Single Parents

Scratching my head... (NSPR)

I figure I'm a halfway decent mom, but I have two small kids - they're 3 and 2 and get into a bit of trouble.  

A FB friend posted a picture of a toddler passed out on their floor - he had taken off his diaper and smeared poop all over.  It's pretty funny. 

Someone else posted something along the lines of "Who would leave a toddler alone long enough to do this?  Awesome parenting..."  Not verbatim but something like that.

I've had two under two.  Sometimes I have to shut them in their rooms to run off some steam before they crawl into bed and fall asleep.  I've sat downstairs and worked at my kitchen table, not knowing one of them was going nuts with a thing of baby powder upstairs.  I posted that it only takes seconds for a toddler to decide they're the picasso of poop, she said she must come from different roots...  whatever that's supposed to mean, ha.

I asked if she had kids - she got offended and never answered the question, lol.  

Is it just my kids that are crazy?  Am I a bad mom for actually taking a few minutes to go to the bathroom by myself or take a shower or leaving them in their (childproofed) rooms to nap?  Is it possible to always have your eyes on your kids 100% so that they never get into trouble?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Scratching my head... (NSPR)

• For the most part I was usually able to leave mine alone and be in the next room, or take a quick shower.  Just recently my younger one must want more attention or something because I can't let her out of my eyesight.  She has miraculous climbing abilities and has gotten into perfume, lip balm, and nail polish on the second shelf up high in the medicine cabinet over the sink!  Last weekend when I was prepping for the hurricane she found gum in a pocket of the diaper bag that I didn't know was there....  She's something else.  But it is impossible to watch them at every second of every day.  Even if it's two seconds to go refill sippy cups with milk, there are times you just can't be there as a single parent!  That person probably doesn't have kids!
    J1 1.19.07
    J2 11.17.08
  • See, that's what I thought!  

There's nothing wrong with different parenting philosophies...  And attachment parenting is just fine - there just comes to be a point where the kids don't want to be so attached anymore.

I assumed if she was a parent she would have taken the opportunity to brag about her little angel or something, but she got all snippy.

What's the saying...  something about how everyone is a parenting expert until they have kids? 

• Loading the player...
  • My DD did this at nap time once.  It is not uncommon behavior.  DD would go in her room for "nap" and just look at books and play for an hour or so at that age.  She hasn't napped since she turned 2.  DS doesn't nap either, but he still stays in his crib for a half hour or so, to rest.  DD was out of her crib by 2. 

It's gross, but kids are.  

• JOE - are you a single mom now?  Or just passing through?
    J1 1.19.07
    J2 11.17.08
  • DS wouldn't do that just because he wouldn't do that. He has only wanted to poop on the toilet for the past several months. He's either pretty low key or not old enough to get into stuff like that, but he'd rather push his cars around or tuck his dolls in while singing them a song. He's just kind of chill, like the opposite of wild. I could just be speaking too soon, and even though he's precocious in most or all areas so far, perhaps he just hasn't hit his wild phase or the terrible 2's or 3's. And, he actually is supervised at all times unless he's sleeping (although even then I could hear him through the monitor), so that's another reason why it wouldn't happen.
  • My kids have never done that either... yet.  I've had to clean up just about everything else, it seems.  And during potty training for ODD there have been some messy misses.

YDD just turned 2...  it may or may not happen.   

ODD got lip stain all over her face a few weeks ago...  YDD found my Urban Decay eyeliner, that doesn't come off either. 

• I think we've all done something like that, the difference is that someone posted it on FB.  Sometimes I have to wonder about people sometimes, and why in the world she would share something like that.  I guess I can sort of see the humor in it, however, it's just opening up the floodgates to be scrutinized for your parenting skills.  I definitely would never post a thing like that.  But that's just me.  IMO, if she doesn't want the backlash, don't put it on FB.  Period.
  • imageachase123:
    I think we've all done something like that, the difference is that someone posted it on FB.  Sometimes I have to wonder about people sometimes, and why in the world she would share something like that.  I guess I can sort of see the humor in it, however, it's just opening up the floodgates to be scrutinized for your parenting skills.  I definitely would never post a thing like that.  But that's just me.  IMO, if she doesn't want the backlash, don't put it on FB.  Period.

The person who posted it doesn't have kids either - he found the picture on one of those sites with the funny pictures and reposted it...

I'm just wondering what planet someone lives on that they think you can keep toddlers out of trouble, 100% of the time. 

This is all hypothetical :)

• She has no clue what parenting is about. She will be one exhausted woman when she does have kids. DD has never played in her poop, but she has gotten into other things/made other messes. I always hate when it gets too quiet, BUT sometimes the few minutes peace is worth the messSurprise
  • If you have no kids you just don't understand the concept. If you don't have ten sets of eyes and the ability to be in two places at once then you'll probably miss your child taking their diaper off and smearing poop, eating something gross, destroying something, etc (the possibilities are endless, really).

That parent probably laid their kid down for a nap and came in later to find that scene. Or maybe they went to the bathroom. Or were cooking dinner.

Sh!t happens and no one's perfect! 

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • About a year ago, I had a friend living with us (me and the husband-thing). He has a 3 yr old boy, 2 yrs at the time, and we had laid him down for a nap in his PnP and shut the door to my friend's room. About 2 hrs later, we checked on him and he got bored waiting for us so he dug into his diaper and covered himself and the PnP in poop. Though none on the carpet luckily.

You can't watch them 24/7! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"