Working Moms
Options

Daycare allowed a child to fall down stairs...

We are not sure what to think.  I guess the kids all play in a room that is several steps below the main floor (so it is not a full flight of stairs).  Somehow, one of the kids fell down the stairs.  She is fine, but her mom took her to the ER and she now has a huge bruise on half of her face.  These kids are all 12-18 months old (this little girl is 15 months old).  I could understand if a 4-yr old tripped and fell - that would be an accident.  But how on earth is a 15 month old unsupervised enough around stairs to fall down them?  We can't figure it out.  Our daycare has been going through a lot of turnover lately, and we've been having other problems, but this is kind of the last straw.  The other daycare in our neighborhood only has one day open, so we are thinking about switching to a nanny part time until we can get into the 2 year old program at a different school.  What would you do?  Do you think this is an accident that could have happened, or was the school negligent?  
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Daycare allowed a child to fall down stairs...

• Options
    I don't see how they "allowed" a child to fall. However, if the kids are that young, they need to have gates up. We have a small set of stairs to our playroom, and if DS wasn't able to handle stairs, we'd have a gate.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    I don't see how they "allowed" a child to fall. However, if the kids are that young, they need to have gates up. We have a small set of stairs to our playroom, and if DS wasn't able to handle stairs, we'd have a gate.

They have to go down the stairs to get to the gym, so they allowed her to fall because she fell!  Why would you have a 15 month old near stairs without assistance?  I don't really know the entire situation - it just shouldn't have happened.  Why was she allowed to fall?   

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At my daughter's daycare (she is 15 months), they have to go up about 5 stairs to get to the play area outside.  So, 12 kids in a row crawl up the stairs on hands and knees (it's really cute).  Of course, they all do this together when it is time to go outside (the door to outside is locked otherwise, and there is a gate at the top of the stairs) and they are very supervised, but I could see one kid randomly falling when getting to the top or accidentally knocking another kid down or something.  This has never actually happened and the teachers are always right in front of them and behind them, but these things are possible with kids of that age.  So, I think I would need to know more information about what happened at your daycare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLuaBear:
    At my daughter's daycare (she is 15 months), they have to go up about 5 stairs to get to the play area outside.  So, 12 kids in a row crawl up the stairs on hands and knees (it's really cute).  Of course, they all do this together when it is time to go outside (the door to outside is locked otherwise, and there is a gate at the top of the stairs) and they are very supervised, but I could see one kid randomly falling when getting to the top or accidentally knocking another kid down or something.  This has never actually happened and the teachers are always right in front of them and behind them, but these things are possible with kids of that age.  So, I think I would need to know more information about what happened at your daycare.

I would think this same thing.

Both my children have fallen and required stitches and/or staples both at daycare and while I have been staying at home.  Stuff happens. 

• Options
    Saying they "allowed" her to fall kind of implies that they pushed her down the stairs or something. Yes, maybe they should have had gates up or maybe they should have been watching her more closely but it also sounds like you don't know the whole story. Accidents happen and even the best day care providers can't always prevent them.
  • Options
    LOL. They still didn't "allow" her to fall. As others said, accidents happen. They aren't purposely pushing kids down. Just yesterday, I got home right as my DCP was taking the kids to meet the bus. As I was watching them play, a boy younger than my so toddled over to DS and tripped and fell into DS. my DCP watched it happen, but there was literally nothing she could do from where she was. I'm not saying your DCP shouldnt be more careful, but they didn't "allow" it. Kids have accidents even under the most watchful of eyes.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I would ask them for details as to what happend (i.e., was the gate left open in error, did a child open the gate, was she pushed by another child, etc)

and find out what their normal operating standards are for transporting children who can't do stairs well up and down into the play zone and to ensure that the proper gates are in place at all times.

