1st Trimester

How did you tell your parents and in-laws?

I'm looking for some cute ways to tell my parents and in-laws.  We'll see them all around Thanksgiving (I'll be 13 weeks or so), and I'd love to give them a cute gift to reveal the pregnancy.  My sister-in-law gave each one a box with a baby girl and boy shoe in it for her reveal.  That was adorable!  I'm looking for something cute like that -- but different, of course.:)

Re: How did you tell your parents and in-laws?

• There were some fun ways in a recent post further down... :)

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/57508946.aspx

• When my hubby and I told my parents a few weeks ago (I'm 11 weeks, 4 days now), I bought a copy of the "Giving Tree" and wrote a message on the inside cover for my parents. My message said that the book was one of my favorite books growing up, that it reminded me so much of them, and that I remembered them reading it to me all the time when I was a little girl. I went on to say that I couldn't wait for them to read the book to my baby one day very soon. My mom read it and said "Oh how sweet." Then, she and my Dad read it a second time and said, "wait....are you.....pregnant?!?!?!" I told them yes and they erupted with excitement. We'd been trying 2 years and I'd started to think it would never happen for me. So, we were all so happy! My hubby caught it all on video. It was great!  When my sister told my family, she got us all together for a family picture one night, and said "Smile and say...Lori's pregnant!" She caught our reaction in the picture. It was awesome!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • At Hallmark they have this little countdown to grandma thingy. you change the numbers to how many weeks are left. We had my MIL open that.

And then I had my mom open up a BIB that says 'grandma makes me smile'. We always say she's our dog's grandma, lol so she was confused for a min, like wait - does the dog wear this? or is this a joke?

TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
    DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

• My parents live 3 states away from me, so I paid a company called garden grams to put a sign (see siggy pic) in my parents yard one night.  The sign said, "smile! Wyatt's gonna have a new cousin!" and my parents woke up to it the next morning and were ecstatic.

My angel Avery- 2/16/12, My rainbow Blake= 3/4/13, Joyfully awaiting #3 5/11/15
  • imagecareyalis:
    My parents live 3 states away from me, so I paid a company called garden grams to put a sign (see siggy pic) in my parents yard one night.  The sign said, "smile! Wyatt's gonna have a new cousin!" and my parents woke up to it the next morning and were ecstatic.

That's awesome! I never knew a company like that even existed.

OP- For our first we gave them each a grandparents willowtree and for my mil, we also gave her a card from our dog thanking her for watching her a weekend and it said ps: mama says I'm going to be a big sis.

For this one, I bought picture frames with the matting and had DD finger paint it. I put a picture of DD in a big sis shirt in the frame and gave it to our parent.s

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am 29 weeks with my 2nd child.  I came up with the idea of telling my parents and in-laws by having a little fashion show with our 15 mo old daughter: she would come out showing off different pretty dresses (which of course they love seeing her dressed up).  For the grand finale, she came out wearing a BIG SISTER t-shirt.  My MIL was initially confused because "that's not a dress!"  But then she got it.  Unfortunately, I had to spell it out for my parents, but they sthought it was clever once I told them. 
  • imagecimafranca:
    I am 29 weeks with my 2nd child.  I came up with the idea of telling my parents and in-laws by having a little fashion show with our 15 mo old daughter: she would come out showing off different pretty dresses (which of course they love seeing her dressed up).  For the grand finale, she came out wearing a BIG SISTER t-shirt.  My MIL was initially confused because "that's not a dress!"  But then she got it.  Unfortunately, I had to spell it out for my parents, but they sthought it was clever once I told them. 

lol i know, parents can be slow sometimes...

TTC#2: 8/17/14 // BFP: 9/5/14

TTC#1: 7/30/11 // BFP: 8/22/11
    DS: Carson Robert 4/29/12

• imagecimafranca:
    I am 29 weeks with my 2nd child.  I came up with the idea of telling my parents and in-laws by having a little fashion show with our 15 mo old daughter: she would come out showing off different pretty dresses (which of course they love seeing her dressed up).  For the grand finale, she came out wearing a BIG SISTER t-shirt.  My MIL was initially confused because "that's not a dress!"  But then she got it.  Unfortunately, I had to spell it out for my parents, but they sthought it was clever once I told them. 

We're planning something similar.  I'll be nearly 10 weeks around my birthday.  When we celebrate, I plan to dress DD in a Big Sister shirt and see how long it takes people to notice.  My sisters and SIL already know.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Our first (lost to a miscarriage), but I thought we told in a cute way eventhough it didn't work out. We had gotten married in Oct 2009 and in Feb of 2010 we were already pregnant. So my MIL had ordered an album from the photographer and the photographer delivered it to us. So on the last page we put a picture of our pregnancy test and wrote "surprise we're expecting"

As she flipped through she was oohin and ahhhing the pictures and when she got to that she squealed and giggled and was so happy and ran around showing it to his bros and sis and everyone. It was exciting. So if you have any reason to show them pictures, you could put an ultrasound or preggo test pic in the mix for a surprise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We put an ultrasound picture in with some other pictures we were showing them.  It took them a little bit to figure out what the weird picture was! 
  • I got KU in Indonesia, so we made my dad & stepmom shirts that say "World's Best Kakek" and "Nenek" - they know that means grandma and grandpa in Indonesian. For my mom and MIL, we're sending them necklaces: one has the birthstone and says "grandma" and the other is a beach stone carved with little feet and "Spring 2010." And they're all getting a card with a pic from Indo on the front and the sonogram photo inside.

None of this has actually happened yet, though! Gifts have been ordered and I can't WAIT to give them! Hopefully my family isn't lurking on this board or they might figure it out LOL...don't know why they would be except for wishful thinking 

• We're telling our parents this weekend. My parents took us on a cruise to Bermuda (and thats when we got pregnant) so for him I made a onesie that says "Souvenir from Bermuda." For my MIL she is always loosing her reading glasses. Hallmark had a cute holder that says "What happens at Grandmas stays at Grandmas." All of our family knows that we have been trying so I'm hoping I won't have to explain either to them
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"