1st Trimester

Question about 1st prenatal appt

So they scheduled my first ultrasound in a few weeks (EXCITED) and then my first prenatal appointment a couple of days later. I've already went to had blood drawn and gave a urine sample for my labs. The intake nurse mentioned a physical for that appointment and a pelvic exam.

My question is do I need another pelvic exam if I just had a pap smear less than 3 months ago Or is this different than a pap smear?

I'm a first time Mommy, so I don't know all the answers :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question about 1st prenatal appt

• I had my first prenatal appointment yesterday. 

My doctor did a standard check-up (listen to my heart, breathing, blood pressure, height, weight) then a breast exam and pap smear because I hadn't had them done in 3 years.  If I had been up-to-date I don't think it would have been necessary but I'm also a first time mom so I am kind of clueless.

• I had to get another pap when I went to my 1st appt though I have gotten one recently too. Don't know why but I guess it's for precaution. 

It's the same type of smear. I actually started bleeding and the dr said it was normal since now our cervix has more blood rushed to that area. I was freaking out a bit the day after but its ok. Since then I have been to my 2nd appt and saw my LO again.,,.:)

Congrats and good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • I just had a pap done in February for my annual, so my OB doctor just asked me to have the family doctor fax over the results so they could put them on file. Otherwise, she would have done another pap.
  • Mine does a full physical, internal and pap regardless of when your last one was. 
  • My MW didn't do a Pap during my last pregnancy since I wasn't due for another one until after DS would be born.  I think she still an exam though but I don't remember for sure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my first pregnancy as well. During my first appointment (at 8 weeks), I had a vaginal ultrasound.  I went back at 10 weeks for the pelvic exam/pap smear. I had one prior about 8 months ago. But my Dr. explained to me the purpose of the pelvic exam would be to determine if I would be able to deliver vaginally. So I think you Dr. may do another one for those purposes and to see whether or not your pap smear comes back normal.  They had some concerns from my pap smear, so yesterday I had a colposcopy (where they look at the cervix more closely) and everything looked fine.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Follow my journey via my pregnancy diary: http://www.youtube.com/user/farab0verubiez
  • imageab0verubiez:
    This is my first pregnancy as well. During my first appointment (at 8 weeks), I had a vaginal ultrasound.  I went back at 10 weeks for the pelvic exam/pap smear. I had one prior about 8 months ago. But my Dr. explained to me the purpose of the pelvic exam would be to determine if I would be able to deliver vaginally. So I think you Dr. may do another one for those purposes and to see whether or not your pap smear comes back normal.  They had some concerns from my pap smear, so yesterday I had a colposcopy (where they look at the cervix more closely) and everything looked fine.

So I went back and look at the paperwork. I had my pap smear four days before my LMP. So literally like 3-4 weeks before I got pregnant. I wonder if the doctor will still want to perform another one?  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"