Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Any suggestions? (2 1/2 yr old getting in car seat)

Help! I don't know what else to do, my 2 1/2 yr old sometimes does not want to get in the car when I pick her up from daycare or sometimes when we leave the park or other places. Most of the time though she does get in the car but will not get in her carseat. She throws a tantrum, yelling no, climbs to the other side of the backseat and the front seat. If I pick her up and try to physically put her in her carseat she starts trying to hit and slides down in the seat and screams. It is horrible and I feel embarrassed about it. I've taken things away, I've calmly explained/told her that in the car she has to be in her seat buckled in, I don't know what else to do. For the park we can just not go but picking her up from daycare is a must. Any help is appreciated.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  

Re: Any suggestions? (2 1/2 yr old getting in car seat)

• Options

have you asked her what the issue is?

also - bribes?  I let DD hold my car keys walking to the car/getting in the car, we also let her open the garage door, etc.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mine is the same age as yours and has occasionally done this. I don't even bother trying to explain or argue. I've had to get in the car with him and put my knee on his chest/abd while trying to buckle him in. Once safely buckled in and we're on our way, will I try and divert his attention to something else...Let's go to Gma's or let's go home and you can help Mommy make dinner..

It doesn't last forever. She will get a clue that this is not an option and be more cooperative. 

image Alcoholism is not determined by how much you drink or how often, but by negative consequences in your life that do not alter your drinking habits.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you've double checked to make sure the straps aren't too tight and that nothing is pinching her, I'd chalk it up to her just trying to assert her independence and have some control over life.

Unfortunately (for her!) she picked a nonnegotiable area!! What I'd do is calmly explain in advance that she had to get in the carseat and that I would force her if she wouldn't. Then, I'd force her in the seat -- screaming or not. I'd try to sing and distract her, but I'm not letting a two year old dictate whether we leave the house. I'm fairly sure after a couple days of this she'd give in. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Options
    we are going through that too...one my dd's throw a total fit...body flailing, back arching, trying to smack/bite/whatever so I can't get her in..I firmly put her in...some days I'll try to reason with her...but since it doesn't often help I just force her in while telling her sorry but she knows that she absolutely has to ride in her car seat...she usually whines most of the way home after I get her strapped inthere...hoping this phase passes quickly...
  • Options
    My ds does this sometimes.  He was always doing when we would go home on Fridays so I started bring a snack and that distracted him.  If I have time I  shut the door and let him scream and carry on in the car - bonus this gives me time to calm down. Other times I count down from 5 he likes to do things himself so if he starts getting in the seat and attempting buckles before 0 I let him if not I force him, 9 times out of 10 he would rather do it himself then be forced.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sometimes I just have to force her in, no matter how much she screams about it.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

imagesunnyday016:
    Sometimes I just have to force her in, no matter how much she screams about it.

Yep, me too.  It's awesome when people are around and my DD is screaming at the top of her lungs, hitting, and making her body stiff.  She'll also yell when we are driving "I'm stuck, I'm stuck mommy." Yes my dear, you are stuck :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I give DS options that end with the same result. I would ask him if he would like to get in the car seat himself or want me to put him in. The I would ask him to help buckle the seat belt on the seat once he is in. Giving choices seems to help and let's him feel like he has control.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Been there! I let her clip the upper clip of the car seat ( I check to see if its done properly before we go). This is a new challenge that she likes to do. Otherwise we talk about where we are going and make it sound fun.  We also have a toy or book stashed in the car for distraction. Sometimes nothing works, just one of those days!
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Hahahahah! Sorry, this is not funny when it's happening to you. I'm just glad it's not only happening to ME!

My DD is fiercly independent. Has been since her little (big) personality roared to life around age 1. For us, this problem started when she was 18 months old! It was easier then, because she was lighter and I could get her safely into carseat without using too much force. Now, she's a bit better, because she now knows there are consequences to her actions. I do bribe a lot, too. It's about the only thing that works with 2 year olds (and 3 year olds). I keep a little bag of her fav snack in the car, and she only gets it if she nicely climbs into the seat and sits down. (oh, and she has to get in now by herself or she'll freak out).

Time count-downs work a lot, too. When we are planning on leaving, I don't just tell her it's time to go NOW. I give her a 10 minutes countdown, a 5 minute countdown, etc. She usually listens after a little bit of push back.

It's a phase. She'll get through it. Try some little non-harmful bribes, the countdown, have consequences to her actions and follow through with them, and I'll bet she figures out that sometimes it's easier to listen to Mom than to fight Mom!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Glad I am not the only one! DS sometimes will take the option of crawling in himself vs being forced but not always. I try to let him crawl around the car (if we have time) for a few minutes before I tell him he has to get in his car seat. This usually works but not always. So like today I wound up having to do a time out for not doing what I asked and after that he was completely cool with me putting him in. It seems like I am always running down my list of tricks and HOPING something works before I run out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"