/11 - Stimmed cycle #4 C/P 10/11
    On Stimmed Cycle #5
    Always thought I'd be a "mom of many"--now just hoping to be a "mom of one or two more!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"