I would be more concerned about the high turnover of staff that you mention rather than one accident (if it was an accident that could have been prevented, that is).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can undertand being upset, but sometimes accidents happen, especially at this age. I work in a child care center with this age group, so I know how fast accidents with this age can happen. I have children who just trip and fall when they are walking and get hurt. I think you would need to know more details before you can assume it is neglect on the schools part.Good luck with what you decide!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

They didn't "allow" the child to fall, accidents happen every day.  Kids need to learn to go up and down stairs and sometimes they fall down in the process.

• Options

Accidents happen, that's how.

Do you carry LO up and down the stairs all the time? 

I know I don't.  I'm right there with her, but it only takes a quick second for something to happen.

• Options
    imageMrsSR:

Accidents happen, that's how.

Do you carry LO up and down the stairs all the time? 

I know I don't.  I'm right there with her, but it only takes a quick second for something to happen.

I carry DD2 down the stairs every time. I let her crawl up the stairs only if I'm right there behind her. She's 14 months.

I'm not sure why a 15 mo would be unsupervised around stairs enough to fall down them. Yes, it's an accident, but imo it's also negligent.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

How do you know the kid was unsupervised?  I've watched as DD tripped down ONE step, feet flying in the air, and face planted.  Since I didn't get to her at lightening speed or have super stretchy arms to grab her does that mean I "allowed" her to fall?  Am I a negligent mom?

OP, if you're that concerned you need to get the FULL story.  Saying,  "Somehow, one of the kids fell down the stairs" makes it clear that you're speculating.  You're taking second hand account and running with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As PP said, accidents happen.  At 15 months most of my kids were walking and wanted to "walk" down the stairs.  DD21 fell down the stairs right next to me, I opened the gate, walked through and she wanted to go with me so badly that she snuck right in between me and the gate and before I could grab her she fell down 6 steps.  Maybe one of the staff was helping the child down the stairs and he/she slipped. COULD it have been neglect? sure, but you would see a lot of signs if it was neglect (i.e. unlocked cabinets, rooms out of ratio).  Either way, if you are unhappy look for a new DC.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    We have 3 brick steps to go up to our front porch. DS tripped while HOLDING MY HAND and hit his face. That was when he was 3. I hope your child never gets hurt in your care. You may have to turn your self into cps.
  • Options
    Like others said, they didn't "allow" this kid to fall.  "Allowing" would more more like they were sitting there watching the kids teetering at the top and could have gotten to them and CHOSE not to.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    imagejamiedsgirl:

imageEastCoastBride:

They have to go down the stairs to get to the gym, so they allowed her to fall because she fell!  Why would you have a 15 month old near stairs without assistance?  I don't really know the entire situation - it just shouldn't have happened.  Why was she allowed to fall?   

You admitt you don't know the entire situation, so how in the helll do you KNOW that she was near the stairs without assistance?  She could've fallen even WITH assistance (as many of the ladies here have pointed out).  PLUS, if you don't know the situation, then you don't know how the little girl fell.

• Options

do you have stairs in your home?

I do- and all 3 of my kids have fallen down them at some point... i never "allowed" them to fall - it happend by accident - and thankfully they were all fine... but things happen.

if you don't like the daycare- then leave - but i certainly would not leave b/c of this incident.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Options

Ditto. They did not "allow" her to fall down the stairs.  Pretty dramatic statement.  Sorry. Accidents happen.  Kids fall.  Luckily they are resilient. 

There are no stairs at my daycare, but they do have gates up all over the place so kids can't get out of certain play areas. 

• Options

When my older daughter was about 13 months old, she fell down two cement stairs outside on the playground at daycare, and had the worst "road rash" all over the right side of her face.  Basically, the support person who was with her wasn't standing right with her and she fell down.  Of course I was upset that my child got hurt, but as others have said, accidents happen.  She's is very active and very clumsy and she has had accidents in my care too.  I spoke to the director about the need for a gate, they were appropriately concerned and put a gate up immediately.  Now my DH and I joke about it being the "LD [my daughter's initials] Memorial Gate". 

All you can do is address your concerns with the director, if you don't feel that you've been heard or that it's been handled appropriately then you can look at other options.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"