Baby Showers
Options

second baby shower?

What is the rule or etiquette on a second baby shower for a second baby?

I had a boy in Dec. 07 and now expecting a girl in Feb 08...

Re: second baby shower?

• Options

Well... it depends.  First, has anyone offered to throw you a shower?

My personal take- I think a full on shower for a 2nd baby is overboard.  Except for in special situations- babies REALLY far apart in age, twins the 2nd time around, etc.  Different gender is NOT a special situation in my book - you'll get lots of girls clothes regardless. 

Some people throw "Sprinkles" which are smaller and much simpler than a shower.  It's truly your CLOSEST family and friends.  Or have a "meet the baby" party after the baby is born.

But as close as your babies are in age ...  to have a full blown shower - why?  What could you really possibly NEED beyond diapers and clothes?  That's why I say if anything is done, it needs to be simple and small. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    It's a big no.  A shower celebrates a woman's transition to motherhood, which only happens once - even if #2 is 15 years younger than the first and has a different father.  Showers and registries are for first-time Moms only.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would so no, what would you be asking for? People will buy you girl clothes no matter what. Any toys etc... you should be able to use from your last baby. I would not go to a 2nd baby shower because I would see it as gift grabby even more so since it is not even a year since Dec 07 yet.

Photobucket
  • Options
    It depends really, this is my fourth baby and I only had 1 with my first. I am going to host a diaper dinner though! Bring a pack of diapers and just celebrate over dinner! Nothing much!
  • Options

ditto Roxy Lynn exactly.

And whatever you do, don't host a diaper dinner and charge people for your hospitality.  You are not a restaurant, and hopefully have better manners than that egregious example.

• Options

I am having a second shower but thats because 1. its been 9yrs 2. its a girl and the first girl in 2 generations for 16yrs 3. This is the big one, I had 3 pp fighting over who got to throw one. My mom won and is super excited to be getting a grand daughter and having a party for her/us. This is also dh first and only bio child he will get after months of trying and medical intervention to go with.

Since it is so close to your other child I would just have a get to meet our newest memeber party after she is born. Pp will buy presents if they want to either way.

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  I like the idea of a meet the baby party!
  • Options
    i disagree with the above posts, now i am a miss manners follower through and through and nowadays it is more acceptable its a way to honor the baby and parents
  • Options

i have 2 other kids both girls. we are having a boy. my mom and sil are give us a shower. i think every baby should have their own shower. big or small. i dont expect anything. but its nice to gather wit friends and fam.

if someone wants to give you a shower go for. if not then throw something yourself after the baby is born

• Options
    imageayanahuff:

i have 2 other kids both girls. we are having a boy. my mom and sil are give us a shower. i think every baby should have their own shower. big or small. i dont expect anything. but its nice to gather wit friends and fam.

if someone wants to give you a shower go for. if not then throw something yourself after the baby is born

• Options
    In our family we believe that every baby deserves to be celebrated so we have showers for every baby.  Even if it is just a diaper shower or a card shower we still do something special.
  • Options

Nope you shouldn't get one.

• Options
    Honestly, etiquitte goes against it, but if friends/family insist, then let them do it. I certainly thinks it's suggestive that it's your mom who is throwing it. Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it not supposed to be your mom? I may have no idea what I'm talking about since I've only had 1 baby, LOL. I would do it if people want to do it for you. My step-mom had a shower for each kid b/c her 6 sisters insisted. The gifts were tiny and that wasn't the point anyway. The games were a lot of fun and memories were made for the babys scrapbook. Have fun!
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with you. I used to work for Toys R Us and we encouraged all mothers to have a registry. Yes the woman you replied to had 2 very close births but still she may have learned what works and what doesn't a registry allows the friends and family to know what a mother prefers to use...It saves the mother from standing in line either very pregnant or with a newborn trying to get what she wants or needs. And what if the father hasn't ever had a baby? Most of those I know had the father's very involved throughout the entire pregnancy including the shower. So if you have a new daddy to be he should get to experience the whole feeling too...Not just mommy...It takes two from start to finish!
  • Options

Well we had our daughter Hayden in Feb and she was stillborn at 37 1/2 weeks. We are pregnant again and before we even knew what we were having the ladies at work and my closest friends said we are having another shower. I only want it to be close friends and family and right before I get induced. For my family shower, my mom and my bf are throwing it. It will be only family and very close friends and probably at a resturant.

