2nd Trimester

I didn't know I was pregnant...

I am watching this right now and just don't get it.  How do you not know at all?!  Any pregnant ladies feel like they wouldn't know they were pregnant if they hadn't taken a pregnancy test?

The thing that gets me is that some of these people already have 2 kids!  Am I missing something?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: I didn't know I was pregnant...

• HAHA! Literally just saw that on the directv guide and was thinking the exact same thing.
  • There are lots of reasons why I believe it's possible like an anterior placenta that makes movement less definitative or even impossible to feel. Also, some overweight women don't show like smaller women.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that it is totally crazy.  I told my husvand tht regardless of what doctors may tell you about you not being able to conceive or if you are taking birth control there is ALWAYS A CHANCE!!!  These woman are psycho!!
  • image5bears:

I am watching this right now and just don't get it.  How do you not know at all?!  Any pregnant ladies feel like they wouldn't know they were pregnant if they hadn't taken a pregnancy test?

The thing that gets me is that some of these people already have 2 kids!  Am I missing something?

When I was in college I worked as a cook in a restaurant that had a learning disabled husband and wife dish washer team.  They had a baby without knowing when I worked there.  She went into labor when he wasn't home and called 911, ending up with her giving birth in the house.  When we asked them about it, they thought she was just gaining weight and they didn't know much about reproduction, so they didn't pay attention to her period.  She said she didn't have any sickness. At one point the husband told me, "We had no idea! Went to King's Island twice!" 

The strangest part?  After I graduated and left the restaurant, they did the exact same thing again.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LOL  It's possible.  In just about every case, they list a reasoning for why the person didn't notice the various signs. 

Reasons for missing the lack of period: PCOS, spotting that is mistaken for period, irregular periods, stress, etc.  Reasons for missing symptoms: food poisoning, other illnesses, mistaking movement for gas, weight gain for other symptom/because of cravings/because of lack of energy, etc.

Sometimes the women are oblivious to everything, but on a lot of them I've seen, they have good reason to believe that they are imagining things if they even notice it at all.  A lot of those women had multiple negative HPTs - which can be very convincing.   There are even women here on the bump who have either had it happen or know someone personally who it has happened to. 

Lucas Arlo - 2/26/10, Cordelia Jane - 1/20/12 
    #3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • imageLace&Josh:
    There are lots of reasons why I believe it's possible like an anterior placenta that makes movement less definitative or even impossible to feel. Also, some overweight women don't show like smaller women.

Another good point.  I had one with DS and I have one now.  I can feel internal movement because I know what it is.  I could easily blame it on gas.  I only felt DS kick twice throughout the whole pregnancy.  If I truly believed I wasn't pregnant, I would have written that off on something else too.

#3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • I had a friend that didn't know until she was about 8 months.  She partied her butt off the whole time too.  She was larger and was putting weight on all over so it wasn't blatantly obvious.  She didn't have regular cycles and spotted off an on through out.  She finally listened to a friend and me and went to a Dr, when she did they did blood work and found out she was pregnant.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There are a few of them where I can get it--medical disorders and a history of irregular periods.  But I'm always confused about when they think they're having a bowel movement but they're really in labor.  I mean, I know I've never had baby...but from what I've heard you can differentiate the two!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • It's very possible. There are several medical conditions that mock pregnancy symptoms. Multiple Sclerosis, for example... It can cause weight gain, crazy cycles, cramping, etc...My cousin is overweight and has PCOS and she didn't know she was pregnant until she was 32 weeks along. She never felt the baby move.

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and at this point (if my cycles were irregular) I still wouldn't know I was pregnant b/c I just look like I gained some weight. I don't have a definite pregnant belly. I can still suck my tummy in flat. I definitely feel my baby kicking, but that's only b/c I KNOW I have a baby in there. I could easily mistake the kicks for gas bubbles. It happens...

Nia, Mom to Jayden Michael, Born 12/04/06, Adopted 12/07/06
    And Elias Parker, Born 3.5 weeks early 12/20/2011 image
    FINALLY!!! After 7 years of infertility! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know it's not exactly the same, but my aunt had spotting that she took as her period right through her pregnancy. She was 6 months along before she found out she was pregnant. She now has a 6 year old, but feels like she never really experienced "being pregnant" because she only knew she was for a couple of months. 

