April 2011 Moms
Options

Tiny babies sure do catch up, but when...?

I know this is probably a stupid post, but I'm the only one awake at my house and am editing the fall issue of Contrary, and I got to thinking about this.

One of my former students (Jeremy) is a huge 6'6" lumberjack looking guy, and during winter quarter, his girlfriend had their little 6 lbs, 1 oz baby boy, Kyler. I was teaching a poetry workshop the next town over last week, and Jeremy came to the workshop and brought Kyler (his son), who is HUGE now at 8 months old. 

When I asked Jeremy if Kyler is considered a "big baby" on the growth charts, he said the doctor said if he stays that far "above the growth curve," he'll be 6'10" as an adult. WOW.

Is there a typical time when little babies "catch up"? I'm just curious. Liam is still around the 10-25th %-ile, so I'm not worried, but after seeing Kyler, it just made me curious. TIA.

---

NBR--If you're curious about what it's like to be a Poetry Editor, someone seriously sent me a blank page and called it a "Buddhist poem." *Sigh* (Hence the reason I take "Bump breaks" while working.)

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tiny babies sure do catch up, but when...?

• Options
    I had a similar conversation w a lady in the grocery store. Her baby was tiny but he was sitting up in the cart and was eating something. The cashier asked how old he was. He was 6 months. He was 14 lbs and pretty short. Jack was asleep in his carrier looked like a monster compared. The mom asked about jack and we started talking. She said her lo was 6 lb 1 at birth and the dr. Said he would catch up. She also had a 7 year old that was very tall for 7 and she said he was 6lbs at birth. It's funny because I think we both walked away concerned, me because Jack is not sitting up yet, and her because her lo was so little. So I don't have an answer but I just think Liam will catch up!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

DD was born average, at 8 lbs, 1 oz. However, she was a very slow gainer and at 4 months was only 11 lbs, 11 oz, and in the 7%. At her 9 month appointment, she had caught up and was back in the 50th %. At two, she is right on track for her weight, if a little shorty like her momma :).

DS was born big, at 9 lbs, 10 oz. He is also a slow gainer, and had gotten down to the 10th %. I am hoping now with the start of solids he catches up like his sister did.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD was 6 lbs 9 oz at birth - which was a little surprising to me since neither DH nor I are "small" people (DH is 6'1" and 200 lbs, I'm 5'7" and 140 lbs). At her 2 week checkup, DD was in the 25th percentile for both height and weight - by her 2 month checkup she was in the 95th percentile for height and 70th for weight, and by her 4 month checkup she was in the 96th for height and 80th for weight. So she's definitely "catching up" fast! I know I've read that EBF babies tend to grow very quickly the first 4 months, then slow down for the rest of the first year vs. FF babies who start out growing more slowly but then gain faster as they near 1.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Both of my kids were on the small side for their weight and caught up quickly by the 4th month.  As far as height, I remember DD1 didn't grow so much at her 6 mo ck up and the pedi advised around this age they see a slow growth but should spurt up again around 12 mo.  Of course, ea. child is diffn't....
  • Options
    At my LOs 4 month check up she was 17lbs & 26" long. According to the pedi she was in the 90th percentile for both height & weight.  While in the waiting room there was a lady with a cute 8 month old on her lap, Giselle was double that baby's size!Surprise 
  • Options
    I think by the time they are a year old, most super tiny and most gigantic babies are moving toward average. My nephews did (one on each end of the spectrum). However, there are always kids that are just small- both of my brothers always were, and they're still small as adults (one is like 5'4" or 5'5" and was always low on the growth charts); I was also always pretty small and am now only 5'2"...
    Old nestie, new name: formerly ckolak:-)
    imageimage
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Mama's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird
  • Options
    I'm kind of wondering the same thing.  LO was a 32-weeker and was 4lb 11oz and 18 inches at birth.  By the time she came home (at 15 days) she was in the 2nd percentile, but at her 4 month appointment she was 25th percentile for length (24 inches) and almost 30th for weight (13lb 5oz), so she's catching up.  She's slowed down her eating since then so I'm not sure she's going to keep growing at that pace, though.
    Been away from theBump for a while, getting active again for all the good advice :)Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"