Stay at Home Moms

How often do you wash your bath towels? (clicky poll)

As I do my laundry I am just wondering what other people do. How often do you wash your bath/shower towels?

[Poll]
Anyone can be cool, but awesome takes practice!

Re: How often do you wash your bath towels? (clicky poll)

• I guess why I was thinking about this is because I stayed with my mom for a while and she washes her towels after every use. She does a lot of laundry and her towels wear out quickly.  She adds bleach too.  I guess you are clean when you come out of the shower, so if you hang to dry you should be able to get a couple uses out of it right?
  • I used to use a new bath towel every day when I was in high school and then my parents were like, uh, that is too much laundry, stop it.  So I did.  I'm 1-2x a week changing them out, just depending on how with it I am.  It doesn't really bother me to use the same towel for several days, it dries out and it's my towel, not a family one or something.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I wanted to post this exact question about a week ago but I've never done a poll.  I change towels out 2x a week.  I'm glad to see I'm with the majority. I thought people would change them out more often.
    image. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm apparently very dirty :-)  Or a slovenly housekeeper.

I voted for when they smell.  That's not strictly true, but I don't have a schedule or anything.  I'm sure I've used my towel for more than a week.

DH changes his out more frequently, but he also often showers twice a day.

I feel like I'm clean when I get out of the shower, so how dirty can the towel really get?  I dry off with it for maybe 60 seconds then hang it up to dry.

I do change out hand towels more often, though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • I am apparently a crazy clean-freak about this as we switch out after every use. I can't believe that the most popular response was once a week!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am really not being snarky at all, but 10% of people wash their towels after EVERY use?  I don't understand that.  You take a showert, wash your body thoroughly, dry off, and how does that make the towel "dirty"?

I take 2-3 showers every day, and I wash my towel about once every 8-10 days.  DH and I each have our own towels in our bathroom, and I know he never uses mine, so I don't think there's germs on my towel, because only I'm using it.

But I also wear my jeans 3-4 times between washings, and only wash my hair twice a week, so maybe I'm just a dirty freak, lol...

I do switch out my kitchen towels and bathroom hand towels every few days.  And when we're having guests I put extra towels out, because I hate drying off my hands with a wet towel, it grosses me out!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I guess my thought is that when I am drying my butt... even though it is clean, it's still my butt.  And the next time I get out of the shower and dry my face, I could very well be drying my face with the portion of the towel where my butt was just a mere 24 hours prior.

I am not judging anyone who only washes their towels once a week - I just can't handle it! 

• imagekayla&joe:

I voted every 3rd use but that's an estimate.

Am I the only one who shares a towel with my husband?  We don't have his/her towels, we just have two in the bathroom and use whichever one is dry.  He takes showers at night and I shower in the morning/day.

We don't share towels, because I am very anal about hanging mine up, and he will just throw it on the ground.  I flip out if I don't have a nice fluffy dry towel waiting for me!  So a few years ago we decided that his towel is the close one on the towel rack, and mine is the further one out.  It works well for us!

• I throw them in the wash after 2 uses...so normally my husband and I will use one towel and the boys will use one towel a day.  My thought is that boys are dirty and they should be washed that often, LOL.
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • mamatojackson - this should cut down on your washload!

https://www.amazon.com/Westminster-0076-Butt-Face-Towel/dp/B0006GKKLW

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wash after every use too.  I'm a germaphobe and personally I think it's gross to go a whole week. But eh, to each his own. Just know when I'm at your house, I'm not using my towel for a week.
    Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • imageThe_Jen626:
    imagekayla&joe:

Am I the only one who shares a towel with my husband?  We don't have his/her towels, we just have two in the bathroom and use whichever one is dry.  He takes showers at night and I shower in the morning/day.

We don't share towels, because I am very anal about hanging mine up, and he will just throw it on the ground.  I flip out if I don't have a nice fluffy dry towel waiting for me!  So a few years ago we decided that his towel is the close one on the towel rack, and mine is the further one out.  It works well for us!

We don't share...We just have a special spot that we put our towels on the rack so we know which one is ours. 

