May 2011 Moms

Laundry

I'm going to assume we all know by now Dreft and all those "baby" detergents are really bad for baby, so what do wash your LO's clothes with? I ask because I use Method Free and Clear but I've noticed that all DS's clothes are looking faded. Also, since fabric softener is also bad, what do you use to soften his/her clothes? I wonder if it's the Method detergent or any residues left in the washer from his CD detergent(?). TIA.

Re: Laundry

• I don't use a F&C at all. I use regular Tide and I soften with vinegar in a Downy ball.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• CD detergent is supposed to be residue-free. I use Tiny Bubbles or Planet on my kids stuff. 

I soften with vinegar if anything at all.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I use soapnuts on clothes and cloth diapers and love them. They soften clothes on their own.
  • I use Sunlight Green F&C or else my leftover Rockin Green that doesn't seem to work well for my diapers (makes them repell within about 2 weeks).
  • imageSteph&Harry08:
    I wonder if it's the Method detergent or any residues left in the washer from his CD detergent(?). TIA.

Yeah, your CD detergent shouldn't have any residues. If anything, it's the Method that would be causing issues on your CD's.  

What CD detergent are you using? 

• I use Charlie's Soap.  It cleans both my cloth diapers and regular clothes.  Every month or so, I do a couple loads with non-chlorine bleach because things look a little dull, but I think that's because I have well water and the rust stains things.

I would recommend CS to anyone.  You do have to use it and nothing else because it will strip all the old soap residue from your washer and it will get on your clothes.  I just bought the 1000 load container of it on Amazon for $97.  I wash either diapers or regular clothes every day...at that rate the container will last me almost 3 years. 

ETA: I don't work for Charlie's Soap, I just really like it.  I feel like I just made a sales pitch here and didn't mean to.  

• i use All free and clear for all the clothes because im allergic to scents
  • We now use Charlie's Soap for all of our laundry too. I think I originally read about it on a cloth diapering site.
  • imageLisa Frank:

imageSteph&Harry08:
    I wonder if it's the Method detergent or any residues left in the washer from his CD detergent(?). TIA.

Yeah, your CD detergent shouldn't have any residues. If anything, it's the Method that would be causing issues on your CD's.  

What CD detergent are you using?  

I use Thirsties. Which I don't like, it doesn't seem to do anything to my CDs, might as well use plain water. I've been using Method F&C on his clothes since he was born and didn't have a problem, now that I think about it, until now that I switched to Thirsties, I was using Rockin Green and didn't like it either. CD detergents are supposed to be residue free, I knew that (silly me!) I mean if maybe it was a similar situation to using Charlie's Soap.

• I use Arm & Hammer perfume and dye free. It's cheap and works pretty well.
    DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• imagemelgrady:
    I use Arm & Hammer perfume and dye free. It's cheap and works pretty well.

We use this or ALL free and clear, but I also have Dreft and have had no problems, why is it bad??

Also for those of you who soften with vinegar, how do you use it? I love the idea of that over fabric softener(which we dont use, but I miss).

• imageelisbu:

imagemelgrady:

We use this or ALL free and clear, but I also have Dreft and have had no problems, why is it bad??

Also for those of you who soften with vinegar, how do you use it? I love the idea of that over fabric softener(which we dont use, but I miss).

Dreft is full of chemicals and scent, both of which can be bad for baby skin (my son has really bad skin). I just put vinegar in the softener spot in my washer.  

• imageAnneShirleyBlythe:
    imageelisbu:

imagemelgrady:

Dreft is full of chemicals and scent, both of which can be bad for baby skin (my son has really bad skin). I just put vinegar in the softener spot in my washer.  

Or in a Downy ball as I suggested above.  

• We use All F&C on clothes and Nellie's for CD.
    imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use All Free and Clear and skip fabric softener and dryer sheets altogether.

For stains I pre-soak in a solution of Oxi Clean Free and water.

• I use All F&C and sometimes Purex on our clothes.  I use Rockin' Green on our CDs.

Question about the Charlie's Soap- When you use it the first time do you run the wash w/o clothes in it b/c it gets the residue on them?  Or just double wash?  

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • imagealliejoe:

I use All F&C and sometimes Purex on our clothes.  I use Rockin' Green on our CDs.

Question about the Charlie's Soap- When you use it the first time do you run the wash w/o clothes in it b/c it gets the residue on them?  Or just double wash?  

You run a load of old towels or rags.  Then run it again to "reclean" them.  After that you're good to go. 

• ALL Free & Clear.

ETA: we don't CD though. I just read that was your specific question.

• We don't CD, but I use either All F&C or Costco's enviro detergent and Borax and I wash all our stuff together.  I also use All F&C dryer sheets and DD hasn't had any skin problems.
  • Arm & Hammer HE detergent (or Gain, or Tide, or whatever is on sale) and half of a dryer sheet.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"