VBAC

C-Section Question

Hello Ladies.  I thought this board might be a good place to post my question although it is a bit off the VBAC topic since everyone here has had a C-Section.  Sorry that it isn't exactly board related. 

With my first child, I delivered vaginally but had significant internal and external tearing that took about 10 weeks to heal.  However, I did heal well and everything is in good working order now.  At the time, my doctor told me that with a second child, a C-Section might be indicated so I always just assumed that I would be having a C-Section with this child.

During my first visit with my OB, whom I love, for this pregnancy he told me that the injuries were very unusual and that it was probably unlikely to happen as badly again and that since I made a full recovery he would be inclined to try a vaginal delivery again because recovery from a C-Section was more difficult and the risks were greater. But, he told me it is up to me and we could deliver via C-Section if I wanted.

Long story short, I am looking to see what you ladies thought about recovery after a C-Section?  Any advice?  Thanks for listening.

Re: C-Section Question

• For me recovery after my c-section wasn't horrible andI didn't have any serious complications. However that was also my first baby and I didn't have another child at home to take care of. There are many restrictions that come along with a c-section, I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than the baby, I could not drive for six weeks, you can't eat for 24 hours after your c/s (or you're not supposed to) and the most exercise you are supposed to do is slow walking. These were just the ones my Dr. gave me, it may be different for others. Just like any vaginal birth, c-section births can differ greatly, you will find those with horrible experiences and those who thought it was a breeze! Good luck with your decision though whatever you choose!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Personally, I would try for the vaginal birth.  It's guaranteed that even if you have a perfect c/s with no complications, you'll have to go through recovery from the surgery, while taking care of your first child and a new baby.  And that's aside from the risks of a RCS.  However, I completely understand that you would feel reluctant based on your previous birth experience- it sounds pretty traumatic!  Since your doctor seems to think that it is unlikely to reoccur, you may want to consider the vaginal birth.  Especially if you plan on having more children after these two, since the risks increase with each RCS.  Maybe you could seek a second opinion about your previous experience and the liklihood of repeat tearing?

• Loading the player...
  • imagekcvasquez:
    For me recovery after my c-section wasn't horrible andI didn't have any serious complications. However that was also my first baby and I didn't have another child at home to take care of. There are many restrictions that come along with a c-section, I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than the baby, I could not drive for six weeks, you can't eat for 24 hours after your c/s (or you're not supposed to) and the most exercise you are supposed to do is slow walking. These were just the ones my Dr. gave me, it may be different for others. Just like any vaginal birth, c-section births can differ greatly, you will find those with horrible experiences and those who thought it was a breeze! Good luck with your decision though whatever you choose!

I didn't have the restrictions I marked in bold. I ordered food the moment I made it to recovery, and was told it was perfectly fine. I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks. My recovery was mostly fine. I felt pretty much back to normal after 2 weeks. I wasn't ready to run a marathon or anything, but it no longer hurt when I sat up or when I laughed or sneezed. The main reason I want a VBAC is because I want to be able to pick-up my toddler, and I can't do that with a repeat c/s. I'm not sure how old your child is, but that might be something you want to keep in mind.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Since you already have a LO to think of, and the risks and recovery of c/s are a lot more serious than a vaginal birth, I would at least try for the vaginal birth.  Like a PP I had a lot of restrictions for my c/s: couldn't eat for 24 hours (I was so nauseated from the drugs I threw up anyway and couldn't get out of bed for 12 hours), couldn't lift anything heavier than my baby, and wasn't supposed to drive for 6-8 weeks.  

I have a very active toddler and do not want any of those restrictions this time!  Also it was hard to get into/out of bed, which I really hated. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I agree with all pps.  If nothing more, I wanted to try for the vaginal birth so I would not have the restriction of picking up and carrying my toddler around.  After DD was born, DS was great but needed the reassurance of me still picking up, carrying and cuddling him and it was nice that I wasn't restricted from that (I probably would have done it anyway but it would have been painful).  So, bottom line- if your doctor thinks that your first delivery was a freak thing, then I'd go for the vaginal birth because there are fewer risks and complications to you and the baby.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Your story is very similar to my story. I had a lot of tearing with my vaginal delivery for #1 and then somehow got an infection in the area which developed into a huge abscess. Long story short I was on bedrest after the birth because I couldn't even walk it was so painful. When I got pregnant with #2, I was given the same talk about well we can offer you a c/s and thinking the grass was greener, I took that option.

