Blended Families

Food Stamps and Car Tags

My SS's BM is a constantly dragging us into court and have lied about things in the court room on several occasions.  She just got a nursing job and is making as much as my DH but has just decided to go back to court to request to have child support raised when it should be getting lowered.  She will not win but we still ahve to pay thousands in legal fee's to fight it in court.  This happens every 6 months or so. 

She has alientated stepson from DH and expecially myself for no reason other than she does not like me.  She has really done a number on the poor kid who I love dearly. 

So to the point we recieved a letter last year and again last week from the school stating that my SS will recieve free lunches because she is on food stamps.  However she makes over $50K a year and gets child support.  She also drive a car with out of state plates to cheat the system and aviod paying taxes in our state.  After everything she has done to us and the way she treats us and SS I want to turn her into the government for both abusing the food stamp system and the license plates.  I think it will look good in court to expose her for who she really is.  Would anyone else do this?  I don't want to be that type of person but we need to fight against her b/c of the court situation

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Food Stamps and Car Tags

• The courts will not care if you bring it up during a hearing.  Take it up with the appropriate agencies.  Personally I don't think you'll get far with the vehicle tags, but the welfare assistance program might be pretty interested that she's abusing their system. 

I wouldn't think twice about reporting it. However, I wouldn't do it to be vindictive - I'd just do it because it's the right thing to do. 

• My initial thought were to just report it because it's the right thing to do and it takes away from someone else who really needs it.  However my DH wanted to use it as ammo in court.  And unfortunatly the judge in our area does get into stupid stuff like this.  Everytime we have been the judge has never stuck to the issues at hand and always brings in extra garbage
  • Loading the player...
  • I understand your urge to report her, and I have no idea whether it's the right thing to do. But just for me personally, under those circumstances, I would not want to be a parent that had a hand in my child's other parent going to jail or incurring whatever other penalties. 

It sucks. My credit got destroyed by my XH, and I had several opportunities to have him found in contempt of our CO. But I just couldn't get myself to make the call to my attorney.

I wouldn't judge someone else for doing it, though.  

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Did the school letter specifically say she is on food stamps?  I know the schools around here send home a packet, and in the packet is the application to get free lunch, and it is based on income, however, I don't think they verify.  Or they might?  Or was she getting assistance before she got her new job, and it is just not updated.

I would just make sure, before brining up alligations in court.  But you bet your a$$ that if it was indeed true, I would make it known!  Just have proof.

• Yes we did look into this because it did not state free lunches it specifically says she is on food stamps this year. 
  • You can't tag and title a car in a state if you don't have residency there. Nor can you get state assistance in one state but have residency elsewhere (which she would have to in order to have her car tagged elsewhere). There is more to this story.
  • I would report her because it is the right thing to do. BM claimed SS (in SS's 11 years he has NEVER lived with her) so she could get more food stamps. It came up in court and they did nothing. They told her she better get off of them and that's it! 
  • Not sure what you mean by there is more to this story...

What happened is her parents bought the car in their name for her in another state where they live.  In our state if you reside here you must have a car with this state's licence plates.  So in essense she kept the out of state license plate to avoid paying car taxes and getting tags for her car each year.  People do it all the time to avoid paying and it is illegal there's a website to report it 

• I do know you can report her to both the school and welfare office. Even though the F/R program asks for FS number you can report she is now earning too much and they will ask for verification of her employment. My MIL works with the applications at a local school so I know all too well that they do random checks on applications throughout the year. Once you know she has a month's worth of pay stubs I would not hesitate to report her to the welfare office as well.
    ~Amy
  • imageKristenFMR:

Not sure what you mean by there is more to this story...