Expecting #2 In June 2014
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I LOVE that show!   Some of the women just seem like they're not the brightest, but others made sense.   I'm not as far along as some of you ladies yet, but if it weren't for the missed period I wouldn't know I'm pregnant.  No sickness or major symptoms, etc.

I actually have friend (intelligent and with it) who didn't find out she was pregnant w/ her third until somewhere around 20 weeks.  She was in the process of losing a bunch of weight (from her 2nd).  I guess early on she suspected she might be, but got a couple negative HPT  and the doctors office even said she wasn't.  She ended up going in to the ER because she was having some pain, they did an u/s thinking it was something else and low and behold there was a baby in there!  He's now a happy, healthy 3 year old!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I have a friend who was larger, had seemingly random periods and with both of her kids, she had NO IDEA until about 6 months for both.
  • image5bears:
    There are a few of them where I can get it--medical disorders and a history of irregular periods.  But I'm always confused about when they think they're having a bowel movement but they're really in labor.  I mean, I know I've never had baby...but from what I've heard you can differentiate the two!

I think it depends.  At the actual pushing point of labor, I just felt a ton of pressure in that region and the need to push it out.  It really does feel like the largest bowel movement ever.  LOL  And they tell you to push the same way.  Just imagine yourself in that situation: if you are feeling pressure to push in your neither regions and you "knew" you weren't pregnant, wouldn't you assume it was an apocalyptic-like bowel movement?  Now that I've had one that way, I would hope I'd recognize the difference, but if it's a first time mom or a VBAC situation, I can see how they wouldn't know.

#3 is due 8/27/14

imageimage
  • I would have no idea if I didn't test. And I only tested on a whim.

My period is irregular. I'm overweight. I'm minorly nauseous regularly anyway, and only got sick once early on.

I had a steady weight, lost weight, was steady again, and recently started gaining slowly.

My only "signs" are kicks recently that honestly could have been written off as gas until the last couple days when they've gotten strong. Also rolling over in bed hurt for awhile, but I would honestly think it was because of over-straining myself, which I would be doing if I didn't know I was pregnant.

As for labor...  my mom when she had my brother had NO idea she was in labor (a couple weeks early) - she just had back pain and had a Drs appt anyway. He was a very quick labor too, go figure.

DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

• imagehisbeautyalways:

I would have no idea if I didn't test. And I only tested on a whim.

My period is irregular. I'm overweight. I'm minorly nauseous regularly anyway, and only got sick once early on.

I had a steady weight, lost weight, was steady again, and recently started gaining slowly.

My only "signs" are kicks recently that honestly could have been written off as gas until the last couple days when they've gotten strong. Also rolling over in bed hurt for awhile, but I would honestly think it was because of over-straining myself, which I would be doing if I didn't know I was pregnant.

This, for me too, almost word for word. If I hadn't tested, there's no way we'd know. I've missed periods in the past - no biggie. Didn't have morning sickness - I was just tired (which could be attributed to work, stress, heat, whatever). Didn't start gaining weight until 22 weeks in. And to me, kicking feels like indigestion. I don't know that I'd make it all nine months without figuring something out, but I could have gone a good long while without knowing I was pregnant.

• image5bears:
    There are a few of them where I can get it--medical disorders and a history of irregular periods.  But I'm always confused about when they think they're having a bowel movement but they're really in labor.  I mean, I know I've never had baby...but from what I've heard you can differentiate the two!

Labor with my first felt like I had to make a BM but nothing came out. My sister told me to go to L&D to just get checked out. Water broke as soon as I got hooked up to machines. So it is possible. 

• I can understand getting pretty far into the pregnancy without knowing, but going a full 8-9 months is the part that gets me. Weight gain is one thing, but a concentrated 6-7 pound+ growth in your middle section??? Plus, the kicks and movements I felt in the third trimester were insanely strong... At a minimum, weird enough that I would have gone to the doctor (and I never go to the doctor!).

That said... "real" contractions feel exactly like extremely severe bowel movement cramps. So, I can see where if they DID manage to get to that point, labor would make you sit on the toilet. :)  

I'm a sick for 3 straight months, no period, belly out front kind of pregnant gal, though, so it's really tough for me to relate!  

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My mom didn't know she was pregnant with me until about 5 or 6 months. She was on birth control, had a regular period and never felt a kick or movement. It wasn't until she was in a minor car accident and had to go to the hospital where they told her "You're ok and the baby is ok!" Biggest shock to her.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Carter 5.25.10   Charlotte 2.6.12   Baby#3 5.17.15
  • My mom didn't know until she was 19 weeks, but she knew something was up. The doctors actually thought I was a tumor in her belly and did x rays on her.

