Cloth Diapering

Questions about getting ready to use cloth diapers

How much did you spend on all of your cloth diapers?

How often do you wash them?

Do you have a favorite kind?

My sister uses cloth diapers on her baby and the biggest thing I don't like about them is that they're so wet against the baby's skin.  Are there specific types that are better at somehow pulling the moisture away from the surface?

Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
Currently TTC Baby #3

Re: Questions about getting ready to use cloth diapers

• I bought the cheap Chinese diapers on e-bay. Bought some that were not water-proof but found one seller who's cheap and makes great all-in-2's. So I spent $200 on 40 diapers. Also, they have polyester liner that lets baby feel dry, and microfiber insert that absorbs moisture. They are also very cute designs.

When I first started I tried pre-folds with covers. Hated them and went to disposable till I found AI2. I probably wasted a couple hundred on those too. The diapers that are made for overnight usually let baby feel dry (so they sleep longer).

I do laundry every 2-3 days because I don't like the smell.

image image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I spent about $300 on all of my CDs and supplies. I bought 24 Pocket/AIO one size diapers (with inserts), 12 extra hemp inserts (to use for naps & night time), 2 small wet bags for day trips, 1 medium wet bag for hanging in the bathroom, a diaper sprayer for the nasty diapers, 2 washable diaper pail liners and a 12L step-can to use as a diaper pail. I bought most of it on eBay.

I wash every 2-3 days. Now that DS is older and not going through as many, I could very well go to 3-4 days, but it is too hard on the diapers to sit that long unwashed, plus the smell would get pretty bad I think.

I absolutely love the diapers we have. We have several different brands of them, but definitely have our favourites and not-so-favourites.

The diapers have micro-fleece liners against the baby's skin. Micro fleece wicks away moisture so DS stays just as dry as he did in the disposables. (We did both! We switched to cloth at 5 months, and I don't regret it for a second. By October we should have made our money back on the diaper stash.) The outer layer is made of PUL, which is completely waterproof, and the inserts are micro-fibre & hemp - very absorbent.

I got most of my info from these websites:

Cloth Diaper Systems All About Cloth Diapers | Cloth Diaper Answers All About Cloth Diapers

Cloth Diapering - Cloth Diapering Products and Resources
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Probably between $300 and $500. I've bought a lot used and I've sold off some, so it's hard to say at this poing.

Every 2-3 days

I like a particular WAHM brand. She makes fitteds and pockets. It's like one-stop shopping ;)

Prefolds and fitteds are more likely to stay wet against baby's skin. Pockets and some others have a stay-dry inner that keeps your LO drier. And you can always use fleece liners as a stay-dry liner as well.

Are you considering them? Did you read the FAQ yet?

• I just added it all up, and far more than I thought. But I also didn't buy smartly-- all were new and only a couple were seconds, and I was more focused on just trying things and completely lost track of the number-- and I am still also really establishing a stash of what we like/don't like, so that number will probably go down as I sell off other things.

I wash every other day, but could go 3-4 without if I wanted to. I just don't like the idea of them sitting that long.

Fuzzibunz perfect fit make up the bulk of my daytime stash, but I wish I hadn't bought so many of them. They do seem to be a love it or hate it kind of diaper.

Pocket diapers in general are probably better about pulling moisture away, since the pocket is generally fleece or microsuede and it wicks it down into the insert (I usually can't tell when my son is wet just from the pocket) but you can do the same thing with fleece liners in other diapers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Thanks for all of the info.  I'm going to read the FAQ and look into the different things mentioned.  I have to admit that a lot of the terms and language are new to me - almost like reading another language!
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"