If I could go back in time and slap myself I would. I'm 9 months out from my c/s and I'm still having pains from the internal stitches. I found the c/s recovery to be way more painful than I had thought and the lifetime of a numb stomach is so not worth it. The vaginal recovery, while extremely painful, was over and done with in a month.

• Yikes!  Your previous birth experience sounds very traumatic!  I don't know what I would do in your situation.  I think I would probably ask the doctor about what would the outcome be for me if I did have that tearing again?  It sounds like something that could possibly do permanent damage?  I had a c/s with my DD and was only told not to drive for 2 weeks, not 6.  I felt back to myself mostly by 2 weeks, although I realize that not everyone has that experience.  Now at 12 months out my numbness is gone, and the only evidence of the surgery is my scar.  Good luck in whatever you decide, please keep us posted!
  • My c-section wasn't great, but wasn't horrible. I'm def. trying a VBAC this time...My dr. didn't get all the placenta out and I was bleeding for 10 weeks pp and ended up having a D&C where they had to remove the rest of it. Not fun. I personally didn't enjoy having to walk around like a grandma for weeks, not drive for two weeks, cry when I laugh because they just cut my stomach muscles, it was also hard not to get up every time my baby needed me and let others help because I was recovering from a major surgery. I know vaginal births aren't glamerous but I'm sure it's an easier recovery then a c-section. If you can help it, I wouldn't. I also really wanted to be the one having the baby, not my doctor and I never got that chance yet. remember that C-sections are a major surgery and there are risks involved with that, more than a vaginal birth (as long as it's a 'normal' one) Good luck!!
  • My c-section was planned and uncomplicated, but the recovery really sucked.  I was in pain and had difficulty moving around for about 6.5 weeks.  I could barely push a stroller because it hurt.  Getting in and out of bed was very difficult, and going to the bathroom was a nightmare.  I couldn't lift anything heavier than the baby for 6 weeks.  That included his carseat, so I couldn't really go anywhere without DH.

Nine months out, my belly is numb to the touch.  I occasionally get intense itching along the scar that I cannot scratch, and it keeps me awake at night.

There can also be quite a bit of emotional healing after a c-section, but not everyone is bothered by it. 

• I'm still up in the air about whether I want to try a VBAC or not.  My c-section was scheduled for breech.  I did have nausea/vomiting for about 24 hrs from the anesthesia afterwards - although they think the same thing might happen with the epidural if I get one this time.  But I didn't have much pain at all - I was just on motrin by the time I went home.  And I was allowed to drive once I wasn't taking any pain meds, which was about a week.  I never really noticed numbness at the incision or anything.  I did get some pain when I first tried to run again at about 6 weeks - but I just backed off and took it slower, and was able to increase back to where I was prepregnancy.

I also never experienced any of the emotional trauma that some people seem to - I carried my baby for 9 months, I was the one who had him, my doctor just had to help a little :-).  I was never separated from him after the birth - that probably depends on hospital policy though. 

I am nervous about being able to pick up DS - but I have already been cutting down on that now, since I have a lot of sciatica this time.  So he's pretty used to climbing up next to me on the couch, bed etc.  So my plan is to consider a VBAC if I go into labor on my own - if not, I am probably going to schedule a repeat c-s on my due date.  My doctor is very understanding and supportive and willing to let me go as long as I want, up to 2 weeks past my due date.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the advice ladies.  I really appreciate it.  I am thinking that I am going to try vaginal again.  What the heck.  I also have a very active toddler and I want to be able to baby him a bit when the new baby comes.  Now to tell my family- I think they were more traumatized than I was by the birth.  They saw me pass out from losing blood, which apparently really upset them.

I definitely appreciate the grass is always greener theory, which is hardly ever true.  Turns out there is no easy way to get these babies out of us!  Oh well- it is 150% worth it.

• imageMaine38:
      Turns out there is no easy way to get these babies out of us!  Oh well- it is 150% worth it.

Yes

Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerv
  • Everyone is different, but I didn't find it to be that bad at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not a total walk in the park. I needed my husband to get out of bed and physically put me in a sitting position or lie me down for the first week or so because I couldn't use my abs at all. That was probably the worst. Other than that? I wasn't really in any pain unless I pushed myself too hard. By day 5, I was out shopping with my girlfriend, driving my car (which I didn't find out until after you're not supposed to do. Whoops), going out for dinner, feeling mostly like a normal person. There were a few times when I was forcibly reminded that I wasn't normal- putting away dishes from the dishwasher, for instance- it hurt for a little while to carry a stack of plates up high to slide them on the shelf. Little things. Make sure you have lots of support (my husband took six weeks off work to stay home with me).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"