As an aside...I got a free sample of the Downy Unstopables: https://www.downy.com/en-US/product/unstopables-fresh.jspx  to try because I like to use fabric softner on my towels etc...and I have to say that of all the products out there, this product really works.  I am one of the once a week or so washers and by the end of the week, my towels still smelled and felt fresh.  Not an excuse not to wash, but it worked for us and our water. Sharing FWIW!

• I have a question for the people who wash towels after every use.  (Not judging or beign snarky, just a question).

How often do you do laundry?  Do you do a load every day then?  Do you wait and wash when you have enough for a full load?  What do you do?

• I change them out 2 times a week (Sundays and Thursdays).  This is because we live in Germany and the house is always humid.  Things mold up pretty quickly, especially when there is only 1 bathroom for 3 adults who all shower in the AM. 

However, we only use white towels and there are about 20 of them (none really match per se).  I will do a single towel load every other week. And I use bleach and hot water. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I hang the towel up when I am done, the next morning, I take the dried towel and throw it into the hamper and grab a new one.  

• I can use a towel a couple of times before washing, but I prefer to have it washed every time. As PP said about wiping your face with the same place you wiped your butt. And also bacteria LOVE moisture, so if you are reusing your towel, you MUST hang it up to dry so that bacteria will not go rampant on your "clean" towel.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I change ours out every week. However, I use two towels. One for my hair and one for my body, because the whole wiping my face with the "butt" part of my towel grosses me out. So, I use one color for my hair and one for body that way they don't get mixed up.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageMamatoJackson:

I guess my thought is that when I am drying my butt... even though it is clean, it's still my butt.  And the next time I get out of the shower and dry my face, I could very well be drying my face with the portion of the towel where my butt was just a mere 24 hours prior.

Well, I have two towels: one for my face and hair, the other one for my body.

Also, I don't specifically dry my butt. I lightly glaze the towel on my body, but don't rub it down, really.

I switch out my towel after probably 5 uses each.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I'm fascinated by this conversation. Do you people really dry your butts? No wonder you don't want to reuse your towel. I just wrap the towel around me as I step out of the shower -- I don't actively rub myself dry at all. I run around naked while I brush my teeth and stuff, so I mostly drip dry. My towel isn't all that wet when I hang it up to dry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • I try to be as Eco-friendly as possible so we reuse towels. I can't even imagine the amount of laundry I would have to do if each member of our family had to have a clean towel every time they showered! We hang to dry and reuse for about a week. I also can not imagine all the towels I would have to buy! I would need like 28 towels and that's with washing eveey week once! Who has a linen closet that can handle that many towels along with sheets and all? I am shocked (but not at all judgy), just shocked.
  • after each time we use them..... i consider that normal I guess.
    Success after Infertility! Clomid & IUI November 2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I throw them in the hamper after each use but I only wash them once a week if that makes sense. I made sure that we had enough to last the whole week because I hate doing laundry, lol.
  • imagescatteredtrees:

I voted every third use, but that's an estimate. I usually trade them out for fresh towels every couple days and then do a load of towels every week.

If that made any sense at all.

This exactly... I only do one load a week, but I trade out every 2-4 days depending on how often I shower at home rather than the gym. 

• imageThe_Jen626:

I am really not being snarky at all, but 10% of people wash their towels after EVERY use?  I don't understand that.  You take a showert, wash your body thoroughly, dry off, and how does that make the towel "dirty"?

https://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1995-11-24/ 

I'm one that washes after every use.  I think seeing this strip years ago is one of the reasons why, LOL.  Logically, what you're saying makes sense, but that towel isn't really getting any cleaner with each use, you know?

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I am dying laughing at all the butt drying talk going on here!!!

And I wash them once a week.  Sometimes DH's starts to smell because he often showers twice a day and I'll change them if they smell.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I wash them after every use, and with approximately 5 towels being used a day, I do a load every day.
  • We only use them once before washing.  In the summer it's so darn humid here that they don't dry between showers and DS1 and DS2 towels usually are needed to mop up after their done with their bath. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I get dressed pretty quickly after showering so if I didn't dry it, I think I'd have, as my husband calls it, "swamp ass".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"