Baby Names
Options

Help me think of some similar names...

I've looked at lists, played with Nymbler and still have a very short list of names none of which we've committed to.  So help us out ;-)

My favorite name is Saoirse - but DH isn't sure he wants to go with something so Irish.

We both like Eleanor and Cordelia.  He likes Evelyn (which I don't dislike but it's not one I'd choose for my kid).  What are some other names along those lines that you love?

Trying to steer clear of uber-popular names and I guess we're on an "old-lady" name kick ;-)

Re: Help me think of some similar names...

• Options
    How do you pronounce Saoirse??  Other "old-lady"ish names that are classics - Ruth, Clara, Adele, & Hazel.
  • Options

imageemylos:
    How do you pronounce Saoirse??  Other "old-lady"ish names that are classics - Ruth, Clara, Adele, & Hazel.

It's seer-sha (although I suck with phonetic spellings); I know it doesn't look that way but that's the Irish language for you ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ok, I might not be the best help but I LOVE Saoirse!  I think that it is such a beautiful name.  It is also my cousin's name!  Your son has an Irish name so I do not think that Saoirse is that far off!  My vote is 100% for Saoirse!
  • Options

Similar to Saoirse, but not "so Irish"- Fiona, Maeve... some anglicizations of Irish names (according to THIS reliable source): Bridget, Brigid, Moira, Nora, Tallulah

Similar to Eleanor/Evelyn- Charlotte, Dorothy, Elise, Eloise, Evangeline, Loretta, Lynette, Mabel, Maeve, Margaret, Vivian

Similar to Cordelia- Cora, Clara, Corinne

Others you might like, but they don't really fit in any of the above categories: Annette, Camille, Camilla, Gwendolen

• Options
    imageEaglefoot23:

Similar to Saoirse, but not "so Irish"- Fiona, Maeve... some anglicizations of Irish names (according to THIS reliable source): Bridget, Brigid, Moira, Nora, Tallulah

Similar to Eleanor/Evelyn- Charlotte, Dorothy, Elise, Eloise, Evangeline, Loretta, Lynette, Mabel, Maeve, Margaret, Vivian

Others you might like, but they don't really fit in any of the above categories: Annette, Camille, Camilla, Gwendolen

It's funny because most of the italicized names were ones I was going to suggest. Obviously I'm biased to Moira & Maeve. I Love Saoirse, but w/an S last name it wouldn't work for us.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options
    imageNotwifezilla7:
    imageEaglefoot23:

It's funny because most of the italicized names were ones I was going to suggest. Obviously I'm biased to Moira & Maeve. I Love Saoirse, but w/an S last name it wouldn't work for us.
    That is funny. We are on the same page then.

PS: Moira and Maeve go together so well!

• Options

I really like Cordelia.  Other suggestions:  Adele, Cecilia, Cecily, Diana, Gwyneth, Helena, Irene, Iris, Juliet, Lucinda 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Love Cordelia! 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Isadora (Dora), Matilda (Mattie), Harriet (Hattie), Caroline (Cara), Irene, Helena (Nell), Alice, Margaret (Maggie), Theresa (Resa), Vivienne (Viv), Josephine (Jo), Evangeline (Evie), Meredith (Mere), Nora, Anna, Lucille (Lucy), Vera, Audrey, Suzanne (Suzie), Calla (Callie), Genevieve (Evie), Stella, Mary, Lydia, Jane, Lila, Ruby, Ivy, Cecilia (CeCe), Portia, Penelope (Penny), Rosalie (Rosie)
  • Options

Nice names!

The style makes me think of Briony, which I find adorable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"