3rd Trimester

Does walking really help speed up labor?

39 weeks today. I took my dogs for a hike in the woods today and as I was walking home I got a VERY strong contraction that radiated from my back all the way around to my tummy, felt like the worst menstrual cramps on steroids. Nothing like the usual BH! I was excited that labor was just around the corner!! But of course the contraction never came back... If I continued to walk walk walk would it somehow speed up the time I go into labor? I'm getting SO impatient of waiting and I tried sex and nipple stimulation but nothing seems to help. Did walking work for you? What tricks worked for you?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does walking really help speed up labor?

• Not if your body isn't bound to go in labor anyway, IMO. I went 6 days overdue with DS and trust me I tried them all (minus castor oil and crochet hook :P). Nothing worked.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it hurts and if your body is already close to labor it can speed it up, but if your body is not ready, it isn't going to push you over the edge.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It can't hurt :)
  • Who knows?  You'll get women on here that will insist it doesn't, they tried, it did nothing...and those that will say they walked around the block and went into labor!!!  What will be, will be I guess!!!
  • I walked a ton at the end of my first pregnancy and it didn't help me go into labor any quicker.

No "tricks" worked to send me into labor. I got my membranes stripped at my 39 weeks appt and went into labor within 48 hours but that doesn't work for everyone.

• It makes it easier for baby to move down in your pelvis, but I don't think it'll put you into labor.

• I walked as much as possible during the last couple weeks with both my boys. DS1 was four days late.  Two days before, I walked four hours at the Renaissance Festival, the day before I was at the MOA walking all day IN labor.  Had him that Sunday.

Same thing with DS2. I was in the mall walking for hours, had him the next day.

So, IMO, walking does help get things moving. 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Agree with the PPs that your body has to be ready for it to work.
  • Sorry to tell u but when ur body is ready it will do its thing. I walk everydayAbout two to three times a day for thirty to fourty.five mind. a day. Im past my due date.Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's not going to put you into labor. At our birthing class with DD, the NP told us that if you're having contractions, walking can either make them stronger and more consistent or it can make them stop altogether. It's mostly dependent on what your body is ready for.
  • I've been walking alot lately too. I'm past my due date now so not so far. Although after my walk last night I was having non-consistant contractions that were mild for about 45 minutes but then they went away. Good luck though!!! I have heard that it makes for an easier labor though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"