What happened is her parents bought the car in their name for her in another state where they live.  In our state if you reside here you must have a car with this state's licence plates.  So in essense she kept the out of state license plate to avoid paying car taxes and getting tags for her car each year.  People do it all the time to avoid paying and it is illegal there's a website to report it 

and she cansayvshe is borrowing her parents car, since it is obviously titled in their names. It's not illegal to borrow someones car. It is illegal to finance a car for someone else though, it's called a straw purchase. However, they are impossible to prove (see above) and it would be pointless to try to get her in trouble over it. Especially bc no car likely means no job. No job means possibly paying more in CS and it also means the child caught in the middle of this wouldn't have a mother with reliable transportation. So would it accomplish anything positive???? Now the food stamps/free lunches, I may contact the welfare office, but chances are theyvwill catch up to her sooner or later.
  • Contact the appropriate agency for the Food Stamps issue. 

There is not enough money for those who are actually in need, so why should someone NOT in need get it.  These are the stories you hear from the far right when they justify shutting down any and all social welfare programs.

While I am not a fan of them, there is a need...so lets do our level best to ensure that the programs are there for those in need.

As for the guilts of turning in the other parent....the person guilty is the obne who did the illegal act.  If this BM had not tried to work the system, (with is WELFAIR FRAUD), then she woudl nto be getting into trouble in the first place.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageIlumine:

Contact the appropriate agency for the Food Stamps issue. 

There is not enough money for those who are actually in need, so why should someone NOT in need get it.  These are the stories you hear from the far right when they justify shutting down any and all social welfare programs.

While I am not a fan of them, there is a need...so lets do our level best to ensure that the programs are there for those in need.

As for the guilts of turning in the other parent....the person guilty is the obne who did the illegal act.  If this BM had not tried to work the system, (with is WELFAIR FRAUD), then she woudl nto be getting into trouble in the first place.

I don't disagree that it's welfare fraud and should be addresses. However, now that she I working, as a nurse no less, her income and place of employment will be reported to the state. Which is wht I suggested going it a few weeks. There should be no guilt for reporting that. The car on the other hand, that could prevent her from keeping that job if she were to lose it. Which in the end is only going to effect her child and potentially the amount they pay in CS. Seems like that one could come back to bite them. BM can't hold a job bc she has no car, could very well equal dad pays more.
  • imagexmaryrickx:
    imageIlumine:

Contact the appropriate agency for the Food Stamps issue. 

I don't disagree that it's welfare fraud and should be addresses. However, now that she I working, as a nurse no less, her income and place of employment will be reported to the state. Which is wht I suggested going it a few weeks. There should be no guilt for reporting that. The car on the other hand, that could prevent her from keeping that job if she were to lose it. Which in the end is only going to effect her child and potentially the amount they pay in CS. Seems like that one could come back to bite them. BM can't hold a job bc she has no car, could very well equal dad pays more.

I am not sure what state you live in but in our state the laws are a little different you cannot "borrow" a car from someone in this state.  Here's is the law on it

'law requires the registration of motor vehicles within 15 days from the date they are brought into Kentucky for use.'

And they would not take her car away she would just need to pay taxes like everyone else in the state.  There is a program called Freddie Freeloader set up to report these instances.  The drivers licence state and the state on the license plate must match.  I was pulled over within a week of moving back here from Florida and found that out, they gave me a month to change it.  She has been driving her car like this for 2 years.  It's just another way of cheating the system.  Just as she does with CS.

But I do value you opinion on the fact that the child support may be raised, that's a good point.  However in these instances, they just make the person pay back taxes owed.

• If she is receiving food stamps once she goes to recertify for them she will most likely lose them. 

And do you know when the lunch form was filled out if you have already gotten it back it may have been before she got this job.  In my area we just received the form to fill out about a week ago, and you dont get the answer until the end of September.

Now that she has a better paying job maybe she will change the tags on her car.  Now being able to afford the insurance.

You said "We need to fight against her b/c of the court situation.  Just be aware when mud slinging starts no one knows how its going to end.  Its possible that after everything she can look like the one that picked herself up out of a bad situation and now has a good job and has come off of government aid.

