School-Aged Children

tv shows: Victorious and iCarly

do you let your kids watch these shows?  dd gets to choose 2 shows/day.  when with our babysitter, she started to pick Victorious and ICarly.  I admit I haven't even watched these shows yet, but she looooves them.  WDYT - appropriate for age 7 or not?  (she's starting 1st grade in a couple weeks)  before this, she'd pick shows like Martha Speaks or Strawberry Shortcake.  She's my oldest, so I'm trying to have a little perspective on when it's time to move on ;-)

TIA!

Re: tv shows: Victorious and iCarly

• Personally, I hate these "teen shows".  1. they are marketed to the 8-12 yr old set.

2. none of these shows have parental involvement or if they do they are the most idiotic people on earth and the only ones w/ common sense are the children.

3. The smart alecky backtalk and clever quips that the children pick up speaking from the lines on these show rival the flameing snakiness that goes on here on the bump/nest.

My kids are older 14 and 11 but I have at different times banned these shows at different times and have noticed a decrease in behavior issues.

On the surface these shows are really tame and there is no "questionable" materials.  It's more the children rule the world and especially in iCarly the parents are dead, she's being "raised" by her 18-20 year old brother in a posh apartment with equipment and luxuries that they shouldn't be able to afford.

No one ever checks up on them.

I also have a diatribe against the max and ruby cartoon...similar to this

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • MrsSRMrsSR member
    All I can think of with Victorious is that dang song "My best friend's brother is the one for me... BFB!  BFB!"
  • Loading the player...
  • ...At least it's not Hannah Montana...

My 6yo will watch them from time to time but once she realized that these shows aren't actual reality she's switched to watching things like Power Rangers and shows from when I was a kid which I have to say are written FAR better in terms of including the educational/life aspect (aka: life isn't perfect - and backtalking isn't allowed towards adults)...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in the same boat.  My 7 year old went from watching the Sprout network to iCarly etc .  I am not a fan and I limit the amount of time she watches these shows.  Just pay attention to how often she is watching the shows and you should be fine.  GL! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker DD#1 3/04 *TTC #2 since 6/2010 EDD 1/30/13 changed to 2/4/13 we are having boy/girl twins!
  • check out the website common sense media.  It gives a pretty good guide to stuff like this!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • DD used to watch iCarly but now they are acting more like teenagers than preteens so I cut them off.

Oh- and not that it matters but ICarly's Dad is not dead....mom is.  He is in a submarine somewhere. ;)  Grandpa checks on them- I think only in 2 episodes though!  Doesn't change the answer to your question- just for those that want to know! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've heard a lot of my DD's friends mom saying that they have switched to these show and they are almost 7.  DD hasn't really taken an interest yet.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kids (now 9 & 10) were watching iCarly when they were 6 & 7, but have since lost interest. iCarly isn't so bad to me. They understand that Sam's bad behavior is not acceptable for them. It's just all in good fun and for entertainment purposes.

Having said that, I have never encouraged watching Victorious. I didn't flat out say no to them, but more like showed disapproval when the commercials for the show came on. Like, "Oh, that show looks stupid." They agreed with me and never watched it. If they sense that you won't like it, then they'll emulate you. 

~ Married 14 years and counting ~
    Chandler 11/2000 ~ Bronwyn 6/2002 ~ Grayson 3/2010 ~ Matilda/Till 6/2012
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    BFP 10/20/11 ::sticky dust::
    BFP 9/11/11 - m/c 9/25/11 5w5d
  • Nope. We watch things like How It's Made, anything on Sprout/PBS, and other things on like Discovery Channel/Science Channel. I do worry sometimes about the commercials that come on, but we use DVR a lot anyway, so I just fast forward through them whenever possible. I detest Nickelodeon- it seems like there aren't any good shows I'd let my kids watch on there anymore. I miss "You Can't Do That on Television!".
  • imageTonya_G:
    Nope. We watch things like How It's Made, anything on Sprout/PBS, and other things on like Discovery Channel/Science Channel. I do worry sometimes about the commercials that come on, but we use DVR a lot anyway, so I just fast forward through them whenever possible. I detest Nickelodeon- it seems like there aren't any good shows I'd let my kids watch on there anymore. I miss "You Can't Do That on Television!".

Oh - I so loved You Can't Do That on Television.  A few years ago my mom bought some DVD's of episodes of off Ebay (she had not clue they were 'bootlegs') but I had the best time watching them with DS (he was 11 or 12 at the time).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've watched iCarly and Victorious and honestly i think that Victorious is worse than iCarly.  My girls are 7 and 9 and I have no behavior problems due to tv shows.  We laugh at the funny parts and I do explain to them that things on tv are not real and not realistic.  They still think kissing is gross and look away if there is kissing, but honestly my kids don't like many shows besides spongebob, iCarly, or gumball these days.  We watch other things too beside nickolodeon or disney, but i think the girls like kid shows better.  Comedy teen shows really appeal to my girls right now, and with no issues from watching tv I don't have problems with them watching them.

I agree that these shows show "grown up teens" but as long as kids understand that tv for the most part is pretend, we don't have issues that arise.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • lurker here! Have you seen that "Friends" is coming to the nickelodeon nation?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"