Health & Exercise
Options

postpartum hyperthyroidism?

So i went to get bloodwork done last month to see what my labs were after i had my son because my husband and i wanted to do a juice fast to improve our health. My dr tested my thyroid and turns out my TSH levels were less than .01 and my T4 was 19 indicating hyperthyroidism and they found 2 nodules on my thyroid in an ultrasound. Has anybody else dealt w/ this postpartum?? Im hoping its just from having him that its wacky but I dont think it is :(

Re: postpartum hyperthyroidism?

• Options
    I have Hashimoto's which has caused hypothyroidism. I had it before I got pregnant, and I needed extra medicine while pregnant. My levels have become closer to my normal since dd was born. I hope this is the case for you but it took me about 8 months to get it regulated. I know that hypothyroidism is different from hyperthyroidism but maybe it works the same way with pregnancy and your levels will go closer to normal the further postpartum you become. Good luck to you! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

ugh...i am going thru this same thing right now.  after my dd was born weight just fell right off, i was probably 20 lbs less than i weighed prepregnancy my 12 weeks post partum.  i thought that it was all related to nursing... and didn't mind at all! but i developed severe joint pain, eventually went to thr dr. for it. (i am an rn, so i have a tendancy to ignor my own health!) so my dr. did some lab work and low and be hold i had an over active thyroid, it all made sense, starving all the time, losing weight with out trying, sweating, and feeling nervous at times.  she sent me to an endocrinologist who said it was prob just postpartum thyroiditis and will eventually regulate it self. yesterday i had more lab work and my thyroid is now hypoactive....i have noticed that i am cold now, no longer sweating and that i have gained 5 lbs inthe past week, and my hair is falling out like crazy! she did say that this may happen.  i am going for my ultrasound today, you should for sure follow up on those nodules...good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks for replying! It helps to have someone who knows what Im going through! I too was losing weight like crazy (48lbs in 3 1/2 months and 10 of that is not baby weight!) I thought it was breastfeeding too but I had symptoms like joint/muscle pain, sweating like crazy ( i usually sweat a lot but this was definitely way more) and muscle weakness like my thighs would shake just walking down our steps and I didnt really have the increase in appetite more like i had no appetite which is definitely not normal for me! Anyways NOW my symptoms have subsided considerably and Ive also started to gain some weight when I havent changed my eating habits at all so I made my dr's office retest my blood to see if anything has changed so when I go to the endocrinologist I'll have everything updated. I know it sounds awful but Im terribly scared of putting a bunch of weight back on (i gained like 20 lbs before I got pregnant) I just cant afford to put anymore on, Im only 5'4 LOL! Anyways I hope your ultrasound went ok if you get back on here I'd love to here an update maybe it'll give me some hope!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"