My MIL didn't know she was pregnant with my husband until she was 5 months. They told her she was pregnant and she was shocked to find out she was so far along, and when she went to get her tubes tied over a year after having him it turns out she was pregnant again.

Because of how symptom free this pregnancy is, I could see myself not knowing for awhile if I hadn't been trying to get pregnant in the first place and charting. I peed a bit more, never really got sick and felt the same pretty much. I could even see myself mistaking movement for the stomach rumblings you get before you have diarrhea.

• My sisters friend went 7 months without knowing because she barely gained weight and had no symptoms.  She wasn't overweight either so my guess is she may have had an anterior placenta.  It was def a shocking and tough time for her since she was younger at 18, but in the end it all worked out and the baby was healthy and is now a healthy kid.
  • I have a friend that was going through chemo and radiation off and on since she was a teenager (shes in her early 40s now), and the doctors told her that she was peri-menapausal (sp?) and that there was no way she could have kids. In 2005, she was rushed to the doctor for heavy menstrual bleeding and cramps and they shrugged it off as symptoms of everything shes been thru. When her stomach started cramping really bad to the point where she was screaming they rushed her back to make sure it wasnt internal bleeding or something rupturing inside her. The u/s showed she was pregnant and ready to give birth. Her son was born completely healthy, and he was a big baby!!

Definately a miracle baby! Healthy and smart as ever!

Shes a heavier woman, so I could see how she wouldnt know. And from talking to alot of people who have been through chemo and radiation-you're pretty much sick all the time and your body doesnt really feel like your own.

• i took the test only because we were getting ready to move and it was the last one in the box.. why pack it... I had no signs of it yet.. however i was about 8 weeks.
  • I don't get that show either.  How could a person be that out of touch with their own body? 
  • My birth mom didn't know she was pregnant with me until she was 6 months preg.  She had her period the whole time and the only clue was that she got pneumonia and nothing she did or take made it go away so they did some testing and found out she was preg.  My birth mom wasn't a large or overweight person either.  She only gained 15 lbs with me and wore normal clothes the whole time she was preg. So I understand how some people don't know they are preg.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• The baby makes movements all around the belly, so if you don't feel it where the anterior placenta is, you'll feel it elsewhere.

My placenta is anterior, and slightly to the right. I feel baby everywhere. Top, bottom, sides, etc.

There's no mistaking that kick in the vagina for anything else.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • I am sure some cases on the show are legit, but I imagine a fair amount are instances of pregnancy denial. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_denial 

DD #1: 2012; MMC: 2014; DD #2: 2015; It's a boy! 3/31/2018

• It is hard to believe, but I know a lady who was a size 2 and didn't know until she was in the hospital with terrible stomach pains.  Her husband was overseas and got a call that his wife had a baby.  He was furious, thinking she'd hid it from him & that it wasn't his.

It was his, and thankfully, is the spitting image of him!   But yes-- quite amazing that she was a size 2 and never showed or knew it.  She didn't have any other kids, so we have nothing to compare it to.  Really crazy though! 

• I laughed at this show every single time that I saw it on....

The truth is that I had NO IDEA that I was pregnant until I was well into my second trimester. AND the only reason I figured something was off is because I started to not fit into any of my clothes for work. [I have always been really irregular even on birth control.]

Since I have taken a pregnancy test I started showing... But I know girls who are small and never really showed at all it just looked like they gained 5 lbs or so.... AND other girls who are a bit curvier and didn't know until they were at the end of their pregnancies. 

I think that everyone is different and that if you are not in-tune with your body it is something that you can miss.

• I actually went to the same University as one of the girls on that show.  I was told my many, many people that knew her that she was basically just in denial about the whole thing and by the end she was wearing really baggy clothes and sweatshirts.  The weird thing was that she wanted to stay anonymous in the school paper but then a few months later I saw her on the television show!!  It was very strange.  I do believe that some women legitimately don't know, though. Although, in my case it would have been impossible! loll
  • My MIL didn't know she was pregnant with my DH until she was 5 months.  She had no symptoms, had been told she couldn't have any more children, and thought she was just eating too much because of some medication she had been put on.  She only figured it out when she started feeling him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"