We are having a boy this time and last time everyone went over board with the pink stuff. So there is stuff we need but we are getting alot of stuff ourselves. The shower is mostly to celebrate this baby also

• Options
    Throw etiquete out the window...celebrate your new baby!! If someone wants to throw you a party then let them throw it, invite whoever is important to you and they can either come or not...thats why it is an invitation not a demand....every baby is a completely new life brought to this earth and should be celebrated for all the love, laughs, and life they are bringing into your home.
  • Options
    imageMrsHall09:
    I'm sorry, but I totally disagree with you. I used to work for Toys R Us and we encouraged all mothers to have a registry.
    Toys R Us is a business.  They are not, by any means, experts on etiquette.  What they were doing was drumming up sales.
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of a baby shower for a 2nd child.  It's tacky, and it's right up the same alley as having to buy wedding gifts and bridal shower gifts for someone who has already had all that with a previous marriage.  My neighbor had one for her 3rd child, and that annoyed the heck out of me.  Of course, I was neighborly and went, but I wasn't too happy about it, especially when she stays at home and I have to go to work every day.  I shouldn't have to fund her decision to continue having children.  If they can't afford them on one income, they should stop having them!  If someone offered to have a shower for me for a baby other than my first, I would just tell them that I really don't think it's necessary.  I would be too embarrassed to even invite anyone!
  • Options
    I guess since I don't have kids I can't related, but I am a god mother and I was wondering the same question. I want to throw my best friend a little baby boy party since this is her 2nd baby, but it's her first baby with her husband. He has 2 other children, but the mothers pushed him away and he didn't get to be there for either child to be born or even past 2 months into the pregnancies with the mothers. Trust me...I've seen the pics he tried to take with the mom of his daughter...she look's pissed, but he's smiling and holding her and yeah... So it's a new experience for both of them since it's a boy...She's not asking for anything though since she kept stuff from her first but I don't know if I should make it a potluck or what all to do at the party...I've only been to 2 baby showers my entire life. I'm kinda baby party retarded.
  • Options

imageStarsGoBlu:
    I want to throw my best friend a little baby boy party since this is her 2nd baby, but it's her first baby with her husband. He has 2 other children, but the mothers pushed him away and he didn't get to be there for either child to be born or even past 2 months into the pregnancies with the mothers.
    Since she already has a child, it's inappropriate to throw her another shower.  And I bet that if her DH had a say in the matter, a shower - which the father usually doesn't attend, anyway - doesn't matter either way to him, he wants to be there for the birth and all.

You can host a nice no-gifts tea or luncheon for your friend - it's a lovely way to celebrate her blessing, and it's entirely etiquette-compliant.  :)

• Options

Ok.  So tell me if I qualify.....

I had my daughter in 2003.  I saved EVERYTHING.. Even bottles and pacifiers.  We lost everything in the fire last year, and literally have NOTHING baby because everything saved, was destroyed.  I am now pregnant with number two, and am really hoping someone wants to throw a shower, because I really have nothing.  Do I qualify on etiquette? Or is it still a big no no to have a shower for a second baby?

• Options
    a definate no.  that is tacky especially since the babies are so close in age!
  • Options

We do a small "sprinkle" for second babies in our social group.  It's usually a really girly gathering for pedicures or tea that includes small gifts for the mom to be.  For the most part it is a celebration of motherhood not really of a baby. 

• Options
    imagejeremysangel419:

Ok.  So tell me if I qualify.....

I had my daughter in 2003.  I saved EVERYTHING.. Even bottles and pacifiers.  We lost everything in the fire last year, and literally have NOTHING baby because everything saved, was destroyed.  I am now pregnant with number two, and am really hoping someone wants to throw a shower, because I really have nothing.  Do I qualify on etiquette? Or is it still a big no no to have a shower for a second baby?

IMO, to the post above... I think that is a special situation. If your house burned down, and someone offers to throw you a shower, then I think it would be ok. But honestly, I would still make my guest list shorter than what your first shower was.

BabyFruit Ticker, Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

One of my best friends relocated here when her son was 2 and daughter was 3yrs. old.  I didn't share in celebrating the birth of her son or daughter.  10 years later she's remarried and expecting a girl.  Her friends, family and I through her a shower and thought nothing of it.

I'd do it again.   In your case maybe your kids are to close together you should have a lot of stuff that can be handed down...clothes and diapers I'd have to agree with the others who say through a meet the baby party

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My husband and i decided not to register anywhere. The only things you really NEED are a crib, diapers, onesies, wipes and maybe some burping cloths. Everything else is completely unnecessary for a newborn.

We decided to have a "Welcome to the world" party after the baby is born. The idea of a shower as basically being a "present party" is kinda tacky, and we didn't do one for our wedding either.

Good luck wth your showers, but maybe you should think about what things you really NEED and what things people tell you "omg you just have to have this!"...there's usually a very big difference.
  • Options
    I really believe this depends on your family and culture and if someone wants to throw you a shower.  I think every baby should be celebrated.  I will not encourage a shower for myself personally because there isn't much we need.  However, I am pretty sure my MIL is already thinking of one.  In DH's family they do a smaller shower for each baby. after the first.  Its not about presents, and more about women getting together to celebrate the new life and Mommy.
  • Options
    I am not sure on the official "rule" on this. People will most likely buy gifts for you no matter what so it is to the discretion of your family and friends if they want to host a get together for you. I know that my family and friends are planning one for me although this is my second. My first though was in 1995 and my son will be 13 by the time I deliver our new addition. Wink
  • Options
    OMG! Thankfully everyone was ok. I would say that it is 100% acceptable to have a shower. I agree with some of the earlier posts. It is about celebrating this new life that will soon enter the world. To me I think some people are too concerned with etiquette. Every situation is different.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"