Working Moms
Options

For those whose LOs are not STTN

What does your evening/nighttime routine look like? When do you work in an extra pumping session (if you do)?

Right now we put DS to bed at 8. I do a dreamfeed at 9:30 and put him right back down. Then I get up to pump at midnight(ish). Then DS wakes anywhere from 3-5 a.m., though sometimes he does sleep through 'til 6. 

Anyway, the nights I'm up twice (to pump at midnight and to feed at 3ish) suck because I'm basically only sleeping in 2.5-hr chunks (at most) all night. But I really do need an extra pump session to cover what he gets in his bottles and to continue building the stash.

The only thing I can figure out is to drop the dreamfeed, pump at that time, and then just get up whenever he gets up (I'm predicting around 1 or so). Thoughts?

Dear Bump: You suck.

Re: For those whose LOs are not STTN

• Options

DD goes to bed around 7:30/8. We don't dreamfeed, so for a while I was doing a pumping session before going to bed around 10 (lately I've been skipping that since we seem to be keeping up ok for now with just daytime pumping). DD wakes up anywhere from once to three times per night, so I can't imagine adding another time I'd have to wake up to that!

Since it sounds like your DS can go about 6 hours before eating again, if you just feed him before bed at 8, he may just wake up at 2 to nurse, then go back down for the rest of the night. so I'd definitely try skipping the dreamfeed and pumping at that time instead of at midnight. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

what about pushing your dream feed back some - say to 1030 or 11, and then cancelling out the midnight pump and just pump again as soon as he comes off of you at that point???

DS #2 isn't sttn yet, but for DS #1 we would put him down at 8pm, then do a dream feed around 1130pm and he would then sleep through to 6 or 630 each morning

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH and I used to have shifts- I would nurse DS and put him to sleep around 8, and then pump and go to sleep myself.  Any feedings before 1ish, DH would handle with pumped bottles.  Then I would get up and nurse him for later feedings.  With this routine, I was usually able to get a 6hr stretch from 9-3am, and then 3:30-6, and DH got to sleep from 12-6 or 1-7.  Having a longer strech of continuous sleep helped a ton!  Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well I go back to work tomorrow so we will see how it goes, but my plan is to get DS down around 8:00 and pump at 10ish before going to bed.  I expect him to wake around 2-3 for a feeding and then hope he can make it until 6 when we will be up for the day and then I can  nurse and pump.  Hoping that and 2 pumps at work will be enough to keep up with his demand, but time will tell. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD goes down between 10 and 10:30.  Right before bed, DH feeds her while I pump at 9:30.  I do not pump in the middle of the night.  When she wakes to eat, I nurse her from my left side only (1-2 times, sometimes 3).  I then pump at 6:30am when I wake up.  Depending when DD last ate, she may or may not be hungry at this time.  If she is, DH gives her a bottle.
  • Options

There's no way I'd get up to pump just to build a stash.  I probably wouldn't even do it to get enough for bottles.  Sleep is very precious in my house.

I've found that dreamfeeding actually made DD wake up more often--I don't know if it made her unsettled and thus sleep worse or what.  I would try skipping it and see how it goes.

When do you pump during the day?  I have found that my best pump session is first thing when I get to work, even if I've nursed just a little before.  So I try to pump then no matter what.  I never get much when I pump in the evening.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I feed at 8:00, again about 11:30/12:00/1:00ish (whenever he wakes up again) and then I dropped the 3:00 feeding recently.  He wakes up still, but I just let him sleep with me after that until we get up at 5:00.  He'll go right back to sleep if I put him in bed with me.  I could never make myself pump at night.  I'd rather have my sleep!  I feed him about 5:30 before work and then I pump after that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't pump at night.  My LO goes to sleep at 7:30 and wakes up around 3:30-4.  She eats and then goes back to sleep within 30 mins until around 7.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Why are you getting up to pump?? Can you pump on the weekends instead? I used to pump on Sat and Sun mornings after DS first feeding to get a few extra ounces.

Sleep (or lack thereof) does affect your supply. I wonder if the extra sleep might increase your output during the day. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefinancialdiva:

Why are you getting up to pump?? Can you pump on the weekends instead? I used to pump on Sat and Sun mornings after DS first feeding to get a few extra ounces.

Sleep (or lack thereof) does affect your supply. I wonder if the extra sleep might increase your output during the day. 

I'd rather sleep and supplement w/ a little formula instead of only sleeping 5 hours a night.  That would get old really fast for me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'd either pump in the morning or pump over the weekend (once a day) if you need the extra milk. After a little while of this, you may not even need too and pump enough during the day. Make sure none of your BM is getting thrown out during the day and that they're not overfeeding him. Getting up to feed your baby is one thing; getting up to pump is just horrible!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"