If based on the calculators the child support should be lower and if your DH is paying to much.  I would think the satisfaction would be watching her walk out of the court room with less child support then what she walked in with, and knowing it was her own fault.

• How is it illegal to have a car with out of state plates?  I did when my parents legally owned my car.  They paid for insurance and maintenance, but I was the driver.

I think you're being a little petty, but I can understand where you're coming from if she's being petty also. 

I don't know that I'd mess with the food stamps.  The BM in our case also worked but got government assistance for some things, even though she didn't really need it.  I wasn't about to rat her out for it, though, since I knew her income was going towards drugs; it was nice to know that her kids were still getting some food to eat.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Depending on the state...it is illegal to have the car for more than a certain number of days.  IE you cannot borrow the car indefinitly.  When I was still in College in NY, I got a summer job in VA.  Even though I did not have a VA license, I was not a VA resident, I was still harrassed by the local cops because they saw my car parked in teh same drive way after the 30 day period was up. 

The ONLY savings grace was that I was still a resident of the state of NY (just like many out of state college students are).  But the second I became a VA resident, I would have only 30 days to register the car under my name.

Why, because the state TAXES property and cars are considered taxable property.  And they will not allow you to cheat their state out of the money.

ESPECIALLY WHEN you are getting STATE WELLFARE $$$ that is generated from said taxable property.

And the thing is, many states that tax cars have dispensations FOR people under a certain income level.....

This is the exact situation the far right loves to point at when they go gunning for welfare programs during the Approps season. 

I lost my first patient *(when I was a patient advocate) because she had to stop her cancer treatments because she incomed out of State Medicaid.  There HAD been special dispensations for people undergoing treatment in her State, but due to budget costs...the state had to cut that "program". 

She lost her care for 3 months (she came to me in month 3), before I was able to work something out for her through charitable contributions and the drug company.  But it was too late.  She died, leaving her two sons to her elderly mother (her sons had already lost their dad to a DD). 

If there wasnt such rampant fraud, there would have been monies in the coffers for Janifer. 

So no...I have absolutely NO sympathy for this BM. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageIlumine:

Depending on the state...it is illegal to have the car for more than a certain number of days.  IE you cannot borrow the car indefinitly.  When I was still in College in NY, I got a summer job in VA.  Even though I did not have a VA license, I was not a VA resident, I was still harrassed by the local cops because they saw my car parked in teh same drive way after the 30 day period was up. 

The ONLY savings grace was that I was still a resident of the state of NY (just like many out of state college students are).  But the second I became a VA resident, I would have only 30 days to register the car under my name.

Why, because the state TAXES property and cars are considered taxable property.  And they will not allow you to cheat their state out of the money.

ESPECIALLY WHEN you are getting STATE WELLFARE $$$ that is generated from said taxable property.

And the thing is, many states that tax cars have dispensations FOR people under a certain income level.....

This is the exact situation the far right loves to point at when they go gunning for welfare programs during the Approps season. 

I lost my first patient *(when I was a patient advocate) because she had to stop her cancer treatments because she incomed out of State Medicaid.  There HAD been special dispensations for people undergoing treatment in her State, but due to budget costs...the state had to cut that "program". 

She lost her care for 3 months (she came to me in month 3), before I was able to work something out for her through charitable contributions and the drug company.  But it was too late.  She died, leaving her two sons to her elderly mother (her sons had already lost their dad to a DD). 

If there wasnt such rampant fraud, there would have been monies in the coffers for Janifer. 

So no...I have absolutely NO sympathy for this BM. 

That story is so sad.  I'm sorry to had a lose a friend that way that is exactly what makes me so mad about situations like this.  The BM is living high on the hog she has a new car new house does whatever she wants when she wants because she is soaking off us and the goverment.  And other people who are good people have to pay because she is white trash. 

And to the poster who said I am being petty maybe I am maybe I am not but after this woman has lied in court about me and my husband for years and creates some false "situation" to drag us back into court for every 6 months or so I am going to do what I can to put a stop to her. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"