Special Needs
Options

I lurked here.....

when I was pregnant. I remember thinking "there is NO WAY I would be able to handle some of the stuff these ladies are going through" 

I was even a bit superstitious about it. I thought that I shouldn't lurk cuz then I'd end up here....hmmm.

Ever notice that hardly anyone admits to lurking here when this poll is done on other boards? Those that do admit to lurking have some sort of dx or are posters here already.

So yeah. I lurked here. Surprise

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

Re: I lurked here.....

• Options
    I don't even think this board existed (?) when I was pregnant with my girls, so no, I didn't lurk. I've peeked on other boards, though, so I can't imagine this board wouldn't have crossed my path at some point...
    A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
  • Options

I lurked, but more because I have a rare disease and was always curious to see if anyone else was dealing with it.

and then DS was born with his own SN and well I'm here.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageToastieSimons:

I lurked, but more because I have a rare disease and was always curious to see if anyone else was dealing with it.

and then DS was born with his own SN and well I'm here.

This exactly. I lurked here but because I have a rare disease too and was curious if anyone else would post asking about it, so I could help if needed.

• Options

I lurked.

I guess I've always had kind of a fear that if anything went wrong in my (admittedly very good) life, it would huge. Life-changing. Like a disaster, or something being wrong with my kid(s). It was a kind of "there but for the grace of God go I" thing with lurking, but also me wondering if I was going to end up here, and how people deal.

And here I am. At times I feel like some part of me was expecting this. Does that count as pessimism, or precognition? :P

But then, I also lurked on the infertility boards, too, because I was afraid we'd have trouble TTC, and that didn't happen. I guess I'm kind of an anxious person. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Options
    I lurked a bit.  I'm a therapist, so I answered when I thought it was helpful.  I also appreciated the perspective it gave me.  I was in a bit of denial about my own DS, and didn't know if he would be considered "special needs."  It sounds pretty silly writing it out.
  • Options

I lurked when my son was going through PT for Torticollis and wearing his DOC Bands. But I didn't see (at the time) many posts about it and felt awkward starting one. So I primarily posted in Babycenter's group.

Now that DS has speech and other delays, I've found this group to be very welcoming and informative. I hope it's "just" the delay but I know if it's not, I have good support here.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options

I never lurked.... I didn't even know this board existed because the term "special needs" was so far from my vocabulary when I was pregnant.  I never in a million years thought anything would be wrong with my child.  In fact my husband's worst fear was that something would be wrong.  When he had genetics classes in grad school he started worrying about his future children and never stopped worrying.  He used to drive me crazy.  And now we wonder if all of those worries so many years ago was a sign of some sort. 

Assemby Requires....I love the new siggy picture :)

• Options

This place was never a twinkle in my eye.

Then, DS started having seizures at 3 months and I needed someone to talk to who had been there. I had been on the Bump trimester boards, so I came back and found this one.  I have learned so much here. So thankful I found y'all!

• Options
    I started lurking a bit back when we were first told that ds may be autistic, I still lurk more than I post
  • Options
    I could be off but I don't think the SN board was here when I was pg. I do remember lurking when my DD was very young though.
    For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Me, too (to the original post). 
  • Options

I lurked for a long time too before we had a speech diagnosis.  I had some concerns that we were headed towards an autism diagnosis and wanted to learn as much as possible.  I'm glad that I did because in addition to speech DS has some sensory issues and I learned far more to be able to provide harmony in our house in that regard than I did from his OT.

• Options
    I currently lurk here- I am an ABA therapist and mother. I think the support given here is awesome and while my child has not been diagnosed with SN, I know that if the time does come, I will be a frequent poster. I also think that Auntie is a FOUNTAIN of info, y'all, for real. Since I began lurkdom, her posts have really help me identify with my clients and their families in a way that I hadn't before.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Nope, didn't lurk at all. When we found out about his diagnosis at our 20 week ultrasound I found this board and started posting. I don't think I ever looked at the other boards. I didn't know this board existed until I started to search after we found out about LO's special needs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"