3rd Trimester

Maternity leave

Just wondering.....how long did you work until you left for maternity leave? Is there any normal or average wait time until you leave?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Maternity leave

• I'm still working... I'm due in 6 weeks.  Technically, contractually, I'm obligated to work until my due date.  My  maternity leave does not begin until I actually give birth, though, so if LO is late or if I need to go out earlier than expected, I use sick days until I go into labor.

I suppose I CAN go out anytime I wanted since the time comes off sick days and not my maternity leave...but I want to save as many as I can for AFTER I return to work and need them.  I plan to work until the week before my DD if possible. 

• I worked till I was in labor both other times and will do the same this time.  I don't want to waste my paid time off before baby is here, especially since there is no way to know when baby will arrive.

My first was 11 days overdue.  I was actually working at home the day I went into labor.  I e-mailed my team as I was walking out the door, had my baby about an hour after the e-mail.

My second was born on her due date.  I went to work the day before, came home, went to bed and woke up in labor, had her before I was even supposed to be at work the next day. 

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Loading the player...
  • I stopped right at 36 weeks. not really BECAUSE I was 36 weeks, more so because it was the date DH and I had originally decided on when I first became pg. Financially, I couldn't have stopped sooner. I had first assumed I would be working up until labor but am so grateful I didn't have to.  I think it also really depends on the job. I was on my feet 8 hours a day (aside from 30 minute lunch break) and running around/ in and out of hot kitchen, etc. That being said, there are many women with worse jobs than me who go until contractions start!

ETA: It also (as pp's have said) depends on your mat. leave policy. I actually quit my job because we don't want to pay for child care -- will find another job during DH's off hours-- If I had to worry about only taking a certain amt of time off, I think I would have stuck it out until I had her, just so I could spend more time with the baby and not just sitting around the house waiting

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• See, I'm going to be 37 weeks on Saturday, and I've stopped working already. I too am on my feet all day, except for a 30 minute lunch break. I'm not sure if I should go back in and make up some hours until I get closer to 40 weeks or so, but I'm also scared that I won't be at home when I go into labor or when my water breaks! My plan was to be at home for that. And my baby hasn't dropped yet, so I'm thinking about going back to work until that happens at least, but I'm not sure Tongue Tied It's confusing and kind of frustrating. I'm a first time mom, so that doesn't help either, lol.

• I worked until my due date with DD#1.  DD was 8 days late and I ended up sitting at home and wasting a week of my leave.  I will be working until I go into labor or my induction date this time.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Today is my due date and also my last day of work.  The latest my doctor will let me go is Tuesday so I figure taking the rest of the week off will be nice ;) 

• I was going to wait until I went into labor (my EDD is 11/19) or the week of Thanksgiving (11/21), whichever came first.  I work in courtrooms and that week there is no court so it was a good stopping point that still gave me plenty of maternity leave after baby was born.  That was shot all to hell when I was put on bedrest but that was the plan!  Mat lv was not something I was going to feel guilty about.  I had saved almost 12 weeks of paid time off and was going to enjoy every second of it I wanted to!
  • I am due on Friday and will be working until baby decides to come. I work 8.5 hour shifts and am on my feet for 8 hours of the day, it's definitely not comfortable anymore, but I feel that it helps pass the time and have talked to several women who said that their labors were easier when the worked more/longer. I wouldn't be able to sit home for weeks before LO arrives, but that's just me, I like to be on the go most of the time!
  • I am very fortunate to work for a company with a great maternity policy in total I will get 17 weeks off all at full time pay. We have the option of taking up to 4 weeks off before our due date if we choose. I am due the first part of October and will be working until the 16th of September, right about my 37th week. I have decided on this date as it will still give me lots of time with my LO once she is here even if she is late and the time at home before hand will give me the chance to make sure the house is clean and ready and everything is done. The nesting instinct has deffinatly kicked in but I work long days usually and am busy on the weekends with the regular house work so I feel like having a couple weeks to deep clean everything will be good.
  • that depends on your employer, if you are given time for maternity leave that you can piggyback onto disability or FMLA. i'm not given any time, so basically it starts when i say i'm not coming to work anymore or i'm in labor
  • I'm planning on going out a week before my EDD. This should (barely) put me back at work after New Year's.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With DS I left work at 5pm on Monday at my water broke Tuesday morning at 1am. I had him by the time everyone got into work. I was two weeks early. I plan to work till my c-section or baby comes. (or doctor decides otherwise)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I know we get 6 weeks maternity leave at my job, and 8 weeks if we have a c-section. But I don't have health insurance at work, and I'm a receptionist.....so I'm thinking it doesn't really matter how long I take my leave for. Although I'm not sure, and I'm guessing I'm going to have to look at the employee handbook for any questions I might have. I feel kind of silly actually for starting my leave so early, but I felt so useless at work anyways due to being pregnant.

• imageHeatherK524:

I know we get 6 weeks maternity leave at my job, and 8 weeks if we have a c-section. But I don't have health insurance at work, and I'm a receptionist.....so I'm thinking it doesn't really matter how long I take my leave for. Although I'm not sure, and I'm guessing I'm going to have to look at the employee handbook for any questions I might have. I feel kind of silly actually for starting my leave so early, but I felt so useless at work anyways due to being pregnant.

Um, you should probably have a chat with your boss about this.  

I was planning on working until I went into labor, but my doctor recommended that today be my last day, which is fine by me.  It hurts to drive, walk, sit, and stand.  I'm on short-term disability until the baby comes, and then I'll start 16 weeks of paid parental leave.

Happy Spring!.
  • I'm taking my official maternaty leave (for one year) nov 21, 5 days before my due date.  I have lots of sick time, annual leave and family time so I will be leaving work mid october.  My job is a term so it ends while I am gone so I have no job to go back to.  We are going to try and make it work as me being a SAHM. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm self-employed so probably not the one that should answer but I will be working until I go in labor.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work from home...so I will be working until I go into Labor - I only get 6 weeks, and don't want to waste any of that time without my LO here.
  • I'll work right up until 38 weeks if I haven't given birth by then. Our government gives us 1 year maternity leave, so I'll be back 1 year from that date.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • I am working up until 36 weeks which is actually in two weeks! I am just so tired all the time I cannot concentrate. My job allows maternity leave 4 weeks before DD and six to eight weeks